Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Keys?

GreenFields

Corvette
1966 427 Roadster
Hi guys,

When I bought my C2, she came with 4 keys (2 that match and 2 others).

The actual key fobs are from a later Corvette/GM-product (I'd say circa 70's - the rectangle shaped ones).

I've bought original shape key blanks (2 octagon topped and 2 pear shaped) and wondered if someone could confirm which shape should be used for which function.

My understanding is that the octagon was the primary key (ignition and door?) and the pear was for the trunk. Is this correct?

I think the keys I have may have been mixed up over the years through lock changes, etc, as the ignition key doesn't seem to want to lock the door.

These are the key shapes I'm talking about: -

CL220CL221.JPG

When I took the drivers seat out to install new carpet, 6 years ago, there was a new set of keys on a dealers key ring. 67Heaven is correct on the shapes.:pat

Hey! You got a trunk in your C2??? ;)

Hadn't had my coffee yet... Doh! What was I thinking! :duh

As it stands - one key works for the ignition, one for the passenger door and the 3rd one seems to be a dud!

Another job for the winter! My guess is the locks / ignition have been swapped out at some point.

Someone has changed one or more of the ignition and/or door cylinders over the years, the same key should operate in all three cylinders. You can buy a matched set of cylinders and keys at most of the aftermarket suppliers.

:beer

Someone has changed one or more of the ignition and/or door cylinders over the years, the same key should operate in all three cylinders. You can buy a matched set of cylinders and keys at most of the aftermarket suppliers.

:beer

Thanks Ron... it is on my 'winter-to-do' list :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom