Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Knowledgebase Update: Oil Leaks Between Intake Manifold and Engine Block

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
HAHA AWESOME!
I actually have a leak there. its small. but will get deadly if i dont act soon!

save the wave!

I had leaks at the china wall after changing out the gasket 2 or 3 times I was getting very upset always changing it out.

Others on the fourm said Dont use the end rubber gaskets on the china wall just RTV let sit over night before running the motor I did what they said after this Solved my oil leaks.

I uses to be in a hurry to get things up and running and waited 2 hours then drove the car Dont do it let it sit over night.

Others on the fourm said Dont use the end rubber gaskets on the chia wall just RTV let sit over night before running the motor I did what they said after this Solved my oil leaks.

I uses to be in a hurry to get things up and running and waited 2 hours then drove the car Dont do it let it sit over night.

When I have my '92 a long time ago, the dealership did just that to solve my oil leaks.

After I did mine the first time it started to leak again. When I bought the second gasket the clerk told me to put the rtv on the block and let it set for a couple of hours so it would be partially cured when I set the manifold onto it and not to move it after that. He then advised that I start the bolts and let the manifold set on top of the rtv for a while before tightening the bolts down. After following his suggestion the leak was stopped and has not come back in three years. After reading what others did with the over night set I think this was basically the same thing. It appears that by waiting for the rtv to cure and not rushing in and trying to get it all done in one afternoon makes the rtv become better able to fill the voids between the mating surfaces.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom