Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just a newbie with a pricing question.

TommyT

Corvette
Triple black 1993 Corvette Roadster w/36,000 miles
Just a newbie with a pricing question. UPDATED-8-21-05.

Hello All! This post is essentially just what the title suggests. I'm a newbie to the whole Corvette scene and have a deposit on an 86' Vert that I'm supposed to pick up on Friday. The car was at auction on Ebay last week or the week before and didn't sell. The buy it now price was $12,7xx. Please check out the link below as the auction is still available along with all the pics and details. I really like the car but I just don't want to end up with a car that won't bring what I paid or close to it, should I decide to sell. (Yes, I can be fickle when it comes to cars, especially my toys.:D ) I would like to know what the consensus is on a reasonable price for this car. Please help and be honest. As of right now the car is mine. But depending on what I learn here that could change. When I get some replies I'll divulge the buy price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4565754501&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Also if the pricing confirmed to be fair, what should I scrutinize about the car when I get there. I haven't seen it in person yet since it's 850 miles away. I'm in Central NJ and it's in Chicago.

Just to give you all a little background, I'm not new to the automotive scene, just Vettes. I've spent the last 5-6 years playing with Turbo Fords, i.e.-Mustang SVO's, Thunderbird Turbocoupes and Merkur XR4ti's and have decided to change it up..... A LOT!!!

Thanks in advance for the replies.

TommyT

It's a nice looking early C4 . . .

The price seems a bit high, but if it's in great shape the dealership could hold onto to it and more than likely get their price.

We have been known here on CAC to go look at Corvettes for other members.

Whatever you do, getting a Corvette will be one of the most enjoyable things you have done.

Enjoy the hunt and let us know what you do.

BTW - Welcome to the :CAC

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Seems to be a nice car. But I'm with 6 shooter, price seems to be a bit stiff. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $9-10k. It does have low miles and verts with standard tranny are worth a little more. I like the color combo, but then I am a bit biased.

Car looks nice. If everything checks out, I would say 10-11k tops. Good Luck, Guy

Tommy, I always say this. You are buying a Vette for what it is. Everyone is obviously looking for the best deal. Its not always the best deal. Its the best car that you want to own. Just checking the pics the car looks remarkably clean. Interior and exterior look mint. Carpet ,seats,paintwork aint cheap for Vettes. Tires are all there and the engine compartment is clean too. You really cant get hurt in buying a C4 now since they are pretty much at the bottom of their cycle. With low miles and a 4 + 3 if it makes ya happy write the check!!! If you can get the car for 11k more power to you. Sure you can find some C4's in the 8-10 range but will the mileage be under 50k and will the car be as clean??? Before purchasing it though you should have someone inspect it for you ...either someone may volunteer from here to look at it or hire an inspection company. Last thing you want is to take delivery of the car and it looks nothing like the pics!!! Let us know what happens!!! Hope to see you on RT9 ,Raceway Park or a cruise night in Freehold
soon!!!

Anthony

Well, the buy price is $11,600 and they won't go any lower. I just wanted to make sure that I was in the ballpark.

Tommy...Nice car!! Everything upside looks good. Have them send a few pics of underneath. Check the exhaust system!! Also, you'll probably spend about $600-$750.00 transporting the car to NJ..I've used a company called Passport Transport several times with good results. Give them a buzz and u can at least get an estimate on shipping.
Good Luck..Let us all know how you make out!!

TommyT said:
Hello All! This post is essentially just what the title suggests. I'm a newbie to the whole Corvette scene and have a deposit on an 86' Vert that I'm supposed to pick up on Friday. The car was at auction on Ebay last week or the week before and didn't sell. The buy it now price was $12,7xx. Please check out the link below as the auction is still available along with all the pics and details. I really like the car but I just don't want to end up with a car that won't bring what I paid or close to it, should I decide to sell. (Yes, I can be fickle when it comes to cars, especially my toys.:D ) I would like to know what the consensus is on a reasonable price for this car. Please help and be honest. As of right now the car is mine. But depending on what I learn here that could change. When I get some replies I'll divulge the buy price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4565754501&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Also if the pricing confirmed to be fair, what should I scrutinize about the car when I get there. I haven't seen it in person yet since it's 850 miles away. I'm in Central NJ and it's in Chicago.

Just to give you all a little background, I'm not new to the automotive scene, just Vettes. I've spent the last 5-6 years playing with Turbo Fords, i.e.-Mustang SVO's, Thunderbird Turbocoupes and Merkur XR4ti's and have decided to change it up..... A LOT!!!

Thanks in advance for the replies.

TommyT

For shipping you can call of all compnies...Fed-Ex....Shipped my 71 from Chicago to NJ. The cost was 533 bucks door to door. for an enclosed trailer it was 900 bucks. Just my 2 cents. They were great and you can do everything online to book it.go to fedex.com and search for Fedex Custom Critical Transport. Phone is 866-277-6327. From a cost standpoint they were the cheapest

Anthony

TommyT said:
Well, the buy price is $11,600 and they won't go any lower. I just wanted to make sure that I was in the ballpark.

Like MRANT212 said if you're happy with it, then buy it. Probably won't get hurt at $11,600. As the old saying goes "Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one...and some of them stink." Do what is right for you. I would consider having someone go look at it for you, might save you quite a bit. I bought mine very much like you're buying this one, except I didn't have the forum to help me out (I didn't know about it then, that came after). I ended up OK, but it was scary.

Good luck.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you want the decals for it they will set you back about another $300-400 or so.

As someone suggested have it checked out by someone that knows vettes, money well spent. If everything checks out ok , go for it. As long as you are happy, that is all that counts. There are plenty of 86's for 5-10k but you will pay a premium for a premium , low mile car. Good luck, Guy

TommyT,

I think it’s a great looking ’86. I went through the images posted by the dealer and here is what I noticed.

• $11,600 sounds reasonable to me.

• Driver-side door handle is recessed at odd angle. The handle should align with the door, just make sure the mechanism is functioning properly

• Driver-side sunvisor—creased, more of an annoyance than anything

• Wood interior treatment is not OEM. Don’t know if you know that, some people like it, some people don’t

• Be careful of clearcoats on ’86s. GM had a problem with clearcoats peeling around this time. The supplier was eventually changed due to this problem.

• Eventual top replacement–those tears are small now...

I would completely service the car top to bottom after the purchase, 4+3, engine coolant, engine oil, differential fluid, brake and steering fluid, etc. Make sure radiator is clear of debris such as leaves, etc. Corvettes are bottom feeders when it comes to air intake and will suck up lightweight materials into the radiator area that can block the cooling fins and raise operating temps.

• The tires are Gatorbacks, those are hard to find these days. They were OEM in ’86

• Number 702 built! Cool!

• Have someone confirm that the digital dash is operating at full luminosity

These are the few things I could see from the photos. As others have mentioned; have a knowledgeable Corvette tech go over the car. All used cars will have some sort of issues, you just want to have reassurance that there is nothing catastrophic about to happen.

Good luck and keep us posted, it looks like it’d be a great Corvette to enjoy.

B17Crew
:w

If you want to arrange for a test drive... I would be happy to go out and look at the car for you in the evening, or over the weekend. Carol Stream is about 20 min from me. let me know.

Dave

74bigblock said:
If you want to arrange for a test drive... I would be happy to go out and look at the car for you in the evening, or over the weekend. Carol Stream is about 20 min from me. let me know.

Dave

That would be great. I'm scheduled to pick the car up on Friday, so anything you could tell me about it after seeing and possibly driving it beforehand would be great. I would really appreciate it.

Tommy

P.S.- You can call me at 917-731-7985 if you're going and I'll call the dealer and let him know what's going on.

Well, I think it might be a little high because C4 prices will still drop for a couple of years yet. But if you think the price is right, Go For It!! I don't think you can go wrong buying that car. It looks really clean. Keep us informed.

Good Luck!

Jim

Well, I went to see the car in Chicago and it was a POS. Paint work everywhere. You could still see the sand marks in the repair work. The search continues. Thanks for the help.

Tommy

Tommy, take a run to Carlisle next week.If you are looking for a nice deal go either sat or sun. Ya might find something!!!

Anthony

TommyT said:
Well, I went to see the car in Chicago and it was a POS. Paint work everywhere. You could still see the sand marks in the repair work. The search continues. Thanks for the help.

You went all the way to chicago and it sucked, that sucks. I was going to look for a car on EBay but had to keep it locale just for that reason. Heard a lot of horror stories about these cars being misrepresented. Very easy to make it look good in pictures with photoshop. I won't travel more than 100 miles to look at anything, time is too valuable to waste. Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom