Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

just a bit of info on 110volt migs

grumpyvette

just a bit of info on 110volt migs
Had a buddy buy a new MIG 110 volt (Im not going to say what brand because this effects all brands) well he gets it home and sets it up and the damn thing won,t weld worth crap, he calls me over, I try it and hes right, but before I go blaming the welder I notice the lights got dim as we struck an arc so I suggest he brings it over to my shop and we test weld there, its a a TOTALLY differant experiance......my shops wired with 20 amp 110 volt circuits and 10 ga wire, his shop has one 15 amp socket wired with 14 ga wire and all his overhead lights are on the same leg.....and to make things even worse hes using a 50 ft 14 ga extension cord so he can weld out in front of the garage in case of fire,......if your having problems with a mig welder it might be the feed circuit not the welder

It makes sense. I have a buddy who moved to Australia where all the infrastructure is 220/240 volts, even the household wiring. He was shocked by how small the household wiring is. Instead of the North American standard (14 gauge), most of the household wiring is 18 or 20 gauge. He couldn't understand how that would work. I tried to explain the difference between voltage and current but his eyes started to glaze over... :ugh

-Mac

. He was shocked by how small the household wiring is. :ugh

-Mac

Hey Mac, I am sure there was no pun intended;LOL

Hey Mac, I am sure there was no pun intended;LOL
The best pun is the one which gets the writer as well! Shocking!! :L

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom