Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LeMans Headlights

B

Bullitt

I'm thinking of finally giving in and buying Guldstrand's conversion kit to LeMans/Daytona headlights. Took me about 8 months to make that decision. :eyerole Anyways, I need to know from other forum members who have this set-up, if there is anything that I need to retain from my original pop-up set-up. Any hardware or stuff? Thanks for any advice.

--Bullitt

Ive been looking for a cool looking set of headlights . what do these lemans/ daytona headlights look like.. got a web site or pic. thanks, T

Guldstrand site is up, but I haven't been able to get the L-88 page to load up. :( There's a lot of cool stuff there, including a 5-link rear suspension that looks awesome!

--Bullitt

I must be going blonde or something. Duuuhhhh. I forgot that Scott has a pic of the headlight set-up on his site under the race section. Click here: Owens Corning Race Car. I need to find out exactly how they bolt up. I asked Ken talk to a Guldstrand employee a few months ago, but unfortunately, he wasn't familiar with the installation. Perhaps, I'll just call them tomorrow and hope to get the chief, himself. Take a look at those wheels, too. With the polished center cap, those would look drop-dead goregous on my car. :cool

--Bullitt

Wow,

Those headlights are exactly what i have been looking for . I have emailed tons of places asking for those style headlights but no one had them. If you have a mid america magazine and im sure you so. I always ask for the lights that the red corvette with the blue and white stripe on the suspension page in the M.A. mag. has. Thanks for sending me the pic. T

Check Scott's site through the "Race Car" section. You'll see the "Rebel Racer" that is in the Mid-America catalog. It belongs to the guy who runs MA. Vette magazine did a write up on that car a few years ago. Until the C5 effort, I think it had the best finish at LeMans. There is a Star & Stripes Vette too, that I think Guldstrand drove himself or maybe that was Donahue.

--Bullitt

If you want headlights you can see with look at this site
http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/
I changed over to the CIEBE european lamps and I have serious lights at night, they don't blind anyone else either even with 100watt low beams

JS

Lights

Once you get the mounts and covers from Guldstrand you can mount Hella, Bosch or whatever in them. Check out the first picture in my May column
for how these lights look in a car.

Tom

Glustrand pricing

The buckets and covers run $579.95 (with the covers being cut to fit????) Then you have to add a compatible lighting package as stock Corvette will not fit. Bobby (the parts manager) indicated that a Toyota hatchback or Mercedes lighting setup would be compatible. Call Gulstrand at 818-558-1499 if you are interested. I would appreciate hearing feedback from someone brave enough to try the system. Bobby refers to them as the "racing headlight" package....

They hope that the page (L-88 Conversion panels) will be back up someday. Bobby was quite vocal in how little value he though computers had.

LeMans Style Headlights

I noticed postings dating back to April and May of last year regarding the LeMans style headlights. I have just purchased them from Gulstrand for my '71 Corvette. Since then has anyone purchased and installed a set? I spoke with Bobby (parts manager) and it seems there is some "fabricating" to be done. Would appreciate any response from anyone taking this task on.

FIA (Le Mans) Headlights

I have recently converted my car to the FIA headlight setup. Because I autocross my car, the major benefit of this conversion for me was the substantial weight savings over the stock units. The complete setup uses the aluminum buckets and the plexiglass bubble covers to protect the bulbs. A normal purchase package will only include the buckets and covers, all lighting hardware must be supplied by you. For my setup, I used the original Corvette headlight cups and alignment screws, and screwed and nutted them directly to the aluminum bucket. This setup may not allow much adjustment of the light beam, as the flat surface of the bulb cup rests against the flat surface of the bucket. Another option, which is probably not very desirable to anyone, is to cut out the plate from the stock bucket which the alignment screws are mounted on, then drill holes through the plate and the bucket and screw and nut that. The drawback here, aside from cutting up the stock buckets, is that the bulb will sit forward from the bucket about an inch, which may look weird. The plexiglass covers generally come oversize and must be cut to fit properly. The mounting method is up to you, but one of the classic ways that race teams did it (which is the way I did it) is to use a hinge at the front of the cover, with screws drilled and carefully tapped into the plexiglass. The hinge is then held to the body using screws and nut, with holes drilled through the body work. The hinge allows the headlight bulb to be changed without completely removing the cover. The top side of the headlight must also be held secure so as to not flip open. I accomplished this (at the recommendation of Kevin Mackay, who restored the Rebel and Stars and Stripes cars) using a threaded insert which presses directly into a hole drilled in the fiberglass. Take a look at the pictures, and I will be happy to provide any other info.

another picture

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom