Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Kumho Ecsta ASX

ddahlgren

Corvette
91 Dark Green Coupe
Has anyone tried these great reviw on the tire rack low buck so if life of them an issue how do they work out in a mile per bucks spent??

I've been using them for years now and Love em. Quite,Great Wet & Dry Traction and will wear at least 50K Miles. (420 UTQT Rating)

Absolutely the Best Bang for the Buck.

My 2 Cents

How is the hadeling working can they handle reasonable g forces??

How is the hadeling working can they handle reasonable g forces??

I've never raced them. You want tires for Autocrossing or something?

I believe a different Kuhmo Model would be better for Racing than the ASX All Season.

Im on my second set. I love the handling - they warn me by "talking" to me (squealing) when they just start to lose it - the Goodyears I had before srmained silent until the llet loose, not user friendly.

I have these on all my cars. Simply the best for the money. Great in dry, wet, and snow (not the Vette on snow however).

I don't want to race on them and though all season a good choice for my location in the northeast. I I had to wait for a 60 degree day with no rain I might het to go for a ride a handfull of days.. I do not have any toys that I don't get to play with if you know what i mean. I want to maximize seat time and not worry if the weather changes no fun in that for me. I do want a grippy tire that is reasonable quiet and if one gets worn out or hurt in some way it is not a big deal. I also don't want to have to drive carefully so I don't scuff the tread off the tires because of cost and turn the Corvette into a 4 door sedan..LOL..

Are those the run flats? If not, has anybody tried the Kumho run flats?

I kind of know where you're coming from, junkie, but I've had two flats in these c5's and it was kind of nice to keep going until I had them fixed. It's not a lot of fun having a flat in the middle of the Nevada desert with no cell phone service.

I kind of know where you're coming from, junkie, but I've had two flats in these c5's and it was kind of nice to keep going until I had them fixed. It's not a lot of fun having a flat in the middle of the Nevada desert with no cell phone service.
Well,I had 4 flats with the Over Priced,Over Rated Run craps!!:D:D:D
And then got Gouged $30-$45 to repair them buy a Qualified RunCrap facility,Hell I only paid $44.00 to have the Kumhos Mounted and Road Force Balanced!Bought a Z06 tire repair kit with compressor that fits in the bigger compartment in the back,added a mushroom radial tire plug gun and plugs and have been all over this Beautiful Country and never had to use them in over 45,000 miles now!!!
:thumb:thumb:thumb
I've put 2 sets on the wifes 4X4 Jimmy,(shes a Agency RN and Real Estate Broker,Drives 35-40,000 a year!!)Never a Flat,and she does take it to the Boonies selling Mountain Land!!We put Kumho Road Ventures on my daughters Z-71 and she ran over a piece of steel and gouged the sidewall out on I-85 after about 11,000 miles,Called Tire Rack and they had 1 here from Atlanta the next day!!We took photos of tire with a tread depth gauge and the Road Hazard took care of it,including Mount,Balance and most of Shipping!!:thumb (We had to pay extra for next day!!) $38.00 well spent at purchase!!!!:D:D:D

Service after the Sale,Thats what I'm talking about!!Something that rarely happens in America now days!!! Tire Rack and Kumho has my Vote!!!:upthumbs

Well I have been sold on them time to call the tire rack today.. Hey on another note can you claim your Vette as a dependant with IRS?? LOL..

One more thing comes to mind the door sticker missing off my car.. It has 275/40/17 on all 4 corners is the the standard setup from the factory for a 91 coupe?? Currently I am running 30 psi in them with no guidline other than it rides well and the sidewalls look right.. On another note when I have the tires changed i am getting a 4 wheel alignment any suggestions on anything other than the stock limits for good handling and straight tracking on uneven pavement we have lots of that in the northeast..
Dave

One more thing comes to mind the door sticker missing off my car.. It has 275/40/17 on all 4 corners is the the standard setup from the factory for a 91 coupe?? Currently I am running 30 psi in them with no guidline other than it rides well and the sidewalls look right.. On another note when I have the tires changed i am getting a 4 wheel alignment any suggestions on anything other than the stock limits for good handling and straight tracking on uneven pavement we have lots of that in the northeast..
Dave
30 lb Everyday driveing is factory specs,35 lb for aggressive driving is factory specs!!
You'll get a little better tire ware if you run 33-34 lb but a little harsher ride!!Yes,275/40/17 is the correct size for a 91 coupe!!

I set alignment up to try to maximize tire life,but it will make the car a Handful above 135-140 MPH!!:L:L:L

My C4 Settings

Lt Front 0 camber,5.9 + caster Rt Front 0 camber,6.0-6.2 + caster (Depending on Crown of Roads in the area!!) More Crown,More Rt front lead!!:thumb
1/32 toe in Front

Lt Rear 0 camber Rt Rear 0 camber
3/32 toe in

Happy Motoring!!:thumb

Where would you set it for performance driving and HS Stability? I will bring it to a race car shop to have tires mounted and alignment done so if outside factory specs no problem...:D I am in the race car biz so access to them no problem and they can easily do 4 whell alignment thrust angles all that with latest of laser stuff.. I want stable hanling and thanks for the tip on the crown in the road though it wanders all over the place. The interstae pretty flat town roads big crowns and 30 mph speed limits.. 65 to 75 on interstae average..
Dave

Where would you set it for performance driving and HS Stability? I will bring it to a race car shop to have tires mounted and alignment done so if outside factory specs no problem...:D I am in the race car biz so access to them no problem and they can easily do 4 whell alignment thrust angles all that with latest of laser stuff.. I want stable hanling and thanks for the tip on the crown in the road though it wanders all over the place. The interstae pretty flat town roads big crowns and 30 mph speed limits.. 65 to 75 on interstae average..
Dave
I'd add 1 deg + caster to my above settings,Set the camber all the way around at .3 Negative Camber,front toe at 1/16 in,rear toe at 1/8 in and run 35 lb tire pressure,Drive it and see how it feels and go from there!!:thumb
And Yes,it will make it wander a little at slower speeds and ware more on the insides of the tires!!:beer

I like them, used them on a PCA drivers' education and held pretty decently. I don't know about price value as they came with the car, but I would buy again.

How do you guys find these tires for touring or daily driving........are they loud or do they whine??
RG

I've had them on the car now for about 3 months and really like them. The original Goodyears had 31,000 miles on them when I bought the car and of course needed replacement. I'm glad I got the Kumbo as they are much quieter then the GY and handle really well. For the price, you can't beat them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom