Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L98 intake base-plate

boomdriver

Corvette
87 z-51
question:

is there a difference in '86 intake bases compared to later L98's?

Does the intake for the iron head fit the aluminum heads? only 86? other yrs?

I ask because I have opportunity to buy a complete intake, base, runners and plenum off an 86. Do not know if it came from iron heads or aluminum.

IF it will fit my 87 alum head, I was going to have it polished outside and ported inside.

My current intake is ported but not polished outside and I do not want to "down" the car for several days/weeks while the current intake gets polished.

I believe that if it came off an 86 alum or cast iron, it will in fact fit the later alum heads, but not later cast iron heads.

Only differences in TPI bases are
Base from cast iron head ( either Vette or F-Body ) doesn't have provision for the EGR riser pipe at rear ( used the exh riser in the heads ) that was used on
Vette Alum heads. Alum head base also has rear coolant bleed port
After '87 the two center bolts on the cast iron (F-Body ) heads are at a different angle.(intake holes easily redrilled to suit early angle )

Vettebase.jpg

A local has an '88 F-body L98 complete for $400, which I imagine he might part out just in case.

If it's compatible, chat him up - 252 717 9783, and chisel him down on the $$. I can go eyeball the stuff and get it moving if you strike a deal...

edit:
Oops - oz beat me to the post...

Edelbrock Intake

On my Edelbrock Hi Flo Intake base has 2 bolt patterns on it one for the Iron heads and for the Aluminum Center bolt heads.

The bolt holes are elongated where it bolts to the heads.

What are you up to Bomdriver long time no talk to. :w

Picture if you can see it the middle 2 bolt holes are enlongated I guess there 2 diffrent angles for the bolts there not much diffrence by a couple degrees.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3860/?rtype=10

On my Edelbrock Hi Flo Intake base has 2 bolt patterns on it one for the Iron heads and for the Aluminum Center bolt heads.

The bolt holes are elongated where it bolts to the heads.

What are you up to Bomdriver long time no talk to. :w

Not much Marv, hows that motor working out?

I've been focused on learning the fine art of metal polishing. Did a set of sawblade rims with great results and now looking to do other parts of the car. I saw a polished TPI at a store in Phoenix, and have been wantin one every since. Now that I know how to polish cast aluminum, I'm game for doing a manifold. The insides the easy part...hardest thing there is equalizing volumes in runners. The outside...lots of tiny corners and little spots that ALL have to be of equal shine or the piece looks like the bottom of the bird cage..

I found a guy with a whole TPI that I can get for $150. Rails, everything. If its got the right EGR as Vetteoz (thanks BTW) noted, it's mine and I've got my winter project !

Schrade,
the whole enchilada has been on my mind. I'm currently looking to move and a good shop space (that I don;t have now) is the major consideration so I can take a motor and tear it apart and rebuild casually and drop it in when its ready. That way I can still run the car and take my time. When looking at houses, where my bolts sleep is more important than where my nuts do....meaning, the garage is everything.

Thanks for the reply, everybody !
I appreciate it:beer

Ok It almost there but as normal muphies law what can go wrong enough said.
The trans was rebuilt by a shop this time stuck in the car it will not shift so I put on a Uhaul car tralior towed the car down to them it been down there going on 2 weeks now it should be done by the weekend.

Well when I loaded the car on the car tralior I notice a Oil leak Ya just my Luck it the rear main seal Oh what fun, When we got to the the trans shop and backing the car off the tralior the ramp fell off the rear tires were on the ground the right front tire was hanging in the air the car was resting on the front bumber tore off my semi new rubber air damm.

So when the car comes home with any luck this weekend back on jackstands and try to replace the rear mail seal with the motor in the car.

The Trans shop has driven the car more with the new motor in it than have so far.

Ya It almost there Next month I am going to pull the rearend out of the car and rebuild it new bearings seal and posi clucth pack half shat U-Joints, all new wheel bearings and bushings front and rear new Koni Shocks.

Almost have the car completly rebuild .

Like I said end of next years It will be a daily driver for a year or so.

I be sellling my Truck buying the wife a car with the money we still we have her 2001 Dodge Ram 25000 with the viper V-10 in it if I need a truck to haul parts.

I was going to have it polished outside and ported inside.
Whoever is going to port it... are they going to siamese the intake base and plenum? This actually helps higher RPM breathing somewhat. Nothing huge, but it helps.

CG

Whoever is going to port it... are they going to siamese the intake base and plenum? This actually helps higher RPM breathing somewhat. Nothing huge, but it helps.

CG
yeah, I have a pattern around here somewhere....

It going to get bigger runners with the runner plates bored out, manifold port try to match, and then the plate runners i'll rotary file the rough, then blow sand thru to smooth, then polish with rotary tools inside. Might just go ahead and gouge out this stock plenum as well and polish it so when it comes time to do the swap, the whole thing can be moved over and be better.

the whole enchilada has been on my mind. I'm currently looking to move and a good shop space (that I don;t have now) is the major consideration so I can take a motor and tear it apart and rebuild casually and drop it in when its ready. That way I can still run the car and take my time. When looking at houses, where my bolts sleep is more important than where my nuts do....meaning, the garage is everything.

Thanks for the reply, everybody !
I appreciate it:beer

Same situation here. Exact same, headed for KS from NC soon. With eyes on good real estate in the garage YUP. No more dust on my spic n span spotless sterile parts noPe.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom