Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L48 or L82? Here are the numbers...

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
Brief history of my car... I bought it used. I'm the 4th owner. The car has dual-snorkle air-intake indicative of the L82 engine. The L48 only had the single air-intake. So then I check the VIN. According to this 1980 specs on this site, the 5th digit represents the engine. Mine is an "8", meaning L48. So now I'm wondering...did someone do an entire engine swap and air-intake system? Or did they just go through the trouble of putting in everything for dual-intake for whatever reason on an L48?

So the engine is out (as it has been for quite some time now), and I finally got around to checking the numbers on the engine. Here's what I have

On the block: 43GM 14810207
On the intake manifold: 14014432
Upside down near the dipstick: 207

You can view the actual numbers here: http://photos.yahoo.com/thethingsido

I went and looked at your photos. Didn't the L82 come with finned valve covers? (I'm pretty sure it did in other years.)

By the way, it's one of my nightmares that the L82 I bought is actually an L48 -- occasionally I go check the VIN again just to be sure...

I know that it had aluminum covers in the 78 Collector Ed. Don't know about the other years. That's why I was hoping someone could tell by the casting number on the block or manifold.

Of course, for VIN identification, the difference is a 6 or an 8. Clever!...so after 20+ years of sun, moisture, and surface rust, it's just so EASY to tell the difference between a 6 and an 8! :D

The numbers you need are the ones on the stamp pad, a machined surface on the block in front of the passanger side head. One will look like V0321CTD and the other 1Z8499999. Post those and we can tell you what you have.

tom...

"...machined surface on the block in front of the passanger side head..."

Ummm...is this behind the water pump that you refer? Or somewhere near the spark plugs? I'm looking at hi-res pics of the ones I posted. I don't see where the numbers would be. I would think a string of numbers that long would be a bit more noticeable.

Thats a nice looking vette. Just had to compliment you on it.

Frank

Evolution1980 said:
is this behind the water pump that you refer? Or somewhere near the spark plugs? I'm looking at hi-res pics of the ones I posted. I don't see where the numbers would be. I would think a string of numbers that long would be a bit more noticeable.

In front, would be an extension of the block's "deck", up by the water pump. But if engine has been rebuilt and decked then the numbers are more then likely gone.

Check here http://www.mortec.com/location.htm for more on numbers and their location.

tom...

V10O1ZAK
1AS400826

My gut is telling me it's not an L82 engine... :r
Not that I'm all that sad really...I mean, I'm liking my ZZ4 much better :D

Evolution1980 said:
V10O1ZAK
1AS400826

My gut is telling me it's not an L82 engine... :r
Not that I'm all that sad really...I mean, I'm liking my ZZ4 much better :D
ZAK is the code for an 80 Vette L48 engine with automatic trans. Is the last six of your VIN 400826? If so, then it is original.

tom...

Thanks for clearing this up for me! I appreciate it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom