Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Light Problem

R

RayL81

I just bought a 1981 Corvette last week. During a night drive I noticed that I have no dash lights, no side marker lights and no tail lights. I have checked all the fuses and replaced some that appeared to be good, in hopes of correcting the problem. Well guess what? The lights are still not working. Any ideas?

Ray,

The switch may be bad. Same thing happened on my Bonneville.

........... Nut

Lights

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what the electrical shop told me over the phone. I have an appointment for next Tuesday. I hope the labor doesn't kill me. The switch cost is $32. I'm almost AARP also. Next August for me.

That's great. Nice to see another 81er turning the odometer over another click. Hope you're enjoying the CAC and your new '81.

......... Nut

Yeah I'm loving the vette. I can't believe how many people ask me questions about the car and give so many compliments. I just smile like a proud father.

Ray

Welcome to CAC its a great place to meet people and the info here is priceless, they have helped me sooooooo many times. :D

I completely agree with you, I have had so many people ask questions about BB (blue beauty) maybe its the lines she has.
The greatest compliment I ever had was at a cruise-in when a 12 yr old girl asked if she could take a picture of BB. Then she brought her parents back to see the car and take another picture. I bet she will be a Vette owner some day.

AARP yep I remember getting a few mailing from them a few years ago, life really gets better when you own a VETTE! :)

this may be dumb of me to ask, because i may know the answer. but right now, for the life of me, i don't have a clue what AARP is.
someone care to shed some light here.

thanks guys

sam

Sam,

You have 30 years before you qualify :D It's for old folks 50 and older. It is suppose to be nonpartisian, offering discounts for members. The only requirement is to be OLD (50 +)

With so many OLD people (baby boomers) as members, AARP has a pretty good following and political clout. If you want to see more about them go to aarp.com, I used to be one, but I subtract a year each birthday so I'm getting younger each year :D

BudD
:bu

Bud,
Did you have to use OLD so many times? ROFL:L :L :L :L :L

Carlo

Light Problem Fixed

I wanted to let everyone know that the light problem (dash, tail, marker lights) was caused by a Viper alarm system. The previous owner or the dealership where I purchased my 81, had cut some wires on the alarm system to deactivate it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

headlight switch

Just for reference, I just replaced my headlight switch, it was fun, NOT!

To get to the switch you'll need to remove the lower heat/AC duct going to the drivers side dash vent, then drop the steering column a little so you can get the speedo and tach cluster out, when this is done access to the headlight is very easy right through the speedo/tach hole. Make sure the neg battery cable is disconnected because the my new switch was in the on position, (when you remove the knob and rod it leaves the switch in the on position) and that switch will get hot quick (ceramic heat sink behind the dash brightness pot).

I would suggest while the speedo / tach cluster is out you replace all the bulbs and clean / refurb all the sockets and while you're having so much fun with the dash you might as well do the gague cluster while you're at it. On the plus side, when you're done, the dash lights will be like brand new.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom