Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Little Plastic Tube;help

Z

Zora1

;help

While replacing my ECM today and removing the cover below the passenger dash, I found that a small black plastic tube had fallen onto the small courtesy light bult that is right above the passenger's legs, and burned in two. If fact, I could only find one end where it had burned, then there was about a 8" piece just laying there. It was not attached to anything. I searched, but could not find where the other end should attach to. Does anyone have any idea what that little black tube does, and where it might attach?? I looks like a very small vacuum line, but everything seems to work fine in the car. Any ideas would be appreciated.

There ARE vacuum lines running through that area that control your heating/air conditioning doors to direct the flow of air to where you want it, the defroster, the vents, the heater, etc.. Are you sure they are all functioning properly? Sometimes we get used to using only certain positions of the system and fail to notice if somehting is awry. ;)

Just a thought.

_ken :w

It's black...It's plastic

I was included in the factory loom

And does NOTHING!

I chasesd mine for a month... dug & dug for info...to no avail.

My best guess it was the vac feed IF auto climate control was offered ( which it never was)

Ignore it

Vig!

Could it be a release line? I mean if your vaccum pressure for your climate controls exceeds what its supposed to work with shouldn't it have a release valve somewhere? Something like a "burb" line/jug for your coolant?

I know sometimes when I turn on my air/vent/heat (On any of my cars) I can hear a psst then it stops. I always thought it was just the line pressuring up but after reading this it got me to thinking about pressure release valves.

(Who know mabe this shows my ignorance with vaccum/climate controls LOL) If theres a problem and theres no vaccum leak IM IN TROUBLE ROFL

Yes Ken

I am the apparition of GM sucking and I was included in every 84 as a useless part.....

Editorial correction

It was..........

LOL

Vig!

Oh the hissing sound is just another vent in the A/C controller... not this mystery line!

Vigman,

You're a genius. I noticed that it did originate from the factory loom, but also noticed that the free end was very clean. like it had never attached to anything. It makes sense, it must be for something either I don't have, or as you suggested was never offered. Appreciate your help!

It's a dangerous job

But somebodies gotta do it

Your welcome

Vig!

Vacuume lines?

I wasn't aware that there were vacuume lines attached to the climate controls.

No wonder my controls don't work. I'll bet the previous owner yanked em out for good measure.

Are there multiple lines going to a vacuume manifold of some sort?

Ken

Ummm Im trying to remember...I think theres 6 on a honeycomb mounting plate/bracket. Mabe theres 7 with the A/C one I found hanging all alone in the dark Hehe. There a couple of wires that are heavy gauge going to the unit that (Of course) are extremely short so take care when pulling the thing out, as these wires are NOT part of the harness you've just removed. (Come to think of it I don't think you can remove these wires without some surgery).

Ken

On the back of the A/C controller ( Manual )

There is a 7 way hose connector which connects to a VAC switch assy which is part of the controller.

It's held in by a tinnerman ( Cheeapo ) nut

On line is the vac source

the other ones are for modifications for the different vent baffels/ controllers

So that needs to be happening BEFORE you tackle your AC problem..

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom