Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jay Leno's E85-Capable Z06-Inspired C6RS Corvette Boasts 600HP with Alt. Fuel

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
For release: Oct. 29, 2007, 12:01 a.m. EDT<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
GREEN AND MEAN: JAY LENO’S E85-CAPABLE Z06-INSPIRED C6RS CORVETTE BOASTS 600 HP AND ALTERNATIVE-FUEL CAPABILITY<o:p></o:p>
<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">LAS VEGAS</st1:place></st1:City> – “Tonight Show” host Jay Leno’s predilection for performance cars is no secret, but many fellow enthusiasts may not know that he is keenly interested in alternative fuels. To prove that red-blooded power mixes easily with a touch of green, Leno partnered with Pratt & Miller – the engineering company that builds and campaigns C6.R Corvettes – to develop a modified Corvette Z06 that is capable of running on E85 ethanol. It was unveiled at the 2007 SEMA Show. <o:p></o:p>
More than merely a conversion of the stock LS7 engine to E85 capability, Leno’s alternative-fuel supercar is powered by a custom, 8.2L (500-cubic-inch) all-aluminum small-block V-8 that pumps out approximately 600 horsepower and 585 lb.-ft. of torque. <o:p></o:p>
“The C6RS is the result of an idea we hatched to prove that high-performance cars and alternative fuel technology weren’t diametrically opposed concepts,” said Leno. “I love the idea of having 600 horsepower at my disposal, but using a homegrown alternative to gasoline.”<o:p></o:p>
The engine is built around a custom aluminum cylinder block that was CNC-milled from a single block of billet aluminum. And while the cylinder heads, intake system and dry-sump oiling system are stock LS7 components, the engine – which has larger bore and stroke dimensions than the 7.0L (427-cubic-inch) LS7 – uses a one-off reciprocating assembly, including a forged steel crankshaft, forged rods and forged pistons. Katech Engines, the company that builds engines for the Corvette C6.R racing program, developed the engine.<o:p></o:p>
The fuel system and engine control computer were modified to accommodate E85, and spent gases exit through a Corsa exhaust system. Supporting the 600-horse engine’s power is a blueprinted and strengthened T-56 six-speed transmission and a high-performance Centerforce dual-friction clutch. <o:p></o:p>
C6.R inspiration<o:p></o:p>
On the outside, Leno’s bad and black C6RS emulates the styling of C6.R racecars, with wider front and rear fenders and a wider rear fascia with an integrated spoiler on top and a racing-style diffuser at the bottom (the diffuser incorporates an LED-lit backup lamp). A C6.R-style waterfall hood front fender louvers, rockers and lower grille opening further define this special Corvette – and all of the car’s front-end panels are made of carbon-fiber, including custom brake air ducts routed through the front fenders. With all of its body modifications, Leno’s C6RS is 1.6 inches wider than stock.<o:p></o:p>
The C6.R’s – and production Corvette’s – aerodynamically styled bodywork is designed to slice efficiently through the wind, which helps enhance fuel mileage. <o:p></o:p>
The race-ready look of the car is enhanced with a quartet of BBS wheels that feature racing-type locking center hubs. The forged aluminum 18-inch front wheels and 19-inch rear wheels ride on Michelin P295/30ZR18 and P345/30ZR19 tires, respectively. <o:p></o:p>
Adding authenticity to the car’s custom bodywork was the involvement of Pratt & Miller. The company took on the task of crafting Leno’s Corvette into a street-going replica of the racecars, which included installing or fabricating a host of unique components, including: <o:p></o:p>
  • A custom DeWitt high-capacity radiator with dual cooling fans<o:p></o:p>
  • A carbon-fiber ram-air induction system<o:p></o:p>
  • Carbon-fiber inner fender panels that vent hot air from the engine compartment<o:p></o:p>
  • Brembo brakes with six-piston mono-block calipers in front and four-piston rear calipers<o:p></o:p>
  • Dyna-Mat used throughout the cabin and chassis to reduce interior noise<o:p></o:p>
While the exterior and drivetrain were inspired by the racetrack, the C6RS’s cabin exudes luxury, with premium touches and enhancements from Genuine Corvette Accessories that include a two-tone shift knob and boot; leather-covered console armrest, parking brake handle and boot; an interior trim kit, racing-style pedal covers and more. <o:p></o:p>
With its 600 horses on tap and domestically produced E85 fuel in the tank, Jay Leno’s alternative-fueled C6RS is an all-American supercar that proves high performance and environmental consciousness go together like the Corvette and checkered flags. <o:p></o:p>
# # #<o:p></o:p>
Wendy Clark<o:p></o:p>
Chevrolet Communications<o:p></o:p>
Phone: 313-665-5127<o:p></o:p>
E-mail: wendy.clark@gm.com

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jay's becoming a real GM guy

With Jay's very diversified tastes it seems he is favoring GM products more and more. Over the past few years he has done some pretty nice projects based on GM products - the Buick, the Olds Toronato, the Caddy sports car at last years SEMA show that was also enviormentally friendly and now this. ;) Keep it up Jay.

• Admin
ArvinMeritor Supplies Dynamic Height Control System for the C6RS Chevrolet Corvette Concept Car at the SEMA Show

October 30, 2007: 11:00 AM EST

TROY, Mich., Oct. 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/

-- ArvinMeritor, Inc. announced today that it is the supplier of the Dynamic Height Control (DHC) suspension system used on the Pratt & Miller C6RS Chevrolet Corvette concept car on display at the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) Show in Las Vegas.

"Ride and handling are key elements of a successful vehicle design," said Ed Frutig, vice president and general manager of Light Vehicle System (LVS) Chassis Systems for ArvinMeritor. "SEMA provides a glimpse of the future chassis technologies you may see on tomorrow's production vehicles as it relates to styling, performance, and even fuel economy. The Dynamic Height Control system is one example of the new products ArvinMeritor is now bringing to market that will significantly enhance a vehicle's ride, stability, safety and performance capabilities."

The DHC system incorporates an electronically controlled air shock system and features light-weight, aluminum monotube air shocks and a state-of-the-art controller with proprietary software. The controller and software feature the most advanced control strategies which interface with the car's ECU to automatically provide optimum ride height under all driving conditions.

The ArvinMeritor control logic in the DHC system automatically lowers and rakes the vehicle at higher speed for increased stability and improved aerodynamics, increasing vehicle performance. For aesthetic purposes, the system can also be driver-controlled at lower speeds, allowing the driver to "slam" the vehicle (lower to the ground) for low-speed cruising or parking. It also provides the ability to raise the vehicle for improved ground clearance to reduce the chance of dragging the car's ground effects when negotiating steep inclines in driveways and parking situations. When the vehicle is not running, it can still be raised and lowered with a control mounted in the key fob.

The DHC system is part of ArvinMeritor's light vehicle smart systems(TM) portfolio, which also includes two- and four-corner standard air-suspension systems, an innovative active air-suspension system, adaptive damping and active roll-control systems. Focused on vehicle stability, ArvinMeritor's chassis systems solutions are scalable in performance, yet modular in design. The company's unique, modular products can be applied independently or in combination to provide an integrated chassis for active vehicle dynamic control. This gives the OEM greater value through flexibility in design, manufacturing and opportunities for incremental layers of performance on a single platform.

The Corvette C6RS was designed, developed and constructed by championship winning Pratt & Miller Engineering. Inspired by the company's Le Mans-winning Corvette C6.R race cars, the new Pratt & Miller Corvette C6RS supercar combines advanced racing technology with everyday drivability. It produces 600 horsepower and employs a carbon-fiber body, custom interior and sound system, and upgraded tires, wheels, brakes and suspension system.

Also at the SEMA Show, ArvinMeritor will highlight its RydeFX(TM) brand of high-performance shock absorbers in booth 32403. RydeFX is one of the leading high-performance OEM and aftermarket brands of shock absorbers in the snowmobile and ATV market. ArvinMeritor will bring this product line to the light-truck and SUV off-road market.

About Pratt & Miller Engineering

Founded in 1989 by Gary Pratt and Jim Miller, Pratt & Miller Engineering & Fabrication provides automotive and non-automotive clients with leading-edge engineering and low-volume manufacturing solutions. For more information, visit the Pratt & Miller website at www.prattmiller.com.

About Light Vehicle Systems

ArvinMeritor's LVS business group is a market leader in the product categories it serves, supplying integrated systems and modules to the world's leading passenger car and light truck OEMs. With advanced technology and systems design expertise in body, chassis and wheels, LVS combines high- quality components into cost-effective, performance-based solutions for virtually every car and light truck on the road today.

About ArvinMeritor

ArvinMeritor, Inc. is a premier global supplier of a broad range of integrated systems, modules and components to the motor vehicle industry. The company serves light vehicle, commercial truck, trailer and specialty original equipment manufacturers and certain aftermarkets. Headquartered in Troy, Mich., ArvinMeritor employs approximately 19,000 people in 25 countries. ArvinMeritor common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol ARM. For more information, visit the company's Web site at: http://www.arvinmeritor.com/.

GMC2007103047704_PV.jpg

The Tonight Show's Jay Leno introduces his E85-powered Chevrolet Corvette Z06, boasting a custom 500-cubic-inch engine that generates approximately 600 horsepower and is fueled solely by E85 ethanol fuel, at the SEMA after-market auto show in Las Vegas, Nevada Monday, October 29, 2007.
(Photo by Isaac Brekken for General Motors)

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/previewpage?042535

Very, Very Nice car!!! But why would someone want a car that runs on E85 which gives significantly lower gas mileage and costs more money than gasoline?? Somethings wrong with this so called solution to the rising cost of fossil fuel. Same BS as the hydrogen solution.
I still like the car though:D

People with Lenos money care less about what it cost.Just the other night on his show he said something about the money they make and its like stealing money.Russell Crow was on the show.

Very, Very Nice car!!! But why would someone want a car that runs on E85 which gives significantly lower gas mileage and costs more money than gasoline?? Somethings wrong with this so called solution to the rising cost of fossil fuel. Same BS as the hydrogen solution.
I still like the car though:D

A Corvette owner that is concerned about fuel consumption;LOL . E85 has high octane rating. Which meeans it is more resistant to knock than 92 octane gasoline. E-85 burns slower which is great for a high performance engine.

E-85 is much less expensive than 100 octane racing GAS:beer.

A Corvette owner that is concerned about fuel consumption;LOL . E85 has high octane rating. Which meeans it is more resistant to knock than 92 octane gasoline. E-85 burns slower which is great for a high performance engine.

E-85 is much less expensive than 100 octane racing GAS:beer.
Well I agree on Corvette owners not caring about fuel economy, my point was all the hype about developing a car which promotes a technology that is less fuel efficient and more costly than in current use. I can't address your comment about it being less expensive than 100 octane gas, maybe it is, but the average car doesn't run on 100 octane gas. E85 is more expensive than "regular" gas used in most cars and it's far less fuel efficient so the end result is hyping a technology that actually bilks more $$ out of the average guy trying to survive. It costs more to produce cars that use it and it costs more to run the car. Corn should be used to feed starving people in the country not feed cars!:beer

Jay Leno"s car

I guess I am going to sound jealous and I am,But if I had his money and connections,I'd do the same thing however since I am scraping for every last dime to pay my bills I guess that I'll just have to put all my grand and glorious ideas on the back burner for a while:rotfl L.Lake

Just awesome; sure would be nice to dream of it and have it wouldn't it?

Bill

Well I agree on Corvette owners not caring about fuel economy, my point was all the hype about developing a car which promotes a technology that is less fuel efficient and more costly than in current use. I can't address your comment about it being less expensive than 100 octane gas, maybe it is, but the average car doesn't run on 100 octane gas. E85 is more expensive than "regular" gas used in most cars and it's far less fuel efficient so the end result is hyping a technology that actually bilks more $$ out of the average guy trying to survive. It costs more to produce cars that use it and it costs more to run the car. Corn should be used to feed starving people in the country not feed cars!:beer
It is only less fuel efficient because its burned in flex fuel engines (engines designed to burn both) if an engine was made to solely burn E85 (like Jay's) you could get considerably more performance out of it than pump gasoline due to being able to take advantage of the higher octane rating. As for price I would imagine price will continue to drop as E85 gets used more. As it is now its still a specialty fuel.

As most of you should be aware by now, this special Corvette is available from Pratt & Miller for a cool $225,000 plus your Z06. The latest issue of Autoweek has a Front Cover story on this unique Corvette.

Jay Leno's car

People with Lenos money care less about what it cost.Just the other night on his show he said something about the money they make and its like stealing money.Russell Crow was on the show.[/quot
All I can say is,I love my vette more than he has money.
Linda Lake
LITLZO6

People with Lenos money care less about what it cost.Just the other night on his show he said something about the money they make and its like stealing money.Russell Crow was on the show.[/quot
All I can say is,I love my vette more than he has money.
Linda Lake
LITLZO6

I would have to say to make me feel better they don't appreciate it like I do; but I would have to also say I would trade places with them :L Money as they say don't but everything but it will work until something else better comes along ;LOL

In the end health & happiness is worth more than money, you still can't buy that, well an argument could be made for happiness :boogie

Bill :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom