Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Keeping coool this summer ( radiator)

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
I thought I would post some Kooling tips... since it is summer..... and we bottom feeders run hot anyway... some handy tips!

1) If your getting you radiator serviced DO NOT get it Boiled out... the solution will react with the aluminum causing it to turn to Swiss cheese.

2) Do a flush with a Prestone (or similar kit) to get all that loose junk OUT of your cooling system.... I do not recomend ANY flush additives... just clear cool water... then do a 50/50 mix. ( remember don't drain your OLD coolant in the gutter)

3) Get the junk out of the front tray in front of the radiator.

Straighten out bent A/C condenser fins!

Hi pressure wash out the front of your radiator EXCEPT YOU OPTI SPARK GUYS!!!! LT-1's you will be surprised HOW MUCH GOO comes out of the A/C condenser & radiator. I like to use a carb cleaner and let it soak a bit then LET IT HAVE IT with the High pressure wash @ the local self serve car wash. For you Opti spark guys I hear that using a large plastic sheet with towels underneath works OK... but do this at your own risk!!!!!!!

4) MYTH... If I take out the thermostat... the engine will run cooler... Bzzzztttttt WRONGO

The engine is designed to run hot...
not that I agree with that...
but just changing the stat will not in ANY way make the engine run cooler... the trick is getting MORE AIR over the fins in the radiator and of couse proper pressure in the cooling system.

Water boils @ sea level @212 degrees

DID YOU KNOW THAT>>>>>>
Coolant boils 50/50 mix @ 15lbs of pressure @ 262 degrees!

5) Change your cap... 5 bucks or so... ( 15 lbs stock) CHEAP maintance!

6) Make sure your fans work!!!!!!
The MAIN fan ( stock ) comes on either...

A) With the A/C on ( any temp ) a few seconds AFTER the A/C engages and pressure rises in the A/C system.

OR

B) You hit 232 degrees

If you have an AUX fan... that comes on at around 220-225 depend on the calibration of the sender.

AND I DO RECOMEND the Mid America low temp fan sensor!! comes on @ 200 & Off @ 180

7) Check your hoses.. if there SOFT replace em before you puke out your cooling system. Espically the lower hose.. it has a tendancy to rub against the frame/ suspension... most of the hoses have SOME form of anti -rub protection.. check yours NOW.

When the system is WARM or HOT the upper radiator hose should be FIRM with the system pressure.. If not...you got a leaky-leaky.

As you grab the Bottom hose the temp should be cooler than the top hose.... Top discharge of HOT ENGINE COOLANT!
Bottom return of COOLER COOLANT back!

That's why you have thaty SPRING THING in the lower hose to keep it from collapsing from SUCTION!

Check the ends of your hoses... any white stains? That means coolant is leaking in the form of steam!

8) Weepin Hole

Get a GOOD inspection mirror and look under the water pump (system hot engine off) and look for steam... or other leak or stains of coolant.. now be careful... It's HOT!

And for the very brave... you can lift the car and crawl under... better view... but your getting slimed!

Now I'm sure everyone will chime in with their OWN tips... which is a good thing. I wanted ONE place to AIR this one out.

Vig!
( Ducking )

what is a good themitstate for a L98 85 corvette

i have a 160 stat inthere right now

my car hit 212 degrees today

i have new water pump, raditator 160 stat, and both my fans on all the time, maybe i shoudln't worry about 212, didn't run it enough to see if it would go up

but i had the feeling it would,, i was only going about 90 or so... not to fast

it shouldn't be 212 and rising at 90 mph i wouldn't think
my car has been sitting for a wire only thing i can think of is my stat is sticking, which could be cause i had alot of water in my system, while it was siting so maybe the stat rusted a little or something,,,

i just did the valve adjustment on my car and my new injectors come in this wensday my car idles at 500 right now,, trying to get it to 400 in drive, like it should be. i fixed my low voltage thing it was a fuse link by the starter that was making my battery not get any juice., when i took my car out on the road today, i notice what i think is that my car is wanting more gas, so i think these injectors 30 poudns per hour,, will fix this problem, im going to buy a adjustable regulator too as well to stick on there

KEEPING COOL

SINCE I INSTALLED A TRANNY COOLER, MY ENGINE RUNS @230 DEGREES ON HOT DAYS (OVER 95). DO YOU THINK THIS IS TOO HIGH? HOW DO I LOWER THIS TEMP.?

Snake

1st stop using all cap's ( It implies SHOUTING)

2nd have there been any other Mods to your car?

Vig!

Vig?

can my themerstat be to low

why hasn't anyone answered this,

So here's the cool deal

I saved 5-7 degrees by switching to the following coolant formula.

70 % distilled water ( Couldn't find enough FIJI water..LOL)

25% green coolant

5% Redline water wetter

That's the deal for me!

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom