Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just ordered 3.54 rear end!!!

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
I ordered a 3.54 rear end for my 85 L98. It should get me off the line a little quicker than my stock 2.73's.
rockon6rk.gif

60 mph @ 2000 rpm
sHa_thumbsup3.gif
, it should work well for me, my 85 I bought off ebay for next to nothin, I think I will keep adding crap to this vette and keep my 84 basically stock except for the renegade intake I am still waiting for.
rockon6rk.gif

Mine works extremely well. Couple it with a good hole-shot converter (assuming an automatic) and it'd really limit your traction.

Doesn't help my gas mileage any. :D

ebay..huh.?
as long as they are new it should be cool..
i am wondering why corvette gears cost 3 times as much as any other gear set on earth;shrug

Because they're made different? Nope... because they say Corvette on them? Nope. Because we just naturally have more disposable income? Well, some of us have more money than sense. :D

Yes they are brand new with new seals and yoke thingys. It comes with that bat wing that people call it, not just the gears and the little housing but the whole thing.

i am wondering why corvette gears cost 3 times as much as any other gear set

Because the gear set only fits a Corvette and not many people buy them.Supply and demand
Millions of 9" Ford diffs fitted = bigger market , more buyers and cheaper production costs:thumb

Because the gear set only fits a Corvette and not many people buy them.Supply and demand
Millions of 9" Ford diffs fitted = bigger market , more buyers and cheaper production costs:thumb

Well...kinda. The back half of the differential is unique to the Corvette, but the front is just a DANA 36 (or 44 in the case of the manuals). If a person was good a sealing the unit themselves, I'd imagine it'd be a little cheaper to not buy the whole assembly. That said, Corvette suspensions are VERY popular with the kit car/restomod community, which doesn't help availability.

Well...kinda. .... but the front is just a DANA 36 (or 44 in the case of the manuals).

Wrong ,
the D44 (D44-HD / Super 44 ) found in C4 Vettes ( and Vipers ) is unique to those cars.
Has a D44 pinion with a D60 spline and D60 bearings.The Trac-Lok posi (carrier ) is also a one off .1/4" narrower than a regular D44 which is why you can't get an off the shelf D44 spool to fit a Vette.
The C4 D44 is also different to the D44 (D44-ICA) found in C3's.Nothing interchanges

what about my dnana 36 in 2:59 ..can i go to a 3:75..?

You may be able to, but my 3.54 gears have my car turning 2400 rpm at 75 mph in 4th gear. It's hell on gas mileage.

This plus a holeshot converter give me 1.9 sec 60 foot times on street tires, though. :D

2400 at 75mph....hmmmmm...
doesnt seem to high. unless you into long distance cruzin...
but the 3:54's and yer input would answer a question..thanx..
the only other experence i had was with a 6 spd. and a final drive of .5 with 4:10's...it was pretty sweet...
but the final drive on the auto is .7 or pretty close to that so it would matter

what about my dana 36 in 2:59 ..can i go to a 3:75..?

Two choices; change to a "3 series" carrier with regular gears or get a thick gearset to fit the "2 series" carrier you have now. Aftermarket D36 gearsets are so expensive compared to D44 ones it is almost worthwhile considering the upgrade for the added strength.

so all i need is a 3rd member from a wrecked 6 spd c4?
To do a D44 conversion, you need a batwing and head from any stick car EXCEPT '84. Reuse the rest of your end parts.
Ratios vary;
4+3 cars are 3.07 ; ZF6 3.45 / 3.54. Also some rare 3.31's out there
You also need the D44 driveshaft and C beam unless you modify the D36 ones.
Complete conversion on eSlay now for $1100
Corvette DANA 44 Rear Suspension 3.07 Conversion 87k :eBay Motors (item 380129364448 end time Jun-15-09 19:14:15 PDT)

thank you so much for this information...
it goes back to a post i did a couple of months ago;;it goes somthing like this...
" by the time i finish buying all the up grades for my c4 i could have bought a c5"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom