Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Locked in /locked out

vett boy

Corvette
2008 vert 6M silver
Drivers door on 08 won't open from the outside or inside .Passengers door works fine,trunk pull cord doesn't work ,pull handle by seat does work.

Steve, I know Huskerman had to replace the inside door catch on his '10 GS, as he was experiencing a similar problem.

How bizarre and frustrating!! :ugh

Mac

Drivers door on 08 won't open from the outside or inside .Passengers door works fine,trunk pull cord doesn't work ,pull handle by seat does work.

Ya Vett boy.....been there and done that.......either the touch pads on the door itself are dirty or bad or the actual electronically controlled door latch itself has grown weak. The door pads can be taken apart and cleaned or just replaced.....Chevy stores have them or can get them for you, the are not expensive.....$14 each I think.... Even though I had to put in a door latch I replaced both door pads on my 10 GS.......try this first to see if that is the problem, if that does not solve it then we will move on to the door latch.

The pull cord not working means it has somehow come off the mechanical hook to the latch and will not open the door. I am glad the emergency handle still is hooked up.

I changed my own latch after ordering it online. Make sure you can get the side of the car right when ordering since there is a left side latch and a right side latch.

Here are some pics of what you will encounter when installing a new latch.......

Having trouble getting my pics so will post again in a bit.......thanks......:ugh

Ok.....internet is slow today......finally got some pics....

First there is trim to take off.......I hate taking trim off.......but it must be done....this is on the drivers side.......

IMG_0900_zps63d20bdc.jpg

This is the culprit we are going after......

IMG_0884_zps5d28d0b3.jpg

carefully lift the top piece of trim by sliding a flat screw driver under the trim piece and carefully lift it up to get it unhooked.......

IMG_0879_zps39a9be07.jpg

This piece come out from underneath and will pull off the door post with the same type of attachments.....

IMG_0880_zpsc3bb77a3.jpg

It takes a bit of persuasion but it will come off......you may have to lift up and out to get it to disengage........it more work getting this trim off than the actual replacement of the latch......

IMG_0881_zps300e5e58.jpg

next you have to pull this gooey stuff off but try not to destroy it because you will want to put it back on when you are done.....

IMG_0882_zps98f27012.jpg

Back in a bit..........

Ok next undo the two fasteners on the latch itself.....

IMG_0898_zpsd8246f5d.jpg

then reach in and pull out the offending part.......

IMG_0896_zps05da8367.jpg

there is a cover that has to come off......two screws I think........

IMG_0890_zpsdaaa2d5a.jpg

unhook the emergency latch hooks from the old part.....

IMG_0891_zpsce6140b0.jpg

and the electrics........

IMG_0887_zps2b43d03c.jpg

Put in the new part and start hooking everything back up being careful that you get the emergency hooks back on correctly....with the cover back on everything should be in place to go back in the door......

IMG_0885_zps96a5b39f.jpg

secure the latch to the door post but before you stuff it back in the hole make sure the mechanical latches are working.......you can hear them opening the latch.....

IMG_0885_zps96a5b39f.jpg

torque the fasteners back on to 18 inch lbs (or snug if you prefer).....I think that is right but I will check it to make sure........and easy peasy you will have a working door again..........very nice!

IMG_0898_zpsd8246f5d.jpg

Well done boys and girls......for our next class we will put insulation in the back of our C6's..........:D

IMG_1306_zpsud63nvuy.jpg

That's even better than the Service Manuel!:thumb

Thanks M, for posting that. :thumb

Great post and great info that will help solve my issue ,Thank you very much for taking the time and effort :thumb

It was getting so frustrating I took the drivers door off and drove without it which looked stupid so I took the drivers door off also .It really screwed up the aerodynamics at speeds above 170 .:chuckle

OK ,I'm good to go after replacing the control motor ($300) doors are back on and she has a need for speed .Easy fix thats why it took me two months :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom