Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Like ScoobyDoo...help me solve this mystery??

80convertible

Corvette
1973 converted to 1980 custom convertible
Installed a new turn signal switch in my 80 with t/t steering. Got everything back together and working. But.... when I make a right or left turn with the turn signal switch activated, my horn blows when the steering wheel hits a certain spot while turning right or left. It only blows at that certain spot. As I keep turning the wheel, the horn stops blowing. To add to the mystery, the horn does not blow while making a turn if the turn signal switch is not activated. I just pulled the turn signal switch to reinspect and can't find anything unusual. I'm confident that I reinstalled everything correctly because had I not the horn would blow all the time. The horn does function properly when I depress it and the turn signals are operational. Anyone have a clue.... I'll give you a scooby snack:)

Jim

Try putting some shims (small washers) between the horn bezel and the steering wheel.

I was having the same problems until I got it shimmed further back.

See if that works.

Chris

(BTW-what kind of scooby snack are you going to give me if that fixes it?)

Rut ROO!

Chris is correct......

Ruby ROO!

Vig!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have 3 shims already. All I did was change the turn signal switch, nothing else. So.... everything should go back the way it was and work properly or so I thought. There has to be more to it but I just can't think of it.

Jim

What a Honk!

So something's getting grounded as your turning the wheel.

Lets assume for the sake of discussion that your horn hardware is AOK.

How much of a struggle was it to get the new turn signal harness down the column?

And what are the possibilities that a wire got nicked or pinched?

Looks like your back to square 1 and re-inspect the install.

You didn't have this problem before?

Vig!

How much of a struggle was it to get the new turn signal harness down the column?
Was not much of a problem as I disconnected the harness wires from the connector, ran the wires down the column and then reattached the wires which I rechecked today for proper alignment.

And what are the possibilities that a wire got nicked or pinched?
I checked the switch and wires for any nicks etc... and found none.

You didn't have this problem before?
no!

Jim

So were any of the NYLON parts

That cover the center contactor.dammaged?
is the contactor spring somehow touching the center steering shaft?

Does it make a difference if the wheel is collapsed or fully extended?

Puttin on the thinking cap!

Vig!

Vig,

I tried different positions regarding the t/t and it made no difference. I really don't think any parts are damaged as it was not doing it before I changed the turn signal switch and I was very careful uninstalling everything. Again, the horn works just find, it just beeps for a split second while turning.

Jim

I'll still bet

That the contactor spring.. is grounding someplace it shouldn't.

Vig!

Which spring is the "contactor spring"? Are you refering to the little spring that sits inside the steering wheel hub that makes contact with the horn button? If not, are you refering to the large upper spring that resides behind the steering wheel hub?

Jim

Large upper spring

If that grabs( touches ) where it's not suppost to...BEEP!

I put some shrink tube on mine..except at the needed contact points.

Vig!

Vig,

Well I solved the mystery. Not exactly sure what I did to solve it though. While installing everything again, I used my volt meter to check for anything grounding the horn. If anything metal was going to cause the ground, I would know. I also did something similar to your shrink tubing. I painted the spring and filed back the paint that contacted the cancelling cam-horn contact. This made sure the spring could not ground anywhere else and protected the already rusting spring. I also notice that the little white plastic insulator that insulates the spring inside the steering wheel hub was rotted. I made a new plastic insulator using a yellow sized butt connector. This made sure that the little spring could not touch the hub and ground the horn. Not sure if any of what I described fixed the problem, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for your assistance:)

Jim

Your welcome

I hate it however when we don't find the smoking gun.....
Your welcome!

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom