Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L98 Superchargers?

Welcome To The Corvette Action Center ratorto!

I can't recall at the moment anyone ever posting such a set-up here, but my old L-98 now has a Vortech supercharger on it and the owner is quite satisfied. It's got tire-shredding torque! :bu

I'd have to check with Will, my mechanic. He rebuilt my old L-98 and installed the supercharger, and it went into a '90 (?) Camaro. I'll see him tomorrow.

_ken

Will do. :upthumbs

By the way, I moved your other post about the :CAC to the "Introductions" forum, where it will be better suited. ;)

_ken :w

Thanks for moving my other post. Being new I am haveing a few issues with site navigation. Any place for me to go for navigation info?

Unless we can find the box, which is doubtful, all I can tell you is that it is the Vortech system designed for the small block (305/350) in Camaros and Corvettes. Will isn't even sure how much boost it delivers but I would imagine it to be around 4-5 pounds. ;shrug

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

_ken

Ken,
I contacted "Superchargersonline" and they offer a unit made by Procharger for 85-91 Corvetters TPI 8/10/12 PSI. Their price is $3899. Not cheap, but what is, these days.
Thanks for your help. I plan to save up some dough and go for it.
I hope your other interested readers keep us posted on this subject, as I will.

Paxton on an 88 here.

Why not turbocharging?

Why don't you try to use a turbocharger (or twin)? Superchargers compress the air using the mechanical power of the engine while turbochargers using the exhaust waste gases to create pressurized air so the overall efficiency of the engine will be higher (altough the turbocharger raises the backpressure of the exhaust system, it's still much more efficient than the supercharger). Btw, building turbochargers will require more accessories depending of the type of the turbo (intercooler - not neccessary but stronly adviced, water and/or oil lines) but using a supercharger will require to modify the location of the belt driven accessories (alternator or even the AIR pump location). I think two smaller unit would fit under the hood, right above the valve covers...

Gábor

It's an age-old debate...

The pros of Superchargers:
  • Superchargers are much easier to install on most vehicles.
  • Mechanical driven meaning when you hit the gas you get the automatic response.

The downside of Superchargers:
  • Belt driven meaning it can take power away from luxuries such as A/C power steering.

The pros of Turbochargers:
  • Turbochargers are more efficient compared to superchargers because they use the energy going out the exhaust.

The downside of Turbochargers:
  • Installation can be very difficult and time consuming.
  • Intercoolers are often needed to keep temperatures down.
  • "Turbo Lag" is an issue.

A Google search turned up this: Turbocharging vs. Supercharging :CAC

Turbo Lag

The "turbo lag" can be even an advance! If your turbo reach it's full boost just at 2500-3000 rpm, your mileage will be close to the nominal under that rpm... so you can cruise with very good mileage at 1800-2000 rpm, but when you step on the accelerator....

Gábor

Procharger 600 Picture

Here is a picture of a very nice Procharger 600B installation on an 88 Corvette. Obviously the air intake location is not optimum, as the engine will be inducting air that has just been heated by the left exhaust manifold.

This hot air intake problem could probably be solved by relocating the battery to inside the passenger compartment and locating the intake air filter down in the battery box area.

I test drove this car at Pomona CA in July 2002. At that time it was for sale for $16K, which I thought was a fair price for a low mileage supercharged L98 Corvette in very nice condition. The car had an automatic, which kept me from buying it. It ran very strong, however, and would spin the tires on each gear change under hard acceleration. It had no hesitation or driveability problems whatsoever.

Whether it would overheat in traffic due to the air intake, I don't know...

As others noted previously, the underhood plumbing problems are greatly reduced with a supercharger installation vs a turbocharger installation. Turbochargers are more efficient and can make more power but they use higher boost, generate more heat, and require an intercooler in an already overcrowded engine compartment.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom