Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Knockoffs wheels

fstblk66

Corvette
66 coupe,72 vert,
I currently have a set of reproduction Knockoffs installed on my car. My wheels have the safety pins that is inserted just under the center caps. I was told that the original Knockoffs did not have any safety pins when first introduced in the 60's. I would appreciate if someone would advise if I have to constantly check the tightness of my wheels even thou I have safety pins. Thanks in advance

not if the pins are inserted correctly, all the way down into the hole...if memory serves me correctly, there are two different sets of half circles that line up and you should make sure that the correct holes have lined up..how to tell? take the spinners off sometimes, you can check just by just shining a shop light down the hole with the pin removed if you know what to look for...you'll have to whack the spinner in the opposite direction to release the pressure on the pin to remove it

if that's too much of a task, mark the wheel and the spinner with a sharpie and check the alignment from time to time

in general, i think it's worth the effort to pull the wheels anyway so that you can get familiar with what you have....the major problem is owners just whack the hell out of the wheels to get the pins set and they gall the spinner onto the hub....you should apply antisieze grease when installing the spinners and if not, it will take a few days of soaking with WD40 and major league pounding with a dead blow hammer or a lead hammer to free up a wheel

also, if your wheels are loose, you will hear them knock and it's time to stop RIGHT NOW and fix the problem

good luck

There is a down load some where on how to properly install the knock offs. BarryK may bee.

Anyways some times it best to have some one (who has had there on and off a car they have owned for a couple of years) show you how to remove and reinstall them. You really have to whack them hard. And let me telly you its kinda nerve wracking the first time you start to swing that lead hammer just missing the quarter panel.

....also, call any of the companies that sell KO's and they will send you a fax version of the installation/maintenance instructions....seems as though the lawyers call the shots on that one

Yup, VNV's got the goods.

BTW, toss the aluminum (or even worse, SS) pins and use roll pins. MUCH easier to remove.

knock-offs--more info

FYI---in addition to the corvette america directions, there is an excellent article in the MARCH 2005 issue of Corvette Enthusiast on Knock-offs that speaks to many different aspects of the wheels, including installation and such things as NOT using any anti-seize in the threads--enjoy it If you can't get it, let me know I may be able to fax it.

FYI---in addition to the corvette america directions, there is an excellent article in the MARCH 2005 issue of Corvette Enthusiast on Knock-offs that speaks to many different aspects of the wheels, including installation and such things as NOT using any anti-seize in the threads--enjoy it If you can't get it, let me know I may be able to fax it.

Are you SURE it's in "Corvette Enthusiast"? I have that issue, and it's not there. :confused

Well unfortunately I have just completed installing new spinners, caps and pins using an anti seize lubercant on the threads. Many of the post I have read on this topic suggested using an anti seize upon re-installation also this is how I ruined the old spinners (spinners would not come off, had to really do some hardcore whacking). Well took the first test drive today upon completion the sharpie pen marks were lined up percisley how I marked them. I will continue to re-check prior to any driving, this will become a pre drive ritual.

Corevtte Enthusiast article

Sorry--- I doubled checked. The article is in the MARCH 2006 ISSUE. Interestingly, the magazine cover---which has a large picture of a yellow 1973 shark fender (and much more of the car also) says MARCH 2005 (which is what I went by) but the magazine inside says 2006. Interesting typo. Anyway, I hope it helps you. I have had knock-offs on my 1966 for seven years and had them all off at one time or another. I put redlines on 1.5 years ago and drove all last year with no problem. good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom