Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lock Out Question

wedoo2

Corvette
1984 Red
i just bought a 1984 and while I was installing the battery things started happening. The radiator fan started and then I heard the doors lock. I have the oval key that opens the doors but the driver's side is messed up and loose to the point the key will not go into it. On the passenger door the key will go in but the latch will not work. I'm having a locksmith come out and get me into the car.

My question is why did the car automatically lock when the battery was hooked up?

I know I have to fix the latches but I want to avoid this in the future. VAT problem or just the VAT doing its job? Or something entirely different?

The VATS didn't appear till the 86.I had 1 of them thump knob battery disconnects on my 85 & nothing happened when I powered it up.Just the ECM relearn process. Ya never know what the previous owners did.

Do you know anything about the history of this car? If everything is original, there's no reason for the doors to lock when you connect the battery. Nor is there any reason that the fan should come on, either! Something is weird!

Has someone installed a keyless entry system? That might be suspect for the door question, but not for the fan question.

Your best friend may become your FSM (Factory Shop Manual). If you don't have one yet, get one (it's two books)!

Ordered the FSM with the electrical supplement this morning. The car has electrical problems. No lights except for in some aftermarket gauges that the PO installed. Headlights are up but no lights, none in the interior or brakes. Dash does not work and the radio powers up but no sound.

Checked all of the fuses. I have been all over the car and I don't see any funky wiring anyplace except the gauges that were installed. I assume that the dash did not work so the PO put these in.

I'm going to try to start the car this weekend. There is old gas in it so I'll get rid of that and put some good stuff in; see if it fires up. I'm not hopeful with the electrical issues going on.

Put some new gas in the car and it started right up. Has a good idle and revs up nicely. Couldn't be happier. Headlights work, one side is off a bit. Has a squeaky belt and what little bit of valve tapping went away.

Right turn signal not flashing, lots of small stuff, but it runs and starts right up. OMG this feels so nice.

Can anybody tell me where the fusible links are?

There are three at the battery cable terminal of your starter (Alternator, ignition switch, fuse panel, headlight switch, headlight doors). There is one on the small cable from the + terminal of your battery (Radiator Fan). See pg. 8A-11, 12, 13, & 14 of your '84 FSM.

Thank you kind sir. I will be getting the FSM toward the end of the week. Luckily I now have headlights and tail lights. Nothing on the dash and no radio. But I do have ignition and liftoff so I'm making progress.

One more question, would the power steering pump make the same kind of noise that a failing serpentine belt makes if the pump was bad? Squealing. The belt is not loose and looks to be good.

Actually I'm getting grinding noises when I turn the wheel and it is hard to do.

Last edited:
Don't know if this applies to your 84 or not. On a 86 IIRC, look at the fuse panel on the passenger side of the dash and the row closest to the firewall, the 4th one from the top controls the power seats and power door locks.

2+2 MUSTANG.jpg
Thank you kind sir. I will be getting the FSM toward the end of the week. Luckily I now have headlights and tail lights. Nothing on the dash and no radio. But I do have ignition and liftoff so I'm making progress.

One more question, would the power steering pump make the same kind of noise that a failing serpentine belt makes if the pump was bad? Squealing. The belt is not loose and looks to be good

Actually I'm getting grinding noises when I turn the wheel and it is hard to do.

1984 Chevrolet Corvette Serpentine Belt Routing and Timing Belt Diagrams
As you can see from the diagram theres not much contact on the PS pump,so the belt & tensioner should be in good shape.
my old 85 had the wear indicator on the tensioner. You should also check the condition of The PS fluid,if theres signs of Aluminum in it the rack could be going south.Slso know as "morning sickness" in Fords.BTW I owned a lot of Fords,have 1 now.Cut my eye teeth on a lot of 65's back in the day. My 1st motor swap,289 to 351w & did some trans work etc.Thats 1 of my 2+2 's. Pre Vette days/lol!

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom