Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L82 oil pan

LanceB

Corvette
My oil pan is pretty dented up so I was going to replace it. The 77 is an L-82, however I have never been able to verify the engine block ID and suspect it may not be the original L-82 engine. It does have the correct L82 ID on the carb, (and some other components) and the VIN # verifies it is an L82. I was thinking if it isn't the original engine, then I don't need to pay extra for the L82 oil pan, but on the other hand if the L82 oil pan does fit this block, then I want to go with what originally came on the vehicle. Anyone have any insight on this?

The difference between the L82 and L48 oil pans is in the baffling. The L82 pan has less because it has a main cap mounted baffle.
I've had 3 L82 pans on my bench the last year. All 3 had a sump baffle, but only 2 had side scrapers.
I'll post a pic of the insides if you want.
Some of the catalogs I've seen list L82 pans a little cheaper than the L48 pan, which is how it SHOULD be as there's less to them!

How will I know if it requires an L82 oil pan? I assume I should just take the current one off and see what I really got before I order anything...I don't suppose worst case a L48 oil pan would work?

This is the baffle on the bottom of the L82. I would think, I'm not sure, that it will interfere with an L48 pan.
drainplug.jpg

Unfortunately no numbers are stamped on the pad (like my 81 has). It is my brothers 77 we have been doing minor restoration and maintenance. He got it for a good price and it looks and runs great (crushes my 81 unfortunately). I have verified the carb VIN number and the frame VIN number are for an L82, but I can't find an engine code/VIN on the engine block anywhere. The owner told him he didn't think it was the original engine, but I still would like to verify where the engine is from. I got under it with a flash light and dereaser looking for numbers to no avail. I was hoping to be able to order the pan and have it changed out in a day, but it looks like I need to go in reverse on this job. Can I show pics of the pan while it is still attached to be able to tell what kind of pan I need?

correction: I meant to say the "prior" owner told him the engine wasn't original. Of course my brother just put it in my garage about 5 years ago and so it looks like I own two Vettes. He rarely drives it and probably knows by leaving it at my house I will just fix things for him and send him the bill. The wife doesn't really understand why she doesn't have a spot in the garage but oh well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom