Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Junk all the emissions stuff???

NVvetgirl

Corvette
75 Stringray
I am finally making my 1975 Vet into a dedicated road race car. I will not use it on the street. From a pure engine cleanup point of view, can I just remove all the emissions controls and get rid of them or do I need to keep some of the vacuum lines or just plug up holes where they were? As you can tell, I'm new at this. :confused;help

I'm assuming your going to run headers and dual exaust on your race car,so i guess you can junk the catalitic converter, the air pump,and all the related hoses.I would keep the PCV valve hooked up along with the charcol canister.

Just went through this. I removed everything except the PCV. To me it feels like it is a bit more responsive. You can get an EGR block-off plate from Sumitt.

As they have said, you can remove all of the emissions stuff.
EGR, AIR Pump, Catalytic Converters, etc.
It will only have a positive impact on performance, you'll have 1 less fan belt, the engine compartment will be much neater, and you'll have an easier time doing maintenance (parts will be easier to reach).

I've already done all of the things listed above, but I kept the PCV valve. That is not an emissions thing and it will help keep your oil clean.

Since this will be a dedicated road car, I would recommend changing the camshaft, rocker arms, carburetor (depending on what you have), headers, and intake. That combined with removing the emissions stuff will give you a serious boost in performance. Certain intake manifolds won't even have a place for EGR, so you won't need a block off plate (that's what I have).

Post any questions if you have them. Everyone is new when they start.

Good luck and Have fun!

Oh yea. I'm almost there. Need to change intake and cam and then "happy, happy-Joy, joy".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom