Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

K&N Filter... what a p.o.s!

• Thread starter Thread starter Skant
  • Start date Start date
S

Skant

I just got my K&N Filter from ZIP today. I tried to install it. I figured it would just be a replacement filter, right? Easy. Just take the old filter out and put the new one in.

Wrong.

For some reason, the K&N filter is not the same size as the OEM filter. So to make up for this, they have these silly little foam pieces you're supposed to try to arrange around the edges of the airbox to fill in the gaps.

The filter was also too wide. By about an eighth of an inch. No matter what I did, it would either stick out the left side or the right side of the airbox.

So overall by the time I had it all sandwiched together, I felt no confidence in this mickey mouse jury rig of a product making a seal and staying sealed over time. I just couldn't put something that silly into my precious vette. I took it out, put it back in its box, and will return it.

I can't understand why K&N doesn't just manufacture an OEM sized filter for the Corvette. Instead, they appear to be using some generic sized filter with a mickey mouse kit to try to make it fit even though it really doesn't.

I've used K&N before on other vehicles and it was great. Direct replacement. Easy. It's just the kit for the Corvette which is useless.

Plus it seems to be controversial whether the K&N filter produces more power in a vette anyway.

I got an open air box at the same time, and that seems to be just fine. Though I can't say I actually felt any power increase. Going to open air made a very noticable difference in my other vehicles, but I think the vette has a pretty good intake just to begin with. So the difference is much less.

- Skant

I have heard such good things about K&N, but after what u said, it might have just changed my mind about it!

well, if the filter dosent give you any HP, then try stickers, it works for the ricers! :L

It's not K&N's fault, it's probably the distributor's. I'm sure K&N has a filter that fits your application correctly. ;)

_ken :w

ahh, the posts put my trust back into K&N! what was the distubuter u bought it from? ill be sure NOT to get it from them!

It's the right filter. I bought it from ZIP products. We checked the part numbers, and it's the right one. I called K&N, and they had me check the numbers on the box _and_ on the filter itself. It is absolutely the correct filter.

The lady at K&N basically just went over the instructions trying to find where I did something wrong. Funny little foam pieces and all. I did it all correctly. I did manage to put it all together. I just had zero confidence in the finished assembled product. It's just too much of a jury rig.

This doesn't mean all K&N filters are bad. I've had them on my other vehicles, and they were great. For some reason, their 1990-1996 Corvette filter is... well, it's a whole jury rig kit to try to get a non-OEM sized filter to fit into an OEM air box.

Derek: I don't doubt that the 89 model K&N filter fits directly like you say. The 90-96 K&N filter kit seems to be a totally different animal.

Never had any problems with K&N filters.
I've used them in a few other cars as well and they always fit.

Maybe GM made some alterations during production?
K&N filters work great in our Vette's so why don't opt for an cold air induction system and loose your stock filtervbox completly.
I did.... and i love it... the engine revs up instantly and you get that nice airy sound from under the bonnet (you can hear the engine suck in the air...)

Sucking Air

I had the same concerns when I received my K&N for the '94. I had previously put a K&N in the '97 Grand Prix GTP I owned and it was a factory quality fit, so imagine my surprise when I had to perform modifications for this filter.

When applied correctly I think the 4 foam strips that go around the perimeter of the airbox make a strong seal. The deck of my airbox where the filter seats is not 100% flat so I think the foam gives me a better seal than I had with a stock filter. I removed the airbox for this install so I could get a good look at the filter and to be sure the foam and rubber wasn't bunched up or sticking out from under the filter cover.

This is also when I installed my metal air cleaner lid. The original plastic lid has a lot of flex to it and I wasn't comfortable with how the 5 slots on the bottom locked onto the tabs of the air box. They looked like they were very close to slipping off. After about 2000 miles I am happy with the integrity of the system.

_Jeff

that's wierd because I remember mine dropping in pretty easily in my 94. I left those foam strips in the box, didn't need em.
Didn't have it long though before I went to the Breathless Rammer, which is better than the OEM style setup but I don't recommend for 90-96 due to it's poor construction.

K&N filter on lt4

I saw your post. I went down to the local parts store and bought my K&N not long ago. Had never used one before. Mine dropped right in place with no problems. As far as the foam pieces, I never could figure out how they were suppose to go on and finally pulled them off. I opened the lid while it was off. I was impressed immediately. Even my 13 year old daughter could tell a difference right away.

I put a K&N in my 90 ZR1 and I remember the foam strips. It installed quite nicely and was a snug fit with the strips and I never worried about it for the two years I had it. EVERY car I've had I immediately put on K&N and Flowmasters, especially on my trucks. Gas mileage increases on my Ford V10 from 10.5 to 15 open road. My 02 has a K&N W/ B&B PRT SS.(No Flowmaster SS were available.:w :CAC

I haven't returned the filter just yet. I've been talking with ZIP products about it. They say they've sold 50 of these this year and had no problems. We're trying to work out what specifically the problem is so it can be remedied or so that their other customers can be warned. ZIP seemed to be very interested in making sure that the problem was resolved since they don't want other customers to have a bad experience, too.

They told me that they compared the K&N filter I ordered to a stock 1996 filter back to back and they were of identical size. So they didn't understand why it wouldn't fit properly. The foam pieces seem to be an extra that isn't actually needed to make it fit.. they just form a better seal.

They said for sure it would fit unless maybe it was an LT4 or something. I told them that this was indeed an LT4. They said there was some concern that an LT4 might be different somehow. They would do more checking and get back to me.

They suggested I compare the two filters back to back and examine it carefully. So I took my stock filter back out and compared them back to back. The K&N filter is obviously not the same size.

Stock filter P/N AC DELCO A1097C
K&N filter P/N 33-2035

Width x Height x Thick
--------------------------------------------------------------
Stock filter measures 17 1/4 x 10 9/16 x 1 9/16
K&N filter measures 17 5/8 x 10 11/16 x 1 1/8

Difference 3/8 x 1/8 x 7/16

I can get this filter to fit into my new open air lid because the new lid is plastic and has some flex. But it pushes it off the tabs and the filter bulges upward with a big gap underneath it. No seal.

I can't get the lid to close with this filter in it with my stock closed metal filter. The filter is spilling out the sides of the box. It can't squish in far enough to fit.

The stock filter fits perfectly in both lids.

Is it possible that I have a defective K&N filter? Somehow manufacturered bigger than it was supposed to be?

I've checked and rechecked and checked again with K&N on the phone and on their website to make sure this is the right filter. It all matches. According to them this filter should fit.

And yet it's too wide and tall to fit in the airbox. It's too wide by nearly a half an inch!

- Skant

This may be a stupid question and don't take offense
but did you try turning the filter differently when installing it ?
Is it possible you're putting it in upside down ?

Skant said:
Is it possible that I have a defective K&N filter? Somehow manufacturered bigger than it was supposed to be?

It's very possible and sounds like that may be the problem. I know the 89 filter is a slightly different size, maybe it got packaged into the wrong box somehow at the factory or at Zip.
Sounds like Zip is willing to help you out but they can do all the checking they want over there and it's not going to solve your problem. I would return the filter and have them ship you a new one.

same thing happened in my talon.....filter didnt fit althou it was supposed to be direct replacment of factory, had to do few small mods and now its good and works

q:beer

Put mine in my C5 in 15 minutes, no problem , perfect fit. Just my .02 worth

Just sounds like the LT series are having this problem. On my L98 it was a direct replacement as well.

The rubber is somewhat some of these filters have you considered shaving it a little the exact measurements?

I've put K&N's in four different cars and they've all been perfect drop-in fits. Have you compared your filter to a stock LT1 filter (either part number or size) to see if an LT4's really is different?
[RICHR]

rrubel: The stock filter on my LT4 is:

AC DELCO A1097C

Anyone know the part number for the stock filter on the LT1? And was it the same part number 1990-1996?

- Skant

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom