Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just picked up an '82

Flowjoe

Corvette
1970 - LT1, 1982 Standard
Hi! Obviously new to the forum and relatively new to Corvettes. I've done a lot with 1st and early 2nd gen Camaros (have several of each at the moment) and have a '70 Corvette project that was dumped on me by a friend in 1000's and 1000's of pieces.

Picked up an '82 base car last week in very unmolested condition. It runs fairly well and cleaned up nicely over the weekend. Looking to correct some cosmetic and minor mechanical items.

In looking at the various resto suppliers I cannot seems to find a nose emblem or a gas cap emblem for '82. They seem to make them for all other years but not specifically '82. Will the '81 emblems fit? Or another year?

The shift boot is also worn through. I see a number of options for replacing this even within a single vendor's catalog. Is there a qualitative difference between a $19.95 leather boot and a $50+ leather boot replacement?

At the moment the electric mirrors do not operate. I need to verify they have power but complicating matters is the fact that the joy stick has dropped inside the console. Is this a common problem? I do not see this part listed any where so I'm assuming it is an NOS or used piece to replace.

At any rate, I appreciate any help you can provide and will be bugging you with lots more questions as I work throwing this car.

1st Welcome to CAC!!!
congrats on the '82

the '82 nose emblem are specific to that year...
as are the '80 & '81's

Check paragon..they aren't a supporting vendor but I checked the 2 we have and they are discontinued
or don't show them at all for non Collector editions.
as far as a shift boot about 30.00 if I do the math...what ever you want will be fine
I dont know anything about the mirror as my has finger strong mirrors...
try taking a side off the console and see why it dropped.
don't hesitate to ask if you run into problems...good luck

1st Welcome to CAC!!!
congrats on the '82

the '82 nose emblem are specific to that year...
as are the '80 & '81's

Check paragon..they aren't a supporting vendor but I checked the 2 we have and they are discontinued
or don't show them at all for non Collector editions.
as far as a shift boot about 30.00 if I do the math...what ever you want will be fine
I dont know anything about the mirror as my has finger strong mirrors...
try taking a side off the console and see why it dropped.
don't hesitate to ask if you run into problems...good luck
Thanks for the welcome!:)

Paragon is a dead end on the emblems too. Everyone has the special edition emblems in repop though...unfortunately it's a base car.

Taking the console apart this weekend just looking for an angle before I dive in...LOL.

Thanks for the input.

Welcome.
Seems strange about no one having the emblems for the base model. Would have thought that with there being more base models than collectors that there would be emblems for them. The emblems from an 81 may fit but it's a different design on the emblem so I wouldn't bother trying.
With the joystick for the mirrors the threads on the shifter console may have broken which might be why it's dropped. But you'll soon work out what it is when you take a look.
When doing the shift boot I would also look at doing the lower shift boot. Mine was almost nonexistent when I looked at it.
Good luck. Any questions just ask.

Welcome.
Seems strange about no one having the emblems for the base model. Would have thought that with there being more base models than collectors that there would be emblems for them. The emblems from an 81 may fit but it's a different design on the emblem so I wouldn't bother trying.
With the joystick for the mirrors the threads on the shifter console may have broken which might be why it's dropped. But you'll soon work out what it is when you take a look.
When doing the shift boot I would also look at doing the lower shift boot. Mine was almost nonexistent when I looked at it.
Good luck. Any questions just ask.
OK, good point. until now I wasn't 100% sure there was an inner and an outer:). Yeah, gotta get that console apart to see what's what...and I agree about the emblem...maybe the repop companies figure there are more people willing to spring for parts for a Collectors Edition....who knows.

Welcome aboard :thumb

Check this out: "1982 Front Emblem".

Bud
Thanks for the link. Before I started this thread I was having a hard time getting a handle on whether or not they were specific to that year. I hate to trust EBay vendors till I know my own facts;) Looks like that will be my source for front and gas lid emblems though.

82 emblems are one year only. Before you dive into the console, are you aware of the two hidden trim screws beneath the center cluster? You may want to consider ordering the 82 assembly instruction manual (AIM) when you order your emblems.

Congrats on the 82.

:thumb

82 emblems are one year only. Before you dive into the console, are you aware of the two hidden trim screws beneath the center cluster? You may want to consider ordering the 82 assembly instruction manual (AIM) when you order your emblems.

Congrats on the 82.

:thumb
LOL - yes, an AIM is on my list of gets. On Camaros a lot of interior pieces are not covered by the AIM as Fisher Body handled all of that prior to passing it through the wall to Chevrolet. I assume this was not the case with Corvettes by '82?

The guy that sold me my new front and rear '82 emblems on eBay has a box full of them, having bought them from the OE supplier many years ago. They are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy that sold me my new front and rear '82 emblems on eBay has a box full of them, having bought them from the OE supplier many years ago. They are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, they do seem to be out there on EBAY . Now that I know that it is truly a one year only piece (thanks for that gang:thumb) I've been scouring EBay . Even for that venue there is a silly range of pricing. Managed to find some for reasonable rates though.

I know the gas door is fastened with speed nuts but is the front emblem truly put on with double stick tape? If so, best method to remove the old emblem?

I also have an AIM enroute....;)

The fronts are held on by 3M tape and have two locating pins. (The front and rear emblems are identical except for the crease on the front's and no tape on the rear). Most recommend heating the front with a hair dryer (be extremely careful if you use a heat gun) and then "sawing" through the tape with fishing line.
I am waiting to replace mine - although I acquired them this winter - after I someday get the car painted.
Dave

The fronts are held on by 3M tape and have two locating pins. (The front and rear emblems are identical except for the crease on the front's and no tape on the rear). Most recommend heating the front with a hair dryer (be extremely careful if you use a heat gun) and then "sawing" through the tape with fishing line.
I am waiting to replace mine - although I acquired them this winter - after I someday get the car painted.
Dave
Yeah, a heat gun would be just a little sketchy in my view. I was afraid it was going to be a fish line solution. Someone prior to me colored in the emblems, assumably to make them look fresh...it didn't work. They look like a six year old took their paint set to it. I'll post photos later.

Yeah, a heat gun would be just a little sketchy in my view. I was afraid it was going to be a fish line solution. Someone prior to me colored in the emblems, assumably to make them look fresh...it didn't work. They look like a six year old took their paint set to it. I'll post photos later.
In my years of experience, Most Bubba fix's look like a 6 year old did the fix :chuckle :rotfl
Done right the first time same saves $$ headaches and time :dance :D Just an observation from an OLD Corvette Owner ;)

Bud

In my years of experience, Most Bubba fix's look like a 6 year old did the fix :chuckle :rotfl
Done right the first time same saves $$ headaches and time :dance :D Just an observation from an OLD Corvette Owner ;)

Bud

LOL

I am really approaching this car as a driver and not a restoration project but there are some things with which I cannot live. These would be two of them:

frontemblem.jpg
Front
rearemblem.jpg
Rear

New ones enroute:)

Here are some photos of the car. We gave it a good cleaning this past weekend.

vette2.jpg
vette3.jpg

The only significant piece of body damage
vette4.jpg
vette5.jpg
vette6.jpg

I have a full side view but the site is telling me my file size is too large...even though I am using a remote storage site to host the photos...hmmmm

vette1.jpg

There! Downsized pixels width a tad and slipped it in...:)

Last edited:
Curious... is your 82 a CB radio car???

Bud

Curious... is your 82 a CB radio car???

Bud

The radio that is in there is a Delco unit...AM/FM Cassette. I don't see any obvious signs of a CB being installed. For what should I look? I figured that antenna looked like an add on by whichever PO did the art work on the emblems.:L

The radio that is in there is a Delco unit...AM/FM Cassette. I don't see any obvious signs of a CB being installed. For what should I look? I figured that antenna looked like an add on by whichever PO did the art work on the emblems.:L

Not sure what signs would be on the car. Other than the build sheet on the gas tank. (Which is a PITA to read without dropping the tank)
The build sheet would confirm if it was a CB car. You should be able to order one from the corvette museum.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom