Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L82 / TPI Video

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
I've posted a lot about my project as I've gone from barn find to back on the street, and I'd like to share some short clips. These are very short- only 4-6 seconds.

The first is some light revving. I've only put the pedal down through about 3500 RPM-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3XzdUE8678

The second is a 3-2 downshift and acceleration from around 30-35mph through 50-60 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JyHG9HyatQ

Jane Ann- here is the pic I promised I'd post as soon as the weather was better:

attachment.php

:upthumbs Johnny :upthumbs

Sounds like it could do some damage :lou

Have you seen the "New" Corvette Video site???
www.vettetube.com

I'd say your 2 video's qualify ;)

Nice looking 82, Silver is a great color for an 80 ~ 82 :dance the curves seem to come out and it is even sexier :eek:

Bud

Sounds like it could do some damage :lou

Thanks Bud! I'm really happy to be behind the wheel again instead as opposed to being under the hood.:L

I decided to do something I've always wanted to do- my own version of the Miami Vice opening credits....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wr1BA7wCQQ

This sure was a lot of fun to make!
:cool

DarkShark,

I really dig what you've done with her. I hope someday, when the funds are there, my '81 will turn out like yours! If you don't mind me asking, could I have a few more details on the TPI? Cost? Performance increase? Gas mileage? Thanks.

-Tatortot

DarkShark,

I really dig what you've done with her. I hope someday, when the funds are there, my '81 will turn out like yours! If you don't mind me asking, could I have a few more details on the TPI? Cost? Performance increase? Gas mileage? Thanks.

-Tatortot

Thanks for the compliments!

Ebay helped significantly with the cost. I pieced the TPI together over a two year time frame. I picked up the intake, fuel rails, plenum, TB, and runners for $120. Then the harnes for $200. I stumbled upon the SLP runners- they were 1/3 polished (on one side) and the guy couldn't get more than $60 for them. The injectors were a matched set for $100. ECM- $60, chip $100, sensors and fuel pump were around $250. I think I got out for under $1,000 total... over the course of a two year aquisiton period.

Performace- is simply great. She starts up every time the key is twisted forward. With the tuning, I think she's more powerful than the carbed motor. If for no other reason... it is simply dead reliable with the same consistant level of power.

I would guess that I am running at a 2mpg improvement with gas. That alone is NOT worth it for the total cost in the short run... but at $3.29 a gallon, I esimate that I'd save maybe $1000 in gas over the course of two years. EFI is a long term solution and takes a while to balance the cost out.

I'm a big proponent for EFI swaps and always have been. Otherwise, if you want objectivity... you'll need to find someone who hates their EFI swap and ask why. This is the second TPI swap I've done and I'm just as happy as with the first.

I remember the other one you did, it was on a '78 wasn't it? It sounds like for only $1,000 the improvements you've listed are excellent! Some of those C5 guys pay $400 for just an airbox! :rotfl Again, it looks great!

-Tatortot

Just curious how the EFI system responded to the low output 80 or so amp alternator. I did a serpentine belt conversion on my 82 vette and used a camaro 104 amp alternator and it really seemed to help the cross-fire injection respond better, but I also added dual electric fans and got it to thermostatically maintain around 205 degrees so it could have been a combination of more amps and hotter running engine.

But now my CFI doesn't have the burbling sound out the exhaust it has a nice crisp sound to it. seems to have alot better off idle response as well doesn't do the CFI dogginess power from a start.

fuek pump

Will a 1982 in tank fuel pump work for the tpi set up?

sorry misread your post ... A 1982 sending unit will run a TPI system however the crossfire fuel pump does not supply enough pressure to run TPI. but all you have to do is put a TPI pump in place of the stock 82 pump.

Thanks for the help topless82. I had just about given up hope of ever getting a reply.:beer
tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom