Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Issues in replacing LT4 with LT1 in 96 Corvette?

1996 LT4 Topic

Delraydale

Corvette
96 convert 6 sp
I know most folks want to go the other way but I recently bought a 96 LT4 convertible and unfortunately there is damage to the head and piston in the back cylinder on the drivers side, looks like something broke off and bounced around quite a bit in there. At this point I am thinking that used/ rebuilt LT1's are a lot more available and affordable my questions are how complicated is the swap? If i get a long block LT1 what else would I need to change out? I know the fuel injectors are different on the LT4 but what else is going on? Would the PCM need to be replaced or reprogrammed, fuel pump? Exhaust manifold? Other computer/electronic issues? Any bolt up issues? I am a newbee so any help, ideas or pointers to resources around Delray Beach, FL are appreciated.

DelrayDale

Why can you just change one of the pistons and put a new head on?

Hi Hib

Why can you just change one of the pistons and put a new head on?

I think the piston is a possibility but the combustion dome in the head is really chewed up with a piece of metal gone so this means replacing at least one head. From what I have seen so far when you can actually find an LT4 head they are very expensive on eBay it looks like they were $1,200 each and up for fairly naked heads. Then. I wonder if it make sense to just replace one head in terms of getting a well balanced smooth running engine. Then I wonder if the connecting rod, crankshaft etc was damaged as well. What you suggest may be what I wind up doing in the end, for now. I am trying to find the path of least resistance.

Thanks for the help.
DelrayDale

If it were my car i would fix the engine that's in the car.
Your going to have the engine out to replace a piston so you will be able to inspect for more damage.
I would replace both heads with AFR heads they are about $1000 each.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom