Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It's Time for a New Engine....

Big Mort

Corvette
1980 black coupe
Hey all,

As the thread title says, its time that my 80 gets a new engine. I was looking for some tips on where I should start on this project. I know a lot of people like crate engines, but I'm the kind of guy that likes to do it myself and Im looking to make a nice project out of this. Im 22, in college, and bought this car before I even had my provisional license. Ive had everything taken apart at one point or another except for the engine, and now I want to learn how to do that too.
I want to start somewhere along the lines of getting the cheapest, most barely used engine I could find, ripping it apart and starting from scratch. What I would like to know, from all the professionals out there, is whats the best way of doing this. I want a nice solid small block to start with. So should I look in a junk yard? is cast iron the best bet? 4 bolt main? will any SB chevy from any year fit in my vette? Im gonna have this beauty for the rest of my life so I want to take my time and do it up right. any advice that I could get would be very much appreciated. thanks guys

I can't help you a whole lot and I am new around here so don't know a lot of the history, but one question comes to mind........was the original engine non rebuildable? I would want to keep the original block anyway and build from there.

When I bought the car it had a gm crate engine in it, really old and in pretty bad shape.

Dig around salvage yards for an engine with low miles- it's going to be like finding a four leaf clover. A 4 bolt main block (IMHO) is more desireable than a 2 bolt. Two schools of thought- the 2 bolt block has thicker webbing in the bottom so in theory it's stronger. If you're not planning on any 7500-8000 RPM trips 2 bolts should be plenty. Next on the list would be a block with a casting number that ends in "010" if I remember. Supposedly those have a higher nickel content and stronger.
The real problem with salvage yard blocks is you could be getting one with a big stack of miles, worn out cylinders that will need boring, or get it home and find out it's got a crack in it. Now it's a paperweight.

Another option would be to hunt the want ads- find a beater with a 350 or 400 in it that still runs, buy that a yank the engine and trans and scrap the rest.

Dart has come out with their SHP blocks too. I'm not plugging for Dart, but supposedly you can get them with a larger than stock bore and not give up any wall thickness.

You noted that your Vette has already had an engine swap- you can always build that one- get it bored if needed, get a rotating assembly and build away. One drawback to that is the Vette is parked for a transplant.

And yes- any year SBC will fit. Even the LS engines will fit with a little massage.

Thanks alot, I only recently found that my current engine has a cracked block (one of the many things the former owner managed to break on the car). I like I said I want to learn more about the internals of an engine, the small block chevy specifically, and I figured what better way than to build one.

The SBC is a good one to start with. Straight forward, no tricks or anything that will trap you into the "well, if I'd have installed that before this it would fit!".

I'm kind of going back to finding a beater that you can pop the motor and trans out of. Be a fairly cheap way to get your feet wet.

Lots of really good books out there that will help you thru the rebuild process. Plus, there is always help available on the forum if you get stuck or don't understand something.

I think you're going to have a lot of fun and learn a lot.

A junk yard is probably the cheapest option.

You're also going to need an engine stand.
Are you planning to reuse any parts from your current engine?

Take lots I pictures.

Have fun.

If you are going to keep the car go to your local Chevy dealer and order a ZZ4 block. You'll be starting with a good 0 mile base.
Better yet, get a ZZ4 short block.

Read a lot!

You definitely have your hands full. I highly recommend that you get the book "How to Hotrod small block Chevys". The book goes into details that you will need to be aware of before you start "bolting" parts together. All this, of course, depending on your automotive experience.

If you are going to get "used" blocks/engines from someone, then make sure you get the block checked for cracks prior to finalizing the deal. Other than that, you will definitely need to have a plan as to what you want from the engine you build.

Here's an example:

350 standard block with 350TH Tranny
1:3.73 rear end ratio (with 14" rims)
Edelbrock Torker II Intake (2,500-6,500 RPM range)
280 Duration .476" lift hydraulic cam (2000-5500)
Holley 650cfm
Double-roller timing chain

Basically my first hot rod (76 Camaro) had this set up. Not too much, not too little. Was VERY fun to drive!

Take your time and have fun!
Rob

I vote for a new GMPP LS7 crate motor...

3785_1_.jpg

Depending on where you live and the emissions requirements, I would throw some snort at it :happyanim:

You never know what you can find in a junk yard, a good 4 bolt main small block and scrounge around for some good old hot rod parts.

Have fun - Good luck

i10fwy

Any chance you're the guy who we yanked the body off the crappy frame for in Unionville, PA and put another frame under the bodyfor; that avatar picture looks awful familiar.

Anyway, easiest way is to go the crate motor route -- great selection from GMPP and you get a (limited) warranty. The more fun route is to re-build a motor yourself -- you'll never regret it, even if you screwe it up !

Find a good used block and have at it. If you are the guy we helped swap the farme for try getting in touch with Curt Hall over in New Castle, DE; he always seems to have a few motors laying around in various states of disrepair.

Bernie O.

well d*mn, I know that pic from your avatar (I took the pic!) which means I know that car very well!!!!!
How you doing Mike, glad to see you around and still with the car.

Mike, if you want my advice I'd recommend going with a crate motor like Bernie says. Lots and lots of them out there and for the same money that it will cost you to build one you can get one already ready to drop in AND they come with warranties so it's a 'no worry" deal.
order up the motor and when it gets delivered you can have the old motor pulled out and the new one installed and ready to drive the car again over a weekend easily.
If you want help just give me call or email and I'll give you a hand. i'm assuming you are going to do the work at your cousin Dale's place??

If you REALLY want to build one yourself than it's out of my league as I've never built a motor but i'll still be glad to help if you want on the pull of the old motor and installing the new one.
There are lots of books on how to build or rebuild a SBC motor but keep in mind it's going to require you buying some specialty tools and to end up with the results you are really looking for in terms of performance, drivability, fuel milage, idle quality, etc, etc it's takes the correct combination of all the proper parts - you can't just throw on any parts you managed to find on sale out of catalogs than expect it to run and perform like you want.

BTW, while you are at it and have the old motor out you very well may want to consider pulling the tranny and getting it looked at at a good tranny shop. Who knows the milage on that thing and knowing how well the car had NOT been taken care of before you bought it I doubt the tranny has ever been touched or serviced. Also, depending on the power and set-up that you end up with on the new motor you might want to have a different torque converter installed, or a shift kit added. At the very least it's a good time to have a shop look over the tranny for wear and tear and make sure it's in good condition

Say hi to the family for me and tell your mom I said "that's what she said"! :D

here, this should bring back some memories for you.... 1980_Corvette_Project

depends on what you're looking for, i suppose, but i went with an LS1, granted, my project's stalled for now (too much work, not enough money) but the car ends up being lighter by about 2-300lbs and with 350hp on the stock engine, you're pretty set unless you want to upgrade (which there's plenty of room to do) with a turbo/super charger, or even Cams :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom