Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lazy Headlight...

HammerDown

Corvette
1981 White/ Red int.
My drivers side light always poped up rather quickly, now it's much slower than the passanger side. I've rebuilt the pass side a few times (ruber cone seal) but the drivers side I've never touched at least I don't recall ever doing it.
Also...when the pass side went bad I got a bad vacuum leak and hiss...also the engine had a miss from the vacuum leak...but this isn't happening with the drivers side.

Any ideas...?
PS everything is lubed and all springs are good.

It might just be the seal going on you. It doesnt necessarily hiss. Did you do a quick vacuum check ?

:w
-Stefan

it could be a couple of different things. you should have 2 vacuum relays under the nose, one for each side. could be the one that controls the driver's side (personally, not what i think, but it is possible).

check the vacuum hose ends where they join the nipples on the relay and on the actuator. they have a tendency to dry out and crack on the ends. that would obviously cause a leak (but might not be enough to "hiss". since they are just slow, i would doubt you would be able to hear anything over the engine running as it is a slight loss of vacuum, not a complete failure).

if your vacuum hoses are a bit older, they may have dried out a bit from the heat and have micro cracks or are porous enough to be leaching a bit of vacuum and it is preventing the headlamp actuator to operate at full capacity.

it could be the actuator seal as previously mentioned, but the actuator itself could be going bad and the diaphram inside is starting to fail.

hope some of that points you in the right direction to solve your problem

Thanks for the feedback...hoses look good, guess I pull the actuator and look at the cone seal in that one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom