Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just joined

LuckyLar

Corvette
2008 Coupe
Hi Everybody,
I just purchased my first Vette. It is a base model 2008 Coupe.
I live in Minneapolis. I purchased it in Dallas and drove it home last month. It is the 436 HP with auto trans.
I love driving this car but find it a bit scary at times. It has a tendency to go sideways when I give it full throttle between 30 and 40 mph.

Will new tires correct this?

Welcome to the :CAC

"It has a tendency to go sideways when I give it full throttle between 30 and 40 mph."
Just hang on and enjoy the ride!

:welcome

Don't turn off traction control and active handling then! That will really get your attention if you floor it at 30-40.

Are you saying that it is more likely to go sideways with traction control and active handling turned on?

Are you saying that it is more likely to go sideways with traction control and active handling turned on?

No, just the opposite - the car will try to swap ends on you and eat up the tires.

Welcome to the group. These cars are sometimes a handful. New tires made my ride more manageable!

No, just the opposite - the car will try to swap ends on you and eat up the tires.

Thanks, that is what I thought. I thought that they were both turned on but not sure. They are on now. Would I be correct in thinking it would be more controllable using the paddle shifters?

Using the paddles keeps both hands on the wheel. It is an advantage over rowing my 6 speed. ;)

Welcome to the group. These cars are sometimes a handful. New tires made my ride more manageable!

What kind of tires did you get?

I was talking to a guy tonight and he said he just got some Michelin Pilots and that they are very sticky and he can barely spin the tires. I think he has a C5, not sure if any mods.

If you're looking for a new set of tires for you C6, look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP or the Pilot Sport A/S ZP.
When I had an 08, I replaced the GY's with the A/S ZP for their all weather capability. Last year, I put PSS tires on my CTS V and I've been very happy with them.

Welcome to Corvette Action Center and Congratulations

Hi Everybody,
I just purchased my first Vette. It is a base model 2008 Coupe.
I live in Minneapolis. I purchased it in Dallas and drove it home last month. It is the 436 HP with auto trans.
I love driving this car but find it a bit scary at times. It has a tendency to go sideways when I give it full throttle between 30 and 40 mph.

Will new tires correct this?

Welcome aboard, glad you've joined us :happyanim:

-Bill :w

If you're looking for a new set of tires for you C6, look at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP or the Pilot Sport A/S ZP.
When I had an 08, I replaced the GY's with the A/S ZP for their all weather capability. Last year, I put PSS tires on my CTS V and I've been very happy with them.

Thank you. I think I will try the ones for best dry road traction.

What kind of tires did you get?

I was talking to a guy tonight and he said he just got some Michelin Pilots and that they are very sticky and he can barely spin the tires. I think he has a C5, not sure if any mods.

I could not find a set of the Goodyear F1s, but I did find some Bridgestone RE760s. Thought I would try these because the price was right. So far I am liking these tires. Great for daily driving. Maybe not so good for the track. Much improved ride quality over the original tires. I hear these are becoming scarce now, though.

I could not find a set of the Goodyear F1s, but I did find some Bridgestone RE760s. Thought I would try these because the price was right. So far I am liking these tires. Great for daily driving. Maybe not so good for the track. Much improved ride quality over the original tires. I hear these are becoming scarce now, though.
Thanks

Welcome to CAC!!
enjoy!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom