Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Light Weight Batteries

Z

ZR1Pete

Somebody had posted a couple of companies that sold light weight batteries i can't seem to find the posts.
If somebody can post these companies again i'd appreciate it,i'm interested and would like to try one.
TIA

My biggest question would be this: Is that battery strong enought to start a ZR1, and what about playing the radio for 30 minutes, and then trying to start it. I have heard stories of some of these lightweight batteries not capable of starting the car if the accessories were ran for alittle while. WHats you take on that?

Thanks Guys
I think i will go with the Hawker G16EP i'l let you guys know how well it works in the Z.

ZR1Pete said:
Thanks Guys
I think i will go with the Hawker G16EP i'l let you guys know how well it works in the Z.

Please do keep us informed Pete .
TIA :w

I have seen the same thing. My friend had a Dynabat for his Trans Am and h had to replace it because of the no start issue. With size you trade amperage. Amperage is what cranks the motor over and with 11 to 1 stock compresion ration. I bet you really need a lot of torque to consistantly turn the motor over in all conditions and temperatures.

MrCrowley said:
My biggest question would be this: Is that battery strong enought to start a ZR1, and what about playing the radio for 30 minutes, and then trying to start it. I have heard stories of some of these lightweight batteries not capable of starting the car if the accessories were ran for alittle while. WHats you take on that?

Hey Joel
How would this battery work if i only used it in temps above 50 degrees.No winters.

I am very interested in this also. I was thinking these little batteries could be relocated to the storage area behind the seats pretty easily. Doing so would greatly decrease the temperature range the battery is exposed to and move the cars weight bias towards the rear as well.

If your electrical system doesn't have any significant grounds (discharge leakage) you should be OK. I wouldn't play the radio with the alternator not running for too long.

As far as relocating in the back seat just use heavy gauge wire to lower resistance to a minimum so you will not lose as much amerage from the battery to the starter.

ZR1Pete said:
Hey Joel
How would this battery work if i only used it in temps above 50 degrees.No winters.

I just ordered a PS12180 (powersonic 12v 18ah) for $39.29 shipped ($28.95 before shipping) from www.batteryconnection.com

It does not have the rugged case that the hawker does (but it does pass vibration testing), nor does it have normal car style terminals. The way I plan to mount it (laying down where the stock battery goes) the case won't matter since it won't take much if any side load. I also plan to make adapters to convert the nut-n-bolt style terminals to sidepost.

I'll let everyone know how it works when I get it.

{edit}Oh btw, it only weighs 13.1 pounds :D{/edit}

Hey mongoose
I thought these batteries can't handle the high under hood temps,thats why i was going to install it behind the seat.

ZR1Pete said:
Hey mongoose
I thought these batteries can't handle the high under hood temps,thats why i was going to install it behind the seat.

I read that too. But I also noticed that our stock battery is located right next to a "gill" vent. I don't think it will get any hotter there than in my interior on a hot summer day.

I figure that for $40 I'll try it in the stock location first and if that doesn't work I'll buy another one and move it.

Hey mongoose
Any news on the battery swap.
How's the light weight battery working out.
I'm ready to order,i was debating if i should go with the 13lb 18amp or the 21lb 28amp.

ZR1Pete said:
Hey mongoose
Any news on the battery swap.
How's the light weight battery working out.
I'm ready to order,i was debating if i should go with the 13lb 18amp or the 21lb 28amp.

I got the battery installed. I had to do a little custom fab of a bracket and some posts but I was able to put it in the factory location w/o making any permenant modifications. (I don't have pics yet). I used the 13# 18amp battery; it seems to start the car fine. My pilot bushing is sticking so I have not driven the car yet with that battery, so I have no idea how it daily drives. But it will start the car quickly w/o acting loaded.

I don't think the extra 10 amps is worth the weight in my case. If you daily drive it may be.

Thanks mongoose

Keep me posted if you get any more input on it.
I'll order the 13# 18 ah and see how it goes for that price i can't go wrong.

Hey mongoose, have you tried starting you car after it is warmed up, and let it sit about 10 minutes? Im kinda curious how that battery works after sitting a few minutes on a hot summers day! I know its not warm yet, but I was just inquiring.

MrCrowley said:
Hey mongoose, have you tried starting you car after it is warmed up, and let it sit about 10 minutes? Im kinda curious how that battery works after sitting a few minutes on a hot summers day! I know its not warm yet, but I was just inquiring.

Nope, not yet. I will be replacing my pilot bearing this weekend and installing headers and an X pipe. After I get that stuff done I will be driving it again.

I plan to go to another DE event in late July (at Texas World Speedway). Figure mid-90's to over 100 ambient plus pounding on the car. If the battery survives that I'd say its the real deal :)

Picture

Here's a picture of the battery installed. I will be driving the car next week as a daily driver to see how it does (unless it rains).

Click the picture to get a larger view

I found a local source for the batteries and I plan on selling this setup as a turn key kit in the future with both the 13# battery (pictured) and a 20# battery with a little more reserve. The kit would fit a C4 or C5 w/o requiring any modifications to the car so you could use it as a "weekends only" setup for racing if you wanted to.

PS - the kit batteries will be black; that looks better imo

Update on the lightweight battery:

The 13# 18 amp battery starts the car fine and will work the accessories with the power off. I have tried rolling up the windows, moving the seat forward, and moving it back (about 4" ea way) without the engine running; but only one item at a time. The battery has yet to not start the car.

The battery often seems to get the sys message to flash on the speedo display. The best way to prevent that message is to turn the key to "on", allow the vacuum pump / fuel pumps quit running, and then start the car. That way you spend less time cranking. I would call it a weekend warrior battery; although it doesn't seem to have any trouble with the A/C going full blast with headlights and wipers running; that sys message does get annoying.

I am going to try the 20# battery soon; it should work better for daily driving. I will be selling kits for both.

The 13# kit is available now and cost $70 plus shipping (uncharged battery) or $75 + shipping if I put the initial charge on it (12 hours at 3 amps or less). I expect the 20-21# kit will be about $15-$20 more, but I don't have a definate cost on the battery yet. The kits include the battery and all of the hardware necessary to hold the battery in place in either a C4 or C5.

If you want one send me an email: andy@denslow.net

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom