Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

jumped starter

chevy6673

Corvette
1973 Corvette ,1966 ss impala
hello everyone i have a ??? i just picked up a 1975 vette with 4 speed matching #350, but it will not start with key . it will if jumped at starter and key on .have ck neutral safty under dash,key switch . it has stock alarm is there a box where the wires go to work alarm. could that be it .. thanks mike

Bad starter? That could be a possibility. Also, there may be a weak ground somewhere, that could cause it to do that.
zachh

ck w 12v tester everything has power . starter sounds fine when it turns

Ignition switch at the base of the column bad, or in need of adjustment? You know the run part of the switch is good cause you jumped at the starter. And the car ran, but the start function is not

Just check the purple wire runs from the starter to the neutral safety and then ignition switch. Check that

Ignition switch at the base of the column bad, or in need of adjustment? You know the run part of the switch is good cause you jumped at the starter. And the car ran, but the start function is not
the wires at base have power .. how can you ajust switch thanks 4 help

Disconnet the clutch rod under under the brake booster. Check for power when you depress the clutch. Should be two screws holding the safety switch. Loosen and rotate until you have power in and out of the switch. Sometimes you can just bend the rod to get the adjustment.

Just check the purple wire runs from the starter to the neutral safety and then ignition switch. Check that
we by passed neutral switch its on top of padel right . there is a orange plastc box on pass side top firewall do you no what its for i am ordering a assembly book and wire diagram maybe that will also help..

Disconnet the clutch rod under under the brake booster. Check for power when you depress the clutch. Should be two screws holding the safety switch. Loosen and rotate until you have power in and out of the switch. Sometimes you can just bend the rod to get the adjustment.
ok i will try that next thanks

we by passed neutral switch its on top of padel right . there is a orange plastc box on pass side top firewall do you no what its for i am ordering a assembly book and wire diagram maybe that will also help..

Are you sure you bought a '75 and not a '74? That box sounds like the '74 only seatbelt interlock relay. The car won't start unless the seatbelts are buckled.

Are you sure you bought a '75 and not a '74? That box sounds like the '74 only seatbelt interlock relay. The car won't start unless the seatbelts are buckled.
at this point who knows .the title says 1975 the the 6th number on vin on car is 5 the information from this site says that is date number and half of numbers on block match half numbers on vin tag and it has a one pcs back bumber cover 74 has 2 pcs ..when i got car thought it had to be n/s switch or starter or ign switch am lost now .one of the guys here said try puting seatbelt in but it did not work the red lights (dash ) when you try to start it the tester says everything is getting power but when you turn key al the way its like it has no power.. the n/s has one purple wire and one purple with white line though it. whats next ??????

part 2 i seen a picture of what you where talking about that relay.. thats whats there but the the relay box is missing all thats left is the plastic base and someone has played with wires there.the tags look fine and untouched .this keeps getting better so if thats only 74 the fire wall is part of body how can this be ...i thought i was lost before

At the orange box Jump the pink and purple see if it starts. This was 74 only

thanks again

Stupid question- are you holding the clutch pedal firmly on the floor when you crank the engine?
yes pedal is to floor ..i ordered a few vette catalogs today asked some tec guys they said at start of production some 75 had that box then they drop it ..??? i am going to jump n/s switch again later to night ..

i jumped it from some wires by the fire wall does that mean solenoid is good.. i did jump at starter at first ..thanks whats next

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom