Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Late model transmission swap

vettl83

Corvette
91 L98 Quasar Blue, 91 ZR1 Red, 07 AO Coupe
A buddy of mine has a BB 69 Vette and is looking to change out his four speed to a later model five or six speed. The question is will a M-60 six speed out of thr 92-96 Camaros bolt up? We know converting to the ZF is a hassel. Any suggestions on the best way to go would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks in advance 84 CF 91 ZR-1

It will bolt up, but the shift linkage ends of in an odd location requiring mods to the center console.

The Richmond Six is the way to go for near direct bolt up application.

I would not fool around with a ZF as they require the dual mass flywheel to keep them quiet, and again the shifter is not in the best possible location.

Thanks 69MyWay, it sounds like the Richmond is the way to go. The BB and Muncie combo w/3:55 gears seem to hit a brick wall at 140 mph. My buddy can't stand it when the ZR-1 blows by him at 140 mph. Thanks again

Hey Chris

Keep us posted on that T-56 tranny swap. Those things can be expensive but I got to drive a firebird formual and at 70 it was doing just under 2K rpm, at least pretty close.

I was debating wether to go with a T-56 or a TKO 5 spd. The TKO is rated at 525ftlbs. Not to sure about the T-56 there are guys running over 500hp/500ftlbs with these things and the problem are the synchros (speedshifting) and the fork on it.

Another question, where is there a good websource or book where I can find info on a mechanical clutch and hydraulic clutches and how they work. Hydraulic seems a lot better (hence my vette vs Firbird) and easier on the foot. I would like to convert but don't know much about the details and what is required for the swap.

Frank

Frank,

As you know I had some real trouble out of my hydraulic clutch conversion. Turns out, that was all to do with the QM clutch. Why, I don't know. I have mailed it back to QM and am waiting on a response. In the mean time, the LUK I installed is working fine.

Here are some pics that detail what you need to do to the firewall and pedals. I appologize for them being small and hard to read.

Here is a pic of the 1985 full size chevy truck master cylinder attached to the firewall. It goes directly through the stock location with larger holes drilled on each side to bolt it into place, and a hand made backing plate to keep it from pushing through the firewall.

This is what it looks like on the pedal side of things.

Notice the aluminum backing plate. It is a simple piece I made in about five minutes.

Notice the actuator clutch m/c rod. I took the stock truck rod, cut the clevis end off, threaded it, and screwed on a ball stud from Napa that hooks into the pedal and articulates the pedal action to the master cylinder. The start/neutral saftey switch is still in place and works in a stock manner.

In this pic, you can see the hydraulic clutch resevior tucked away in the fender just to the driver side of the power brake booster.

This is also a stock 1985 chevy full size truck resevior and cap.

Here is a side by side of the stock rod assembly, and the hydraulic clutch assembly. Notice the over all length is very close.

To me, this is one of the neatest pics of the swap because it really details the overall difference in clutch action between the two designs. I can tell you this. The hydraulic set up is smooooooooth, and the pedal does not rattle and vibrate with the engine action.

Finally, this is the little jewel that makes it all happen.

This is the hydraulic release bearing sitting on the bearing retainer (removed from the trans for demonstration purposes). As you see, it is the release bearing, and hydraulic assembly all in one.

A very nifty little unit.

Hydraulic%20Release%20Bearing.JPG

Thanx for the pics

Thanks for the pics Chris that'll help me get started. I guess what I am more interested or actually need more info on is the hydraulic release bearing and how it gets mounted to the clutch assembly.

So you just swapped your system from a truck, right?

I am going to BN tonight and see if I can find a manual of some sort.

Frank

Re: Thanx for the pics

sscam69 said:
Thanks for the pics Chris that'll help me get started. I guess what I am more interested or actually need more info on is the hydraulic release bearing and how it gets mounted to the clutch assembly.

So you just swapped your system from a truck, right?

I am going to BN tonight and see if I can find a manual of some sort.

Frank

Frank,

That last picture I posted there is the hydraulic bearing, and what you are seeing is how it attaches to the transmission. That thing it is sitting on is the front bearing retainer that the input shaft sticks out of. Basically, it slides over the shaft just like a regular bearing, but you don't need the fork, and that is all there is to it.

It moves back and forward on itself creating the action needed to release the clutch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom