Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L98 intake...bunch of questions

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
So I went and got a complete L98 intake unit today. It was from what they remebered to be an 88 camaro. So my first question is are they different from the ones in the vettes? I did notice that the intake manifold (bottom half) was a bit more rough and not so smooth looking as the one that was on my 86 vette. There was alos a few other things different.... the vette had a vacuum port with a gray metal tube bolted to it (on the driver side of the manifold between the two runners) this is not on the camaro intake. and it also has a plastic cover for the distributor. I thought the one on my vette was a pot metal material or some cheap metal.

Next, I want to put this on my 80 vette. So if i buy a 40-45 lb electric fuel pump for the firewall, will i be able to hook this right to the fuel rail? cause the TPI has a regulator.

Then what would be the best option for the return line? and can i block off the EGR on this intake?

And finally, do they make a nice wiring harness that i can just plug and play?
I have the computer but no harnesses. I really don't want to rip the wiring out of a camaro and try splicing it.

Im sure i will have a bunch more questions but this will get me started.
thanx guys for any help.

OK so i just found in the JEgs catalog a stand alone harness (GM 1986-1992 TPI) for $359. Is this the type of unit I need? And i would asume all i have to do is hook up a lead to the fuse box. and a ground. Everything else would be independant of the rest of the car right? thats what stand alone means i take it.

OK so i just found in the Jegs catalog a stand alone harness (GM 1986-1992 TPI) for $359. Is this the type of unit I need? And i would assume all i have to do is hook up a lead to the fuse box. and a ground. Everything else would be independent of the rest of the car right? thats what stand alone means i take it.

Sounds like you are doing a swap...

DSCF0264.jpg

You'll need a lot more than what you listed above.

For starters, you'll need to check your fuel rail PN to ensure it corresponds to a 350. If it is for a 305, you'll have issues with the pressure. I'd suggest an adjustable FPR anyways.

Next, you'll need to make sure you have 22lb injectors. 305s came with 19lb units. You can use them on a 350- but you'll need to crank up the pressure.

As for fuel pumps- mount your either in the tank or next to / below the tank. Mounting it on the fire wall will encourage premature failure due to heat. A proper fuel pump will flow about 120gph for TPI. Expect to pay about $100.

You'll need to upgrade the fuel lines from the frame to the rail. Unless you have rubber hose and clamps rated for EFI pressure- you'll risk a mess and possibly fire.

A custom radiator hose will come in handy. Use paper towel tubes and tape to create a mock-up. Then, take your mock-up to the auto parts store and start matching.

You'll need a custom chip and a multi-port ECM. The two together will run you about $200.

Unless the intake came off a running car with all the sensors, you'll need to go out and buy them. MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, knock, oil pressure switch, VSS (depends on emission compliance requirements) IAT, and O2. Those alone will cost about $200 for the lot- maybe more.

You'll need a TPI throttle cable. It is longer than a standard carb throttle cable. Same goes for a kick-down if you have a TH350 or 700R4.

If you have a 700R4... you'll need a brake switch and required parts for lock-up if it equipped with that feature.

I've done the TPI swap twice. If you have any questions- feel free to PM me. Hope my $.02 helps!

sweet thanx for the info.
I figured there would be a lot of stuff i need, but I'm mostly concerned about the major things. the kind off stuff that would hang me up.

dark shark, im gunna send you a PM

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom