Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Learning to drive in a ZR-1???

• Thread starter Thread starter secondchance
  • Start date Start date
Its not really passing on love of fast cars, its passing on the respect and love of fine things. It just so happens this one goes from 0- "scare the hair off your balls (as so nicely put in another thread) in no time." Just make sure he respects the car, bring him to the gathering if you can make it. I've got some stories to tell him that will help in the respect of the car department.

A vette is a great way for you and your son to become closer, take him to car shows with you and share your experiences with him. Its a nice thing to do.

secondchance said:
Glad to see that I'm in similar company. Love of a fast car is a little scary thing to pass on. You know?

:upthumbs

I took him to Carlisle last year. This year I might have to take both Scott(19) and Alex(15). Gonna be tough in a ZR-1.:D

secondchance said:
I took him to Carlisle last year. This year I might have to take both Scott(19) and Alex(15). Gonna be tough in a ZR-1.:D

Sounds like its time for a 2nd Corvette :)

My 19 yr old is already pushing for a C-5.:eyerole
Thank god! He was more of "import kind of guy". I guess my gene is finally kicking in.:L

I say do what you think you son is capable of handling.

I was teaching my son how to drive a 5 speed (about 4 years ago, he was 16) and it was in my heavily modified '92 Mustang GT. I pulled in to the empty parking lot, let it go all the way to 3rd gear and scared the crap out of him. He was done and didn't feel like driving the rest of the day. Later that night, I asked him what was wrong and he said the car had to much power for him and he ws afraid that if he drove it, he wouldn't be able to handle the power. He was and is very mature for his age.

I understood what he was saying and respected his decision. So, he bought himself another car, though I was going to give him the car for his 16th Birthday. I had no problems with keeping the Mustang. :D

A few days after we got our '95 Corvette, he asked if he could drive it. I said sure, I'll get the keys and ride with you. We are cruising down the road and he's doing 68 mph and I tell him that the speed limit is 55. He says, "oh, I didn't realize I was going that fast" and I knew how he felt. The Corvette doesn't seem like it is going "as fast as it is", so he kept it at the speed limit for the rest of the drive. He asked me when I was going to let him drive it on his own and I said...when I'm tired of it. :rotfl:rotfl

He's got a long wait ahead of him.

Best thing to do for your teenager once they learn the basics of driving is to send them to a "Driver's Edge" Seminar. It can save his/her life.

For more information on "Driver's Edge" see:
Home | Driver's Edge

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom