Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jacking for first time WHEW!

Paul Higg

Corvette
2007 Monterey Red
Does anyone have any suggestions on an easier way to jack a C5?

I changed my oil yesterday for the first time and the Vette sits so low I can’t get the jacks under it. I had to remove a swivel on top of a small jack to lift it a little then use a large jack.

I found the “official” jacking points in the manual but just to get to them takes an act of Congress.

Anyone have any links or advice on it? Do you use different jacks?

Thanks.

Paul

Paul, I use a low profile aluminum race jack that I purchased at Sears. It's a Craftsman model with a roller on the front. I took the lift plate off and put my puck in the reciever hole. It works great! It's not necessary to remove the plate and install the puck but it is a positive locater.

Good Luck :thumb

I normally drive my C4 on low profile wooden ramps that I constructed. They are just some 2x8's that I sandwhiched together.

I also have driven the car up onto a pair 2x4's. This allows me enough room to get a floor jack under the jack points.

Paul, I use a low profile aluminum race jack that I purchased at Sears. It's a Craftsman model with a roller on the front. I took the lift plate off and put my puck in the reciever hole. It works great! It's not necessary to remove the plate and install the puck but it is a positive locater.

Good Luck :thumb

Thanks Jim.

Any photos?

This is the one I use Paul.

Jack.jpg

It's really not hard.My vette is lowered so I drive over two wood planks. slide a lopro floor jack under and go,remove plug and filter drain and jack-up the rear.

This is the one I use Paul.

View attachment 874

Thanks Jim, one more thing. :D Do you have a model number? I looked on Sears’ website and found almost 1000.

Also, where do you first place it? Do you place it in through the front end or the side of the car? I noticed that under the sides of the car there are four holes or slots in the metal of the frame. It would seem to me that these would be some sort of jacking points.

They’re actually located in the same positions as my old C4. Any idea what they are?

Paul, I also have a low-profile jack, very similar to the one Jim showed. I bought mine at Harbor Freight. They have them one sale right now for $59. They are great. As for the jacking pucks, I made mine out of 2 x4 material and an eye bolt.

Jackingpucks.jpg

Paul, I also have a low-profile jack, very similar to the one Jim showed. I bought mine at Harbor Freight. They have them one sale right now for $59. They are great. As for the jacking pucks, I made mine out of 2 x4 material and an eye bolt.

Jackingpucks.jpg

Thanks Tom. Do you have a model number also? Plus, the puck you built, why the eye bolt? Does the eye bolt go up or down? And where? The front as in the manual or the sides of the car in the rails?

jacking c4-c6

Get the Harbor Freight jack, think I just saw a flyer that its on sale for $59. After 5-7 years just toss it although I've had mine 9 years and still going strong.

For jacking pucks just get some hockey pucks at local sporting goods store, you don't really need the eyebolt although you can install it. I jack my C5 and C6 frequently for brake work for track and use one puck on the jack plate and jack from between the two "jacking/tie down" points so I lift the entire side at once. Much easier and faster.

Thanks Jim, one more thing. :D Do you have a model number? I looked on Sears’ website and found almost 1000.

Also, where do you first place it? Do you place it in through the front end or the side of the car? I noticed that under the sides of the car there are four holes or slots in the metal of the frame. It would seem to me that these would be some sort of jacking points.

They’re actually located in the same positions as my old C4. Any idea what they are?

Sears Item# 00950239000 | Model# 50239

Yes the oval holes are the jacking points and that's what I use exclusively.

Sears Item# 00950239000 | Model# 50239

Yes the oval holes are the jacking points and that's what I use exclusively.

Hi Jim and thanks. I too use hockey pucks and have since my C4.

The manual shows the jacking points slightly forward of the oil pan and somewhere in the rear. I thought those oval holes were jacking points!

Anyway, I can’t believe how LOW this car is compared to my last Vette.

Another question, when you have it lifted with the jack, where do you put the jack stands?

What sequence do you use, can you describe it for me as it took me forever to jack it up and then to down-jack it. What a pain that was!

Thanks.

Paul, those eye bolts go up into the slot and then turn them and they don't fall out while you're trying to get the jack positioned. I don't know the model number, but they have them for $59. Blue anodized aluminum.

Paul, those eye bolts go up into the slot and then turn them and they don't fall out while you're trying to get the jack positioned. I don't know the model number, but they have them for $59. Blue anodized aluminum.

Cool. Thanks Tom.

Now, can you tell me your particular sequence?

If you want to lift the whole car where do you start? Where do you place the stands first?

Paul, If I want to jack up the car, I drive it up on the lift and raise the lift.

garageremodel-fourpostliftassemb-20.jpg

jacking

Cool. Thanks Tom.

Now, can you tell me your particular sequence?

If you want to lift the whole car where do you start? Where do you place the stands first?

If you look under C5/C6 you will see there is a lightweight cross brace under the floor panels, aft of a line formed by your sideview mirrors. Where that crossbrace connects to the frame you can place a jack (on the frame not the crossbrace) and jack one side of the car. place your jackstands in the frame area where the tie down slots are located (where you would put in the eyebolts of a lifting puck if used). Repeat on opposite side and you now have the entire car on stands. I have a 4 post lift and often will place the car on jackstands and then raise the lift to work on brakes, suspension etc.

If you look under C5/C6 you will see there is a lightweight cross brace under the floor panels, aft of a line formed by your sideview mirrors. Where that crossbrace connects to the frame you can place a jack (on the frame not the crossbrace) and jack one side of the car. place your jackstands in the frame area where the tie down slots are located (where you would put in the eyebolts of a lifting puck if used). Repeat on opposite side and you now have the entire car on stands. I have a 4 post lift and often will place the car on jackstands and then raise the lift to work on brakes, suspension etc.

Thanks, that just about covers it. All I have to do now is buy a low-profile jack.

Appreciate all your help fellas!

Paul

Rhino ramps for 40 bucks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom