Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Knock-Off Problem??

get a KO spinner wrench, and follow the directions, you won't have any problems (unless you have a poor fit between the adapter and the wheel) ...... and IMO, the best thing to do with the pins is toss them :)

Get a Set Of Daytons

NICE wheels John Z. Those Halibrands are the only other wheel that I would consider for my 62 instead of the Dayton knock-offs. I use them on all the race cars, but the magnesium turns gray and are a constant polish problem. Probably the principal reason I don`t have them now. The Daytons because of all the spokes are somewhat of a pain but much easier to clean. How do you keep the shine on them or are they aluminum?.
JohnZ said:
It's essential to use anti-seize on the adapter/spinner threads, and on the conical spinner/wheel mating surface; without it, the threads tend to gall at high torque, and most of the effort you put into wailing on the spinner is wasted overcoming thread friction and mating surface friction. "Torque" doesn't keep them on - clamping force keeps them on, and you can't develop maximum clamping force with torque on the spinner unless the friction surfaces (threads and mating surface) are lubricated so they move relative to each other as you apply torque to the spinner. I always used a 4# shot-filled dead-blow plastic-coated hammer, and beat hell out of them; never had any loosen up (and marked them with a Sharpie for quick visual checks).

The genuine Halibrands on my Grand Sport were the same way, except they have longer ears on the spinners and are easier to wail on; I raced the car, so I added stainless safety wire from the end of the spinner to the spider of the wheel with a little slack built in for quick visual checks - if the wire was straight, they had backed off a little; but they never did - always used anti-seize on the threads and conical mating surfaces, never had one of the Halibrands loosen up either.

pubimage.asp

:Steer
:D
5583ranch4a.jpg

They're aluminum; won't turn gray, and don't weaken with age; 40-year-old magnesium wheels are pretty scary.
:beer

I have repos on my 66 and have the same problem if the spinner caps come off. I solved it by giving the spinner a small knock with the hammer after the pin is inserted. It puts enough pressure on teh pin to hold it in under all conditions. To remove the pin, give it a knock in the other direction and then remove it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom