Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Let's Beat Thiis Horse Some More (tires)

• Thread starter Thread starter CS72Roadster
  • Start date Start date
C

CS72Roadster

Okay, I have read numerous posts on tire size and it seems as if a 255/60r15 will fit a '72 with no problem. I am planning on swapping out tires and was lookiing at mine this weekend. I have 225/70R15's right now and it appears that there is not a whole lot of fender clearance on the front wheels when turning. I don't see how a wider tire is going to clear it. I just want to make sure before buying them. :confused

CS

It all depends on how your front sits ; i used to have 235x70R15's on mine and went up to 255x60R15's . They clear and look good on front and back. Why not buy them and have the installed put ONE on the front (only) to see if it clears ???

I got the BFG's with raised white letters. The ride is softer than before and handling improved.

As long as you have 15x8's they should be fine. I have old Dunolp's now and just ordered Yoko Avid's 255-60-15 from Tirerack...

It took a lot more than I had thought to get new tires on my '72. I started out by picking the ones that I wanted, but quickly found out that there are very few tires that will fit. Everything performance is based on 16" or larger. Not much for 15" rims.

The old tires were 245/60/15 and they rubbed more than I liked (sharp parking lot turns on front and freeway dips on rear). I have 15x9.5" slotted mags, not the original 8" ralley wheels.

I ended up with some 235/60/16 Michelin Pilot's (high perfromance). They don't rub, look good and are a whole lot stickier then the old ones.

My other consideration would have been BFG TA's. they are only rated as Performance, but come in many sizes. I thought of going with 235 on front and 265 on rear. Pretty cool look, but not very practical.

Bottom line is, I am very happy with the Michelins.

Funny side note: Someone in another forum said to stay away from Michelins. French company and all, didn't support the war effort, blah, blah, blah.... I couldn't resist pointing out that Luis Chevrolet was French. I wonder if he has scrapped his vette and got into an nice Ford Pinto yet?

You can run 255/60-15's on your 72 without having any rubbing problems Thats what i just bought for my 69 as long as you use the factory rims if your car has the aftermarket rallys they have a different backspacing and they will rub, by the way my neighbor has a 72 and runs 255/60-15 on his and has no problems.

beat this horse

I just put 255/60/15 Dunlop's on my 76, I like the look and they do not rub. I was told on the older C-3's with stock wheels unless the springs are weak from age that they will not rub.:Steer

I know my springs need replacing and that must be the reason that they rubbed bad on the front. When turning they hit the front of the fender. I ended up with the 255's on the back and they are getting me some 245' and 235's (just in case) for the front this week. The 255 is a fat tire and does look good on the back, though.

Thanks for your help,
CS

I was able to put 255/60R15 on my '72 with no problems...

Just returned from a 2,773 mile trip (Hot Rod Power Tour) over some VERY rough roads.....no clearance problems at all....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom