Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Is this normal?

jwilson

Corvette
2008 Coupe, 1960 Restored
I recently purchased a 2008 with 11,000 mi. I love it - runs great! I do notice that it kicks, jolts (no noise though) into Drive when first started (cold). It doesn't after it reaches operating temp. Should I be concerned about this?

First of all, welcome to the :CAC We're glad you found us.

I'm going to move this thread to the C6 Technical/Performance section, where your question will be more readilly seen by folks who may have an answer. It may help if you described whether your Corvette is automatic or manual, and if you've done any after-market modifications to it.

-Patrick

Thanks!

Hello Patrick,

Thanks for responding so quickly. It is an automatic (with the paddle shifters as well). No modifications have been done. Again, this problem - if it is one - will not occur if left to warm up first or after being driven. But it will "bump" into Drive if started and driven cold. No noises. Neither my C4 or C5 did this - but neither of them had the optional "standard" shifters.

John
First of all, welcome to the :CAC We're glad you found us.

I'm going to move this thread to the C6 Technical/Performance section, where your question will be more readilly seen by folks who may have an answer. It may help if you described whether your Corvette is automatic or manual, and if you've done any after-market modifications to it.

-Patrick

Give it a few minutes at start up,the engine idles at a little higher RPM when stone cold till the ECM sets it back!!Just let it warm up 3-4 minutes at cold start till it reduces the idle speed!:thumb:thumb:thumb
I'm not really a C6 technician yet,but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express a couple times last week!!;LOL;LOL;LOL

:pat :D:D:D

Not that I doubt the great and wise Junk, :BOW but seriously? The average C6 has more computing power than what was used by NASA to put a man on the moon, and we still have to wait for the engine to warm up like that? Guess electronics can only do so much to overcome the laws of physics. ;LOL

:thumb Jason

U-joints and then motor mounts? What is your car's tach just before the "bump?"

"Bump into Drive"

Thanks again to all of you Vette nuts! Wish I could figure out how to post photos on these things - I'm glad the consensus is "let it warm up" as that does correct the issue. I've only had this car for 2 weeks - I will definitely ask them to check the other fluid levels (that I can't access) at my first oil change (still at 71% new). I'm not a mechanic, but I think if it were motor mounts or u-joints I'd be getting a few other symptoms, noises, etc. This car just seems to running so effortless - great in every other way.The crew that restored my 1960 and worked on my C5 after isn't panicking (at least over the phone). And let's hope GM is around to honor the 5 yr., 100K power train warranty.

I held off getting a C6 - was never that crazy about the new body style after I mistook them for new Toyotas from a distance. But man, the driving difference is amazing! I can't fathom a Z06!

I've already gotten pulled over twice for no front license plate ... warnings. How about you? No way I'm putting on that "glue on the front end and drill your own holes" thing that came with it.

Again, thanks - and if someone tecky thinks I need to get her to the dealer right away, let me know.

John

I've already gotten pulled over twice for no front license plate ... warnings. How about you? No way I'm putting on that "glue on the front end and drill your own holes" thing that came with it.

John,
This subject comes up frequently around here. You'll find that the majority opinion seems to be that a lot of folks are a little rebellious on the subject of marring their Corvette simply to put on a front license plate.

Having said that, I find it curious that you've already been pulled over twice- I've had my C6 for nearly two years now, and before that, I had a 2003 Z06 for almost four years. I ran without a front license plate on both, and I was never pulled over. For most in law enforcement, front license plate violations seem to be a low priority.

Me too! Never had a front plate on C4 & C5, never got stopped for it. Did get it added to a speeding ticket once. My friend, who's a police officer, tells me if they stop a Vette for that, they're looking for something else. All they'll find is a 60 yr. old with a Fresca. Both my stops have happened out by our cabin in East Texas ... both by very young, small town officers. My friend says they probably have nothing better to do.

HI there,
It would be suggested to have the transmission control module scanned and checked for the latest calibration updates from GM.
There could be a few.
Allthebest, c4c5

Give it a few minutes at start up,the engine idles at a little higher RPM when stone cold till the ECM sets it back!!Just let it warm up 3-4 minutes at cold start till it reduces the idle speed!:thumb:thumb:thumb
I'm not really a C6 technician yet,but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express a couple times last week!!;LOL;LOL;LOL

:pat :D:D:D
:chuckleHey Junk, how do you warm up the car if it doesn't do it until you start it? Blow torch it? I didn't stay at the Holiday inn, but I did stay at the Bates Motel......................Sc:Wtt

I'll ask about the module scanning - thanks for that advice. I hope the dealer knows what that means. Say, how do you folks put your pictures on this this thing?

Me too! Never had a front plate on C4 & C5, never got stopped for it. Did get it added to a speeding ticket once. My friend, who's a police officer, tells me if they stop a Vette for that, they're looking for something else. All they'll find is a 60 yr. old with a Fresca. Both my stops have happened out by our cabin in East Texas ... both by very young, small town officers. My friend says they probably have nothing better to do.

Probably don't see many vettes much less a C6. Probably just wanted to check it out. You should have offered them a ride :D

Back to the beginning of this thread - when I took the C6 out of "Competitive Driving Mode" but left the Traction Control on it seemed to fix the "clunking: into gear problem. I never realized it was on - my Tech recommended it. Don't know what "Competitive" does (must affect the torque whachamadoodle). I don't reckon I need to be going 200 mph to the 7-11. No, no front plae for me ... bring it on! I'll pay the fine first.

i have a gym buddy in north texas who is DPS..i asked him and he said dont worry about it...
so when in texas i dont..but in california..i toe the line

I put a top flight front plate on my 08. You can google them. Don't like to have the front plate on the C6, but this is the best I've found. The C5 has the indent for the front plate and I use it; same for my C4. I just don't like paying a fine to anyone, besides when I'm driving, I don't see it.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom