Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any C3s with 235/60R15? (pics or opinions..)

Smitty1970

Corvette
1970 Silver Convertible
Hello,

Let me apologize in advance for asking this again... New guy here looking to buy new tires for my 70 convertable. I have read about a thousand posts regarding tire size. I was going to get 17's, but have decided to keep the car stock looking (at least for now) and put more money into brakes.

I am not happy with tire choices for 15" ralleye rims, but need to make a decision. I want to look classic/stock, but maximize performance. The car will not be a daily driver, it will live in my garage and probably log about 1000 miles per year. I am not an overly aggressive driver, but I think a corvette deserves respectable rubber.

So far, I think the Michelin Pilot XGT H4 in 235/60R15 is my best bet. I can get it in the 225/70R15, but I think the lower profile 60 would be better for corners. It is one of a few 15" tires with an H speed rating. I am not overly concerned with my speedo.

I could also go with a lesser quality tire in 245/60R15 (Dunlop or BFG)... Would these be acceptable? I have my doubts.

This choice is killing me. Am I missing any other good options?

Does anyone have pics of 235/60R15 on a C3? I know they are a little shorter, but they are very close in diameter to the 255/45R17 that everyone seems to like.

Any pics or opinions will be appreciated.

Side note - I am in the middle of a brake rebuild (new calipers, m/c, braided stainless steel lines, front hard lines, new rotors) with the help of our friends at VBP. I am anxious for warmer weather to get back on the road.

When I get the silver bullet back together, I will post pics and update you all on my tire choice.

Thanks to all for your posts on this forum. I have spent many hours reading over the last two months. I have learned a ton.

- Sean

When I bought my 77 last year, it had either 235 or 245/60-15's on it. I know I went through the calculations and it worked out to equal a 4.11 ratio instead of the actual 3.70 that's in it. Speedometer was off something like 15%. Great accelleration! With the old springs and these tires, ground clearance was a problem.

There are some pictures on my website that show it with the old tires. They looked too small in the fenders for my taste. I put 225/70-15 Firstone Indy's back on. I prefer the stock look.

Before..

http://www.sunny-california.com/photogallery/Corvette%20Before%20Start%20of%20Restoration/

After.. Stock Size.

http://www.sunny-california.com/photogallery/Drives%20Again%20Temporarily/index.html

Lots of additional photos..

http://corvette.sunny-california.com/

I've heard good things about the firehawk and plan on giving them a whirl after my kelly chargers wear out.

I'm using 255/60/15 BFG's on my 1980 front/back they looks great with no clearance issues. As far as speed it's not an issue for me.:w

i have goodyear eagle gt 2's on my 68. they're 235-60-15. i think they look cool. they're mounted on american racing rims 15-8. they are aluminum with all those rivets and a bunch of holes just outside the lug nuts (outlaw 2 series 62).

I've got 255/70 15's on mine... you can never have enough meat!

attachment.php

And to fill in the gap in the matrix....

I'm running Goodyear Eagle GT2 255/60/R15 white letters on my '82. They run great! Super handling! Quiet ride!
$78.00/ tire @ Tirerack.

Hey Sean,
http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html
Being the broken record that I am the above link will help you figure out close matches in tire size. The tire size you are considering are about 3/4" shorter than OEM as I think 70s came with F70-15s which in todays world the closest match is 215/70-15. They will have a very small affect on speedo overstating speed by 1+mph. Might even help with ticket avoidance! If you want to stay with 15" wheels the michelins sound like a great bet, as it is very hard to find 15" speed rated tires what with all the rice rockets running 17"+. I think the softer tire compounds help the ride and handling a lot. I went with 235/60-16 V rated Yokohama Avis over the winter. I don't know how the winter has treated Iowans, but out here I don't think it will ever end. I have had about a 10 minute test drive on dry roads before it started to snow but I found a major improvement over the old S rated Firestones--wishful thinking? maybe. But eventually I'm hopeful that spring will sprung and I will know for sure.

Goodyear 255/60R15 Eagle #1 Nascar w/ yellow raised letters on mine. They look great with the Brown Metallic :w

80crabvette said:
I'm using 255/60/15 BFG's on my 1980 front/back they looks great with no clearance issues. As far as speed it's not an issue for me.:w
I agree:
for the money, you probably can't beat the BFG's, especially if high-performance driving ISN'T something you do often.

I have 255/60s on my '82, and 235/70s on the '80, and the '82 just 'looks' much better with those bigger tires in the wheel-wells, altho I'm told the tires that fit latter C3s don't always fit the early Sharks without trimming the wheel-opening.....

I have the firehawks on mine. I'm very happy with them.
When I got the car it had Goodyear GT+4's (like new) that were really wide. They'd actually bang the wheel wells on short radius turns. They were very loud, and were terrible handling tires, at least next to the Firestone Firehawks.

Thanks to all for your posts. I really appreciate the pics and input.

I am still leaning towards the 235/60 Michelins. I have been thinking for years about putting lower profile tires on, so I am probably not going to go with 225/70s.

Until I started reading all the posts here and at corvetteforum.com, I had never thought about all the possibilities (16", 17", etc.). I just thought when the time was right, I would buy some 235 or 245 60s. In my opinion, the 245/60 BFG would be the best looking option (size and sidewall), but I am now thinking twice about the quality/safety/performance. To me, the 60 series tires just look right on a C3. I just wish someone made a higher performance 245/60.

Someday, I may spring for the 17" Torq Thrust 2s - all the cars with them look awesome and the tire selection is much better.

I also am very nervous about rubbing. My car is a '70, so I don't think the 255/60s are an option. I had a truck with tires that rubbed on big bumps - I don't want to do that to a classic car.

I hope to decide and order this week. Unfortunately, my car is on jack stands in my buddy's garage (brake parts en route) and the outside temp is freezing, so what's the hurry... I will post with my decision.

Thanks again!
- Sean

71 with 235s

Here's a pic of my 71 with bfg 235/60s. I thought they didn't fill the wheel well and looked small with the car. I switched to 225/70s about a year ago and have been pleased. 245/60s may be a good compromise between the two, but I would stay away from 255/60 on older C3s. Some people run them with no problems but I have seen cars with body damage from the 255s rubbing.

2004_0320_172135AA.jpg

Here's a pic with 225/70s

LT-1.jpg

225/60/15 front
275/60/15 rear
Kelly Chargers
Be aware that the wider tires tend to try to climb up to the top of the ruts in well worn roads making you feel like you are wandering around the road a lot.

curtis:

what is the size (width) of the wheels your 275s are mounted-on, and what is the cross-sectional (sidewall-to-sidewall) dimension?

Thanks in advance.

The wheels are the stock slotted aluminum 8.5 inch wide. Don't know the other measurement you ask for. I did move the emergency brake cable bracket fromthe side of the trailing arm things to the top side just for a little more clearance. Everything misses by about 1/2 inch now.

bb68coupe said:
i have goodyear eagle gt 2's on my 68. they're 235-60-15. i think they look cool. they're mounted on american racing rims 15-8. they are aluminum with all those rivets and a bunch of holes just outside the lug nuts (outlaw 2 series 62).

I have run Goodyear Eagles GT (more recently GT2's) on my '69 from 1981 until last year. I went to the 235-60-15 Pilots. IMHO the Pilots are much, much better than the Goodyears, but I miss the cool raised white letters. When the car was younger I could squeeze 245-60-15s, but the suspension is aging.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom