Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Left side right side Symmetry

cwerve74

Corvette
1974 454MT red conv
Need expert opinion. I was looking at my 74 convertible and noticed the Body as it relates to the location of the tires is not the same on the right side as the left. I measured from a reference point on the wheel rim to the body and the right side is 1/2 inch closer then the left. It is the same both front and back. Am I being too pickey? A shift of 1/4 inch right of the body would fix this but I don't see why or how it could have moved. Is this just the way it is or do I have a problem?

I have a 73 and I have often thought it had the characteristics you describe. Never thought to actually measure tho.

Two suggestions for you:

1. If you have an assembly manual I think that gives all these dimensions.
2. Have you checked that the frame is straight? Is the wheel center to center distance the same on the left as the right?

'73

my 73 is the same way im 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher on passenger side.it still bothers me.

It is the left to right symmetry I am interested in. I will get out an accurate measure and look for something. I have been pretty much been all over the frame and had not come accross anything that would make me think it is not straight. Iwill check the assembly manual there are several measurements. I have used them for setting the alignment prior to going to the alignment shop. I might be just too critical and the 1/4 inch is just OK.

I found out the very same problem with my 1971.
1) I finally found out that the right fender and nose were replaced at some point.
2) All vettes of that period have a slight assymetry, even new from the factory.

took a tour of ACI last year and the owner explained that since the Corvette was basically assembled by hand they varied quite a bit and that to make their replacement parts fit better they moulded them to a median size.

Not sure if you guys car's are like mine but my 68 is the same way. I pulled the sill panels off and the alignment holes are not lined up. You need to loosen up the body and re-position it on the frame. Not an easy task but I'm told it can be done.

Thanks for the reply. Since I am just finishing up a front & back rebuild where I relpaced all the bushings, rubber parts & worn out stuff, I am just getting real picky. My wife says she doesn't see it but I can measure it. I will just take it a a badge of orginality.:eyerole

I think if you re-read both posts, the C2 question is a problem with the vertical axis(up-down differential) The problem with the C3 is horizontal, (left-right differential). Different cause, different solution, but same comment, lots of them left the factory like that. :)

I have noticed that on some Vettes with the naked eye. There were a bunch of 79's at a car show and the right side front wheel well on all of them was closer to the wheel than that of the left side. The good news...you can't see them both at the same time!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom