Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

K&N Filter... what a p.o.s!

• Thread starter Thread starter Skant
  • Start date Start date
JakeJR, that red "gunk" is the oil used to trap dirt. If you removed it *all* from your filter, then it's going to do a really bad job of keeping stuff out of your engine... First step after cleaning a K&N filter is to re-oil it...
[RICHR]

K&N claims on their website that this is only a problem if you over oil their filters. They say filters oiled to a proper level won't fowl the MAF. Though I have wondered.

Is a shot of carb cleaner a safe fix for the MAF? Maybe hitting the MAF with carb cleaner sometimes would be a good idea? If it was, I would imagine some folks with fouled MAFs could have cleaned them rather than replacing them. Hmmm...

While I'm really unimpressed with the K&N filter for my stock 96 air box, I was planning on buying the SLP intake ('the claw') with the three K&N filters (which presumably fit worth a damn)... but the MAF fouling problem makes me think twice...

I wonder if folks may have problems with it and not even know since they're not testing it like you are... just a slow gradual reduction you can't feel..

- Skant

rrubel said:
JakeJR, that red "gunk" is the oil used to trap dirt. If you removed it *all* from your filter, then it's going to do a really bad job of keeping stuff out of your engine... First step after cleaning a K&N filter is to re-oil it...
[RICHR]

Thanks for that, but not only did I already know what it is and what it's for, but I also know the problems it causes with the MAF sensor wiring.

Speed denisty guys won't have a problem and if you keep track of all your engine's sensor readings, like I do, using a ScanTool or Diacom, you should be able to spot trouble early enough to head it off..

I haven't and don't plan to reoil mine, but to each his own I say.

Jake

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom