Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! leaky radiator

tomgok

Corvette
76 L-48,coupe
Just a quick warning on some C3 vettes, The radiator drain plug can really get seized. After using suitable penetrant and much colorful language I was able to get the plug out. Unfortunately the threaded ring that is brazed into the radiator that holds the plug must have gotten a bit tweaked when I removed the plug and now leaks. MORAL OF THE STORY, SAVE SOME TIME AND HEADACHE AND JUST PULL OFF THE LOWER HOSE!:mad

Very true, many times the plug is like my 72's and would hit the frame anyway. I just use a little gear pump( ebay has them) and a Milwaukee cordless drill to suck out 2 gallons from the radiator without the hassle of messing under the car with the hose or plug. Just did it last month when I swapped the heads in the car.

Very true, many times the plug is like my 72's and would hit the frame anyway. I just use a little gear pump( ebay has them) and a Milwaukee cordless drill to suck out 2 gallons from the radiator without the hassle of messing under the car with the hose or plug. Just did it last month when I swapped the heads in the car.

I put a 90° elbow on my radiator then put the plug in that. No hitting the frame after I did that.

Plus, since the plug has a pipe thread there's no reason to really tighten the plug. I just tighten it somewhat with the intent that the tapered, pipe thread does its sealing job properly. If it leaks it's likely because the threads in the radiator on on the plug are damaged.

I've never had my plug seize in the radiator and the radiator and the plug are 20 years old.

AeroKroil

Just a quick warning on some C3 vettes, The radiator drain plug can really get seized. After using suitable penetrant and much colorful language I was able to get the plug out. Unfortunately the threaded ring that is brazed into the radiator that holds the plug must have gotten a bit tweaked when I removed the plug and now leaks. MORAL OF THE STORY, SAVE SOME TIME AND HEADACHE AND JUST PULL OFF THE LOWER HOSE!:mad
I have used this stuff since IBM maint guys demo'ed it for me . WD is Krazy Glue compared to this .....

Google Deal

I have used this stuff since IBM maint guys demo'ed it for me . WD is Krazy Glue compared to this .....

Google Deal

Kroil is good stuff. If you really want to get serious, try some Hoppe's #9 Gun Solvent. Or acetone and trans fluid.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom