Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Legal High Speed Run In Nevada! Be There

It sounds as if you guys would relish the idea of a no holds barred, "Cannonball," New York to Newport Beach!

Yes I can see it now. CAC sponsored. Vette's ONLY!

Poker run Style with check points at Mount Washington NH, THE Museum and Pikes Peak (would have to climb both the peaks), to get your cards!

Classes for each grouping C1 through 6. Stock and Modified! Etc...

I better quit now before I get lead astray.

That would be :cool Jeff :D If you do decide to go let me know and we could try to caravan if you're interested, or at least get together somewhere along the way. I finally got some adapteres and braided lines today so the J55's will be going on soon.

I won't be working for the next month cause I ended up in the hospitable last weekend with the "complicated" (say normal for Moon) apendectomy. Sooo, 3 additional weeks off for the big scar. :( But I'll have plenty of time to work on the girl.

HEY if anyone has extra cooling device parts or recomondations for economical cooling devices availabe, I gotta get on this. Considering, brakes tranny, PS and rear end. DONATIONS ACCEPTED ;LOL :w

Sorry to hear of the complications, pal. A speedy and full recovery!

RU sure you need more cooling? The stock car has run more grueling races than what I think you are planning. 60-90 minutes of high speed, without all that much hard and frequent braking or steering is well within what our cars should handle, out-of-the-box.

I guess the twisties in NE border those square corn and wheat fields. Even the 'pizza farms' are within squares.

WhalePirot said:
Sorry to hear of the complications, pal. A speedy and full recovery!

RU sure you need more cooling? The stock car has run more grueling races than what I think you are planning. 60-90 minutes of high speed, without all that much hard and frequent braking or steering is well within what our cars should handle, out-of-the-box.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm doing well about 10 days out and have gotten a few things done on tbe car. As far as cooling, they do suggest upgrades, June in Nevada could go either way on the heat that far North I would think. I do think that the tranny and oil could use some help just to be on the safe side. Although, I did boil over my PS fluid in a VERY SHORT autocross on a 70 degree afternoon :(

Hey Jeff if you know for sure you're gonna go, and wanna work the track, I think I can get a small discount that I'd be happy to split with you if you're on my team :L :beer

I won't know until after I get back from BG in May. Which will be about a month before the BM race.

I'm sending you an email to the guy I know who does the ORR's

Jeffvette said:
I won't know until after I get back from BG in May. Which will be about a month before the BM race.

I'm sending you an email to the guy I know who does the ORR's

Any chance of seeing you down there Jeff? Festivities begin in one week Thanks again for the GSC's, sure saved me a big H/A, not to mention the money. You :_rock

I'm workin' like crazy to get as ready as I can be, and it looks like that'll go on till the last minute. I geess I'll never change :( But this much is ready so far :D Uh Oh, I don't know if I've ever posted the NEW Corvette Farm Tractor here before. Yikes ;LOL
DSCFirstCorvetteFarmTractor462.JPG

But this is the one making the 1,000 mi round trip with tires, wheels, tools, and spare parts, BEER, and whatever else I might think I need :w
DSCTralerHashMarksBarn478.JPG

atmmac said:
Who needs closed roads??

Well, I don't mind running my little girl up over 100+ for brief periods, when there is no possibility of hurting anyone else, but those opportunities are rare. I also prefer to stay out of jail and keep my license.

So, need em', no! But I waanted to have the experience of running 130 -140 for miles on end. I think it's gonna be a kick! :beer

atmmac said:
dude i was just kidding.

;) OK, I'm back! Got lots of Pics and stories if anyones intreseted. It wasn't all good, but we had a great time, and it was COOL to run my car out a bit at high speed :_rock Car ROCKS! There was plenty more in it, and me, great time.

Kindof a tease, but this car was radared at 198.5 MPH and now looks like a piece of popcorn. The driver walked away, but the crash caused some problems for most of the other participants :cry
DSCFastAssStudibaker540.JPG

if anyones intreseted

What? UR kidding, of course. We want a video of the entire time U were there, not a few pics! :)

Anything U post will be appreciated. I wanted to go, real badly, but still have a few issues to iron out with the car.
:w mike

Colin, what happened that caused him to crash? Nice "before" shot of the Stude, if only her butt wasn't in the way. :L

Your car ran great, eh? Wonderful! Congratulations!! :upthumbs

I'm just getting here and I didn't see anyone post a link to the Big Bend Open Road Race (my favorite) so here it is: www.bborr.com. If I missed it and this is a dupe, sorry.

My wife and I have done the BBORR 3 times now and have a blast. A couple of the big reasons why we like it: it's close to home and it's a 2-way run so my wife and I get to drive. 59 miles and 60 turns each way. The max unlimited average so far is just under 165MPH.

You can find the rules there and see where you stand and which classes and target speeds you might qualify for. Check out the pictures and results pages also.

Later,

WhalePirot said:
What? UR kidding, of course. We want a video of the entire time U were there, not a few pics! :)

Anything U post will be appreciated. I wanted to go, real badly, but still have a few issues to iron out with the car.
:w mike

Well, being the first time out, we had our share of missteps, unfortunately, the video camera malfunctioned (or possibly operator error) ;) There were a few other glitches as well, including my laptop basicly is in total crash mode, again, and it is the only working computer that I really have anymore, so while we have finally gotten it to boot and get on the net, this may be the last time for a while.

If I can keep it going, I'm going to upload the rest of the pics, and you all can brouse them here. There is a short video of my brother going offf the line and blowing thrugh third into a nice OD bog. May have some more video later but none of the race from in the car :cry
http://forus.com/moonunit/corvette/PONYEXPRESS/

Ken said:
Colin, what happened that caused him to crash? Nice "before" shot of the Stude, if only her butt wasn't in the way. :L

Your car ran great, eh? Wonderful! Congratulations!! :upthumbs

Yea, we were on the grid and I had to be by my car as a rookie, not wanting to make any dumb errors, and making an ass of myself, so I let the photography suffer a bit :)

There was no real explanation given for the crash, vbut here is what I know. There was a speed trap located approx. one mile prior to the wreck. The accident happened on a high speed right sweeper, and he apparently lost the rearend and rolled several times comming to rest on the inside of the corner. He was assisted from the car by the drivers of thenext car behind him prior to course workers arriving from there posts nearby. He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital where he was examined and released a short time later. He attended the banquet in the evening.

Conjecture, The speed trap was possibly positioned too close to the corner, the road conditions in the area were not comprimized by the weather or the infestation of LARGE Katydids which were migrating across the track in heavy populations at various times during our stay. Speed appears to be the primary factor.

Cool. Thanks for all the pics; saw them all, plus the video. Maybe next year!

U never said how much you enjoyed it. might we assume??? :w

WhalePirot said:
Cool. Thanks for all the pics; saw them all, plus the video. Maybe next year!

U never said how much you enjoyed it. might we assume??? :w

Thanks for your reply, interest and question :w

I haven't replied on the fun factor for a specific reason. I wanted time to sit back and take some time to reflect on my experience. Fact of the matter is I, (and, at least 90% of the other entrants) only got to run 45 mi. of the course, which was the first leg, where we to regrid and run 85 mi back to town. I was VERY disappointed to say the least :cry

I know that there are NO guaranteis with any type of racing, but I felt the management of the event was poor in some aspects. I'm really hesitant to comment on this as a rookie, but some things were done and decisions made that directly resulted in (my), our, not being able to complete the run.

There were many factors involved, and management decisions were made that I question, but I was not making the decisions. It's just my opinion from my bias. I'll say more later, but I'm not comfortable commenting further at this time.

There were LOTS of great people there, including the management. We had a great time and got to do some high speed driving, for sure, but as with all things, the more you get the more you learn. I expected to learn more.

On my first practice run, once I got over about 125 sustained, I was surprised at how my car felt. I was a little unnerved that the front felt light and floaty, but I took it up close to my Tech speed of 140, briefly. That's top speed for a rookie. I didn't feel at all that way during the actual event. More later :D
DSCRebuiltCris531.JPG

My brother Cris, as I was changing the wheels out and he got the car numbers on. Incidently, he arrived Tuesday night late from Pittsburgh, and was my co-driver/navigator. About 20 minutes before we were to pull out late Wednesday morning, he hit the deck hard. His back went out, and I scambled to get him to my chiropractor, who generously took care of him without much paperwork.

He was in agony, said it was the worst pain he'd aver had. This kid (well he's 40) never complained the whole trip, and although he got marginally better, left after driving over 500 mi back home on a red eye Monday night at 11:15. I couldn't have chosen a better partner :cool

His effort on the math was second to none. You might not think it's much, but especially as rookies, it was extremely complex. Stuff I couldn't even consider. What the F is base 60? He was incredible and I can't thank him enough :_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom