Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just a quik steeroids question

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
I am going to buy this for my car soon .... So heres the question, I see quite a few of you have bought this but looks like the majority are using there stoock power steering pumps.

I am going to install a 84 corvette serpentine drive on mine and was curious will this pump be fine with what looks like a grand am type of rack and pinion? I am not overly up to date on the C4 corvette. Did they have rack and pinion systems as well?

Do any of you forsee this a nightmare in the making to adapt hoses to this serpentine power steering pump?

My 97 camaro has rack and pinion and I love it! can this feel be achieved with steeroids on my corvette? How does the huge C3 vette steering wheel feel with a more responsive rack and pinion?

Denying all legal resposibility for this response, but I cant see it being any problem, most gm pumps put out about the same pressure and flow. I have steeroids with a stock pump, and love it. BTW, the biggest difference between a saginaw pump with a v belt and a saginaw pump with serpentine is the pulley.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers

Richard

Can't say for sure about the serpentine conversion, but the rack is from the J-car platform, if I recall correctly (Sunbird/Cavalier)(GrandAm?)

You might also want to check and see if Vette Brake & Products ("VB&P") have their PS system completed yet. I'd certainly consider it if I as looking for a second car. My understanding is that they took the idea from Steeroids and re-engineered it to better work with the vette. I wouldn't doubt it. I've been very impressed with their engineering and craftmanship. Additionally, their post-sales support has been very good. They are "Industry Partners" here and regularly post specials for CAC'ers. It's at least worth giving them a shout and letting them know that you found out about 'em here. :thumb

As for the difference the PS makes compared to the recirculating ball setup??? :eek :Twist Night and day. Dial it in with a 4 wheel thrust alignment and man, it's a completely different car! Goes from being a slushy, meandering feel to a bolted down go-cart feel. They only drawback is that your turning radius isn't quite as tight, e.g. it might require an extra 2-3 feet for a complete 180 degree turn.

Denying all legal resposibility for this response, but I cant see it being any problem, most gm pumps put out about the same pressure and flow. I have steeroids with a stock pump, and love it. BTW, the biggest difference between a saginaw pump with a v belt and a saginaw pump with serpentine is the pulley.

Good luck and enjoy.

Cheers

Richard

corvette pump is very different then other gm pumps I have seen. this one has an external resovoir

Can't say for sure about the serpentine conversion, but the rack is from the J-car platform, if I recall correctly (Sunbird/Cavalier)(GrandAm?)

You might also want to check and see if Vette Brake & Products ("VB&P") have their PS system completed yet. I'd certainly consider it if I as looking for a second car. My understanding is that they took the idea from Steeroids and re-engineered it to better work with the vette. I wouldn't doubt it. I've been very impressed with their engineering and craftmanship. Additionally, their post-sales support has been very good. They are "Industry Partners" here and regularly post specials for CAC'ers. It's at least worth giving them a shout and letting them know that you found out about 'em here. :thumb

As for the difference the PS makes compared to the recirculating ball setup??? :eek :Twist Night and day. Dial it in with a 4 wheel thrust alignment and man, it's a completely different car! Goes from being a slushy, meandering feel to a bolted down go-cart feel. They only drawback is that your turning radius isn't quite as tight, e.g. it might require an extra 2-3 feet for a complete 180 degree turn.

I will check them out as well. I'm not overly concerned of the minute downfalls like turning radius and such. this car isn't raced or anything thing like that it's just going to be my daily driver when it's done which is why I'de like a feel similiar to my camaro's steering. Just want the car to have better driving manners.

corvette pump is very different then other gm pumps I have seen. this one has an external resovoir

You probably have an aftermarket pump on there now if it is a remote reservoir. My 77 was the standard pump. I went with manual rack and pinion and love it!!

You probably have an aftermarket pump on there now if it is a remote reservoir. My 77 was the standard pump. I went with manual rack and pinion and love it!!

No it's not aftermarket, it is a 1984 corvette P/S pump is all. My original p/s pump was probably the same as yours though

No it's not aftermarket, it is a 1984 corvette P/S pump is all. My original p/s pump was probably the same as yours though

the pump is the same the reservoir on a stock pump is wrapped around the pump while on a remote system its plumbed in.

Flaming river makes a rack and pinion system for Corvettes also along with some nice tilt columns

prd_lg_344.jpg

If you do let me know how well the quality is. I like that setup over the steeroids, looks like a much sturdier setup
If I remember and can find a couple spare minutes this weekend, I'll pop in and ask questions.

I have the Flaming River manual rack and love it!!! It fit great(except for a slight clearance issue with my 7 qt. oil pan). I fixed that in about 10 minutes. The steering is tighter than I've ever felt it. a little hard in a parking lot but I try not to spend that much time parking:rotfl. I'd rather drive! There's no detectable flex in the system at all.

I have no detectable flex in my steeroids setup, although I have seen reports about it. Just about anything from Steeroids, VB&P, Flaming River, etc tend to be of really high quality. Its just a matter of choice.

Cheers

Richard

The flex issues are quite real, and if you look at the driver's side mounting bracket you can see why.....I did my own install some 6+ years ago and it's been fine with about 30% of the steel these guys use....steeroids/VBP, in fact mine has less flex....and only two input universals....

some consider it a negative, but I did cut a crescent out of the lower backside of the engine mount, not an issue with my 400ft lbs SBC in over 6 years....what this does is allow the rack to be raised and tipped forward to get that input up higher and on better angle to allow just two universals....

:upthumbs

Yes, I remember seeing videos of the flex problems which was quite an eye opener. We have looked at mine, dry steering with the engine running, and with it off, and hard against the stops from end to end I have no noticeable flex. Maybe I got lucky, but I am not complaining, and I do however periodically check everything for tightness and security.

Cheers

Richard

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom