Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Leaky calipers

R

ray1997

One front one rear.Brakes worked perfect before leak.Is may best bet to rebuild myself with Lip seal or Oring or just get rebuild caliper and pay shipping and core. Best place to get parts. THANKS:confused

If you have experience and confidence in your own abilities, then do them yourself. Either type seal is good, I prefer lip seals. Otherwise, your local cars parts store can get calipers for you. No hassles with shipping or returning cores.

I had an orange 77 corvette a few years back. Always likes the color--it grows on you. I changed all the brake calipers from Vette Brakes. I had very good luck with them as long as I had the car.
their web site-- www.vbandp.com

I too have VBP calipers which I bought in 2004 and have not had any problem with them thus far!!!
If I were to rebuild these I would use 'o-rings'

Replace/rebuild all four. The two which appear not to be leaking are as old as the two which are.

Have you checked the master cylinder?

:)

I rebuilt all four of mine 3 1/2 years and 25000 miles ago with o-ring kits from Eckler's or Mid america, I can't remember which. My brakes work great now. Art

One thing to consider- if your calipers are original (never been replaced) they will NOT have sleeves in the bores. No sleeves= O-ring pistons will not seal. Just about all of the C-3's have had the calipers rebuilt/replaced, so finding a set that are without sleeves would be a rare thing.

I recommend a full brake package from VB&P. They offer an excellent product and it also happens that they are a Supporting Vendor. So if you call them and reference the CAC, there may be a discount in it for you. As noted in my auto-sig, I have one of their complete brake kits (calipers, lines, mstr cyl) and haven't had a single issue with it after many years being on the car.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom