Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ken's Engine Project... Part VI - 2004

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
To all those thinking of modifications - It just never ends!

I guess I should expect it though, after all I did build a hot rod and not a comfo-cruiser; and when you build hot rods you're never really done. You might be out of money, but you're never done with the project. ;)

The lastest, but not the greatest news:

I followed my TEC3 rep to Venice today so he could drop his Porsche off at Beach Boys Racing - Venice Beach Auto Body. On the ride back Rick was able to monitor the engine functions on my laptop while I drove and he tweaked. The driveability issues are just about solved, with the exception being my "Intermittent Cam Synch Sensor Failure", and we're still banging our heads against the wall on that one. We'll get it one of these days. :hb

In the meantime, it's running fine as stated above. :cool

But ...

As I pulled out onto Pier Ave. to head down to Ruby's, I saw another Ruby's regular right behind me in his '67 Chevelle. He pulled alongside as we cruised through downtown, and he commented that he liked my 40-series Flowmasters, as opposed to his 50-series. Of course, I like hearing things like that, so in order for him to fully appreciate it I goosed it to the tune of about half-throttle for a half-block or so. :bu

As I shifted, actually, as I was accelerating still, I could hear a howling noise. That howling noise grew as I increased speed. That howling noise was even more apparent when I disengaged the clutch; whether it was in neutral or whether it was still in gear - pushed in the clutch and the noise got louder. :eek

At first I thought transmission because I know I have a bad synchro in second, but the transmission is shifting fine in all gears without any unusual noises. However, if I lean between the seats and cock my right ear a little, the noise seems to be coming from the third member. What the heck could go wrong there?? I installed the 3.73's back in 2001 and drove the car across country that summer; surely that broke 'em in. :L

I didn't even hammer it that hard; I hammered it hard in first earlier today on Lincoln Blvd. and didn't experience anything unusual.

The only things I did to it today was check my troublesome spark plug boot (and that was holding up fine), and I raised the rear again approximately a half-inch. Raising the rear end certainly ain't gonna cause no howling noises, that's for sure! :L

I gotta get it up on a lift now to try and track down the source of this latest conundrum. Damn, I could understand it if I was smokin' the tires or something... :hb

I put it up on jackstands yesterday and, while using a stethoscope, I was able to rotate the wheel/axle assembly while I listened to different parts of the drivetrain. I checked both sides of the carrier at the axle yokes, and all the way up to the transmission. The noise (which is a "clicking" noise while suspended, instead of a "howl") appears to be centered, literally, on the center portion of the carrier assembly.

I checked the service manual and after thinking about it for a while, I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a bad pinion bearing.

My first indication was the fact that the noise was a steady, consistent click instead of being a sound heard once a revolution. The second clue is the difference in sound when the wheels are unloaded (off the ground); the noise is much less pronounced - less load on a bearing = less noise, no?

The third clue is to be found in the Helm service manual:

Problem:A continuous low pitch whirring or scraping noise starting at relatively low speeds.
Cause:Pinion bearing.

Looks like I'll be pulling the third member soon; I gotta cut costs, and performing my own labor when possible is first step in accomplishing that goal. Wish me luck. :eyerole

dang hot rods!!....here's your wish " Good Luck"....
I'm not going to say anything , I have some growling noises as of late in my drive train also....havent started looking yet.

Hot Rods

Always something to fix on mine also ;LOL

I hope to buy a newer one for a daily driver and "play" with the 76, but who knows when that will happen :confused

Good luck, too bad you are so far away

I'm tired, but the rear end's out of the car...

Looks like it's the ring and pinion after all. This unit was rebuilt with the 3.73's in early 2001, by Guldstrand's shop, and I put approximately 10,000 miles on it since. I guess it's a case of improper installation, eh? Someone obviously didn't set the lash right, now I gotta do it again.​

This makes two fiascos I've been through with that shop; the overdrive install was another **** up someone made that I had to pay twice for. :eyerole​

DSCF0007_A.jpg

DSCF0008_A.jpg

DSCF0004_A.jpg

Comes out as one piece. It's a little unwieldy, especially in close confines, but it makes removing and installing it a snap.​
DSCF0006_A.jpg

Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna come up with the money for this - and the second gear synchro in the trans still needs to be repaired. :hb

Is that fuzzy thing the magnet on the drain plug? Looks like an oily Chia Pet!

Give you a really good deal on an almost-new set of 3.45's... yes, I realize that's downgrading...

I've met Dick Guldstrand twice at Carlisle. If he's there this year, want me to rough him up a bit for you? :)

[RICHR]

Hi Ken,

Man if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. I'm almost as bummed out as you. Seems you pay to have work done by "professionals" that are reputable and still get shoddy work. You may want to look at www.tom's differentials.com. I know they are located in Paramount, which is Southern Ca., but have no idea where that is in relation to you. Check out their catalog, they've got about 5 pages devoted to the C4. I had a complete new rear built from them (BOE) best of everything for around $2200. Can't hurt to at least check 'em out.

Terry

Oh yeah, Tom's was the first place to come up when we discussed this yesterday. Paramount is only a few miles from me. ;)

I've just gotta find a way to whore myself for the money. :L

Just remember, there are only so many pints of blood in the human body. I don't know what they give for plasma these days.;LOL

Ya know, it's weighed heavily on my mind ever since I uttered (typed) the words, but to be fair, I cannot honestly say that the rear gear failure was due to improper installation by Guldstrand's shop. After all, it was over 10,000 miles ago and my engine's torque rating has significantly increased since those gears were installed, plus I installed the ROD 6-speed with a 3.28 first gear, so I could have stretched things a bit while beating it up these past few years - what with my mis-shifts on the track and who knows how many burnouts! :bu

I hereby relieve Dick Guldstrand of any responsibilty in regards my rear gears, but that still doesn't let him off the hook as far as my overdrive fiasco went.

They should have accepted more responsibility for that one; they are the ones who sent the unit out to another shop to have the overdrive attached to the transmission. That shop installed an incorrect O-ring and I lost all fluid, thereby burning up the overdrive, while out there in the middle of the country. (I was on my way to Bowling Green). :eyerole

Live and learn. Then die. :hb

Oh, by the way, so far there have been two people who tell me that "Tom" himself at Tom's Differentials is a bugger to deal with. He's the no-nonsense type I hear, but a general PITA to deal with I guess.
We at Tom's Differentials assemble each rear as an individual custom unit. There is no mass production close enough stuff here. I demand care careful attention be paid to each and every unit that leaves our shop. So if your interested in just a so-so unit, please don't bother me. We have always had and will continue to have the best of reputations and no compromises will be accepted. My personal preference is to service American made vehicles so you will notice very little for imports in my catalog. You will also notice that the majority of components we offer are made in America. I love my country and support it when ever possible. BUY AMERICAN!

My web site's been updated with some pictures of the rear suspension pieces - before and after cleaning: rear end work. :cool

DSCF0013.JPG

Just what I've been waiting for ,pictures of your rear end....:eyerole
;LOL

Great photo,s Reminds me of alot of work.

Perty! And I am not in the habit of commenting on guys'.

Ya know, I like Dick a lot but had seen some young guy working for him, back in the Culver days, who was jumping up and down on tail pipes trying to align the mufflers on a customer car. I was not impressed. Maybe Dick's interests have move upscale and his manager is 'less-than'. Sad, if true. I know they built a Vette engine and installed it in the Governator's Hummer.

Is the new rear going in; already??

Funny (or not), my fuel pump also lost power, but only during the 'turn-on'. All I can find in the schematic is power from the ECM and the oil pressure switch, feeding the same lug on the relay. Applying 12vdc to the fuse powers the pump just fine. The car continues to run once started and the 'jumper' removed.

Thinking of dipping into reserves (serious dough) to get a C-6 driver. My need is for speed. It's my last vice!

When I gave the rear to Scott at Unitrax Mike, he said it would probably not be until Monday that they would get around to tearing it apart. I won't know the status until then.

In the meantime, visit my site and you'll see that I'm busy cleaning everything up down under there. I'm not even through tearing it apart yet - I'm gonna do the knuckle assemblies too. :cool

I hope you're as pleased with Unitrax as I have been. I kind of expected you to go with Tom. I chatted briefly with him, and he was all business; a bit curt but okay. He just didn't seem to have a great alternative for me at the time, but seemed to know his stuff.

WhalePirot said:
I hope you're as pleased with Unitrax as I have been. I kind of expected you to go with Tom.
Gotta save money where I can Mike. Tom's would have been a lot more from what I could tell. Plus, after a little Internet research, I found that Unitrax has a pretty good reputation for quality as well as cost. ;)

Nice 'save' on the Guldstrand gear thing, Ken. Doubtful any stock box could take the punishment from all that power, 44 or not. Likely, the damage was done before you heard the whine, as I expect them to tell you.

Wade King, at Drivelines, Inc. is local and the son of Jerry, the Unitrax owner. He does all the drive/half shafts and claimed I didn't need to spend the bucks on replacement steel halfshafts I had asked him about. He's done a few jobs for me, including the redo for our 735iL's d/s at 150k, and balancing the Vette shafts when the Dana rear was out. It took a special technique to do the Bimmer properly (most shops just eliminate the center CV), but he gave me 3 reasons to keep it as designed.

Drivelines, Inc. 6 McLarenSt., Ste. M, lake Forest, CA 800-963-7483

Some clean spindle assemblies ...

After spending hours cleaning the knuckle assemblies, I'm beginning to wonder if it really made a difference. I took a lot of dirt and grease off but I can't really see much of an improvement. I guess I'll just have to take satisfaction in knowing that I cleaned it.​

DSCF0001.JPG

To see more pictures of today's work, click HERE. :v

Ken, U have time. Maybe some Mother's polish on those mothers!

I trust you'll Locktite all the bolts back there?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom