Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is this a Vette block?

CarolT

I have what I am told is a 327 block from a 1967 Corvette. However, the casting number on the block is T0222HC. I am told that the Corvette engine was not made in NY at that time. The cylinder heads are camel hump casting number 3890462 on the heads but the block says the cylinder head number is GM3903352. I am so confused. I am looking to sell these parts and have no idea what I am even selling. I am also told that the crank is very rare. Please help.

Still Unsure

The HC suffix is for a 300-hp 327.

CN 3890462 was used on early-1967 versions of both 327/300s and 327350s. The 300-hp version had 1.94 intakes and the 350-hp version had 2.02 intakes.

From the info in your post, I'd say you have a 327/300 to sell.
Thanks, but I am still confused. Do you think it is from a Corvette and what about the casting numbers on the heads and the block being different?

The T at the beginning of the engine assembly code means that the engine was built in the GM engine plant in Tonawanda NY.

No small block Corvette engines were assembled there.

The HC code was not used on Corvettes AFAIK.

My guess is you have a 275 horse engine from a 65 sedan.

Last edited:
Mikey
My profession is design engineering with 45 years in power trains; engines, transmissions, T-cases and differentials. I'm well aware of part numbering conventions.

It would have been more helpful to the OP; to explain where the cast and machined PNs are located.

This applies to castings and forgings. Unless purchased finished; all castings and forgings have their own specific part numbers. Finished components have their own specific part numbers and methodology also.
One wouldn't want to order a con rod or block and receive a rough cast or forged component It isn't rocket science; it is a simple means of separating rough from finished.

"Purchased finished" (EG. alternators, fuel pumps, wiring harnesses, ECUs etc,) are unique and are handled differently. The supplier sends a neutral (IGES) drawing which is imported into the customer's CAD system and placed on the customer's drawing format.

Usually the finished part number is steel stamped typically into a machined surface. The cast or forged component's part number is put on the component by the supplier.
Same as your date and location steel stamped comment; the supplier also adds the revision code, house mark, and agreed upon method for the date of manufacture. With some components (EG MIM etc.), a lot number or cavity is required.

I can continue; however, everyone ought to be quite bored by now?
:chuckle

GM doesn't use a rough and finished part number system; or there nothing which designates a difference between rough and finished, how unusual. You'll have to explain it.

Correct, one casting part number and one or perhaps more machining options are commonplace.

Not bored but much of what you mention does not apply consistently to GM parts manufactured in the C1 through C3 era.

Anyhow, you said I wasn't consistently correct; so, I asked how does GM do it? As it is what I do at work; I'm interested.

My earlier post on this subject has been deleted because it was inaccurate information. I misread my book of engine code info. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

As stated by "Vettehead Mikey", the block is a 275hp 327 unit used in an engine which had a Powerglide transmission. It could have been used in any vehicle which had the 275-hp 327

The cylinder head information posted I posted earlier but not as comprehensive as it should have been. The 3890462 casting was used for heads on 327/275, 327/295, 327/300, 327/325, 327/350. The valve sizes were either 1.94/1.50 or 2.02/1.60.

Thanks, but I am still confused. Do you think it is from a Corvette and what about the casting numbers on the heads and the block being different?

It is not from a Corvette. Casting numbers on blocks and heads will be different because block castings and head castings are significantly different parts and thus would have different casting numbers.

My earlier post on this subject has been deleted because it was inaccurate information. I misread my book of engine code info. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

As stated by "Vettehead Mikey", the block is a 275hp 327 unit used in an engine which had a Powerglide transmission. It could have been used in any vehicle which had the 275-hp 327

The cylinder head information posted I posted earlier but not as comprehensive as it should have been. The 3890462 casting was used for heads on 327/275, 327/295, 327/300, 327/325, 327/350. The valve sizes were either 1.94/1.50 or 2.02/1.60.

It is not from a Corvette. Casting numbers on blocks and heads will be different because block castings and head castings are significantly different parts and thus would have different casting numbers.

Thank you. At least I know it is not from a Corvette. I appreciate all of the help.

If it helps in some way, even if it was an engine originally from a Corvette, the increase in value would be minimal unless the car with matching VIN was still around and it's owner was interested.

The chances of that are pretty slim.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom