Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

jingle noise comming from exhaust when de-accelerating C45 please help

J

Jeffs99C5

So i took my 99 to the dealer one year ago complaining of metalic rattle in exhaust system and jingling rattle in exhaust system when de-accelerating. they repalced the catalytic converter which took care of the metalic rattle but the jingle remained. after several returns to the dealer, they informed me that I needed new mufflers. i replaced the stock mufflers with borla stingers and still have the jingleing rattle. It seems to get louder when the car is warmed up. No difference in or out of gear. basically if you step on the accelerator and then release pressure, it sounds as though somthing is jingling inside the exhaust system toward the front of the car. any ideas anybody?

Also, is it normal for the rear end to clunk? The car has 76000 miles, rear end fluid changed at 60,000. Seems like it is getting noisy. No weird whinning though.

Is your car a manual or automatic? Sometimes on the 2-3 shift in my 6sp it clunks quite loudly, but I attribute that to my ham-footed clutch skills from time to time. I think it is the clutch re-engaging that makes the clunk. It isn't a flaw as far as I can tell.

I have an 03 that had a jingle. It was the O2 sensors that are in the H pipe. There is a metal ring on the metal wire sheilding that jingles. I put a dab of High Temp RTV on it and so far no more jingle.

maybe you exhaust bearing went out...;) ;LOL

corvettecrazy said:
maybe you exhaust bearing went out...;) ;LOL

You know, a friend of mine just told me about some chrome reverse high flow muffler bearings. I have not been able to find the supplier for these.

Seriously, I thought there were some service bulletins on this. Have you looked in the knowledge center?

har har har

you guys kill me;LOL

thanks for the serious -and not so serious feed back-

I will have o2 sensors checked and get the exhaust bearings repaired with that special brass magnet asap.

warm regards to my vette friends:)

As Fletch would say:
It could be the fetzer valve......your'e gonna need some guaze pads, 3 in 1 oil and some 30 wt. ball bearings (muffler type).......

thanks for the laughs.....

DRTH VTR said:
You know, a friend of mine just told me about some chrome reverse high flow muffler bearings. I have not been able to find the supplier for these.

Seriously, I thought there were some service bulletins on this. Have you looked in the knowledge center?
you all are so bad , take him snipe hunting too?

I'll bet it's those snipes in the pipes that are a jingling!!!

Doc
:L ;LOL :L

Wow this is the most response I have seen to a topic on this forum.

vettedoc said:
I'll bet it's those snipes in the pipes that are a jingling!!!

Doc
:L ;LOL :L
Wouldn't that make it a "POULTRY-GEIST"??????

Jeffs99C5 said:
you guys kill me;LOL

thanks for the serious -and not so serious feed back-

I will have o2 sensors checked and get the exhaust bearings repaired with that special brass magnet asap.

warm regards to my vette friends:)
I'm glad you are the kind to have a sense of humor over a topic like this:D

good luck getting whatever fixed that needs to be!

I have the exact same problem with my 99 FRC. I have tried every home remedy and the dealer who did the initial repair has given up. The car did not make this noise until the catalytic converter was replaced about three months ago... I have gone through the same process, I just had a local tuner test the mufflers by installing a set of Borlas, the noise was still there... So far Chevy has been absolutely no help. I am so damn frustrated I am considering finding a new vehicle to be enthused about... The dealer caused this problem with their repairs, which were done with Chevy's parts & procedures and under GM's emission control warranty and now they say deal with it... I love the car otherwise but I really wonder if I would have this problem if i was dealing with a manufacturer that really cared about its customers...

Let me know if you have any success and I will do so as well..

Dave

thanks Dave

I am still chasing it and will keep you updated. I agree with you,
99FRCn96LT4 said:
I have the exact same problem with my 99 FRC. I have tried every home remedy and the dealer who did the initial repair has given up. The car did not make this noise until the catalytic converter was replaced about three months ago... I have gone through the same process, I just had a local tuner test the mufflers by installing a set of Borlas, the noise was still there... So far Chevy has been absolutely no help. I am so damn frustrated I am considering finding a new vehicle to be enthused about... The dealer caused this problem with their repairs, which were done with Chevy's parts & procedures and under GM's emission control warranty and now they say deal with it... I love the car otherwise but I really wonder if I would have this problem if i was dealing with a manufacturer that really cared about its customers...

Let me know if you have any success and I will do so as well..

Dave

THANKS DAVE:
I continue to chase it. I agree with you, I love my corvette but doubt that I will ever purchase another GM product!!!

I finally got the dealer to tell me that they think they may have a fix sometime in June. I have been waiting over 6 months for someone to give me a date! I am not sure I believe them though. In any case I have had it with GM, their parts and the dealer... I went out and bought the Random Technology X pipe and High flow cats. They are a direct bolt in replacement. Voila, problem solved. The best part is that I picked up some horsepower & torque as well.. and the car sounds like it should now. I wish I didn't have to shell out $750 but it was worth it. I am still making the dealer bust it to find a fix, when he does I am gonna tell him I am not interested...

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom