Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

long tube header ?

gcmlear

Corvette
2004 WHITE CONVERT
Hi all, I have searched the archives and still have some confusion.. If you were to install long tube headers only and not the corsa pace car and x pipe is there much advantage or is it all or nothing?
Is it difficult to install longtube headers and what would be a fair cost to have them installed in a muffler shop?
What is the general consenses for brand preference
I have a 04 convert, and would like a better sound however it seems like only the long tube headers deliver more h.p.
I thought I had read you had to lift the motor?
I have extended gm warranty,, any chance they could deny a claim with this mod?
Sure would appreciate any replies
George

The stock system is very efficient. If the sound is the only thing you are after a cat back mufflers is all you need. Long tube heathers in combination with air intake upgrade and a good tune (preferably a dyno) is a great was to increase performance (hp.). Long tube's will affect the emissions and are illegal in many places and will affect your GM warranty. Check local emission laws and read up on the fine print of your warranty to see if that mod will affect them. Like I said the stock is very efficient and you can get the sound without worrying about emissions or warranty. Regards, Zig.

Thanks for that,, What would be a fair price do you think to install corsa pace car with an x pipe at a muffler shop? IF I was to add longtube headers after warranty,, would it be more expensive to do it separate or better at the same time. Many thanks

I would not let any muffler shop do this type of modification on my car. Check local corvette specialty shops and get compatible quotes from each. Look for a shop that will be able to tune the car after the install in order to take full advantage of the mod. As for price I would figure the cost of parts and one full day labor to install at average local rate. It is not necessary to remove the engine to install long tubes, there are several different types out there and very few will require partial motor lift. Most however can be installed from the bottom with relative ease. Good luck, Zig.

You will see a performance increase with long tubes even if the rest of the car is stock. They will also make your exhaust a little bit louder and will change the tone.

I run Dynatech Supermaxx headers. They fit very well, are easy to install, and do not require that you lift the engine at all.

Sorry guys, still confused....On the magnaflow web they talk about 15hp gain, yet less decibles then stock. It seems corsas pace car may be the answer yet I read disapointment from a number of threads....so what do I do if
I want to add long tubes in 2 years (after warranty)
I want a more aggressive sound
more hp if possible with the mod

It seems like the only difference between stock and corsas is actually the muffler (if you dont add the x pipe ..if so why cant you just buy the mufflers and weld them in place instead of the pipes as well

Also any thoughts on the badlanze cutouts,,,, that seems like a max performance mod without all the other issues.

It seems like the only difference between stock and corsas is actually the muffler (if you dont add the x pipe ..if so why cant you just buy the mufflers and weld them in place instead of the pipes as well
You have figured it out! The only difference is the mufflers and the sound they generate. It's all about what you are after. If it's a performance gain you are looking for then you must think in a more broad sense. No single bolt on item will generate any substantial gain. NO's system is about the only bolt on gadget that will give instant performance increase. If you install long tubes you should also improve the intake. Engine has to be able to ingest before it spits it back out. Again the stock system is very efficient at dealing with stock components. All these mods should and for practical reasons have to be supported by appropriate tuning in order to be effective. Many guys will disagree with my statements but the reality is that if you bench mark the engine before and after it will not show much difference with just bolting on one or two items. The number one reason for changing the exhaust is to change the sound and appearance. Many guys think if the car is louder then it is "bad ass" and is faster. Most of the HP gains that are advertised are the best scenario improvements used to capture imagination of potential customer. You can also bet they were fallowed with a tune to get those numbers. I've yet to see any proof otherwise. These are just my opinions and I know I'll get flocked for stating them. So I guess that my long winded advice would be that if you wont sound and looks a set of cat back's is a perfect solution. If you wont performance do it all, long tubes, intake and a tune . Good luck with whatever you decide, regards Zig.

Longtubes will give you an overall jump in power, but where the most power will be made is after visiting a dyno tuner to lean your A/F (Air Fuel ratio) back out, because the LT 's will make you run rich. Then you'll catch "horsepower fever", spend absurd amounts of money on power mods. and become addicted to horsepower where too much is never enough.
It's an awful addiction most of us here suffer from. This can also cause your wife to go into convulsions whenever the UPS or FedEx guy shows up with another box marked "for Corvette." You'll be loosing it bigtime obsessing about your next mod. :crazy

Ofcourse, this happened to a friend of mine. :W

Do not take this the wrong way, but you need to get straight in your head what you are after with this modification. Are you looking for sound or horsepower gains or both. I personally think you are starting from the wrong end. I recommend you start with a good aftermarket cat back exhaust and x-pipe setup along with a cold air induction system. With these simple bolt ons, you will gain anywhere from 5 - 10 rwhp without a lot of effort. If you are thinking about doing a header install, do some planning up front with the cat back you select. Some work great with the stock manifold and cat setup but produce much to much noise and drone when combined with headers. If you are going to keep the stock manifold setup and cats, just about any cat-back will do. A lot of this is personal preference and type of sound you are looking for. I personally like the Borla Stingers, or GHLs which give a deep 60s muscle car sound. Corsas sound a bit more exotic in my opinion.

If you plan to do headers in order to gain additional HP, you need to look at the entire exhaust system. This means going with or without cats. In VA, we have OBDII emissions testing so not running cats was not an option for me. I decided to run hi-flow cats and leave the O2 sensors. Running headers through stock cats is not worth the expense for the headers as you are restricting exhaust flow. A good set of headers (LG, American Racing, TPIS, Dynatech, KOOKs, Melrose) with hi-flow cats and a good tune will net you about 20 - 30 rwhp. Noise level will be considerably more pronounced so choosing the right catbback exhaust is important. With headers, I recommend the GHL bullets, Z06 TI exhuast, or Corsas. Again subjective. You need to go do some research. Listen to sound clips and go to shows and listen to other owners that have these mods. You can then choose the system that will make you happy. Average installation for headers will run you about $400 - $600 from a competent garage. The bench tune should run you $100 - $300. Note - You will definately need to get a tune on the car if you plan to run headers, otherwise you are wasting your money. Good luck with it.

I did the Corsa Indys first with the x pipe.........got me the sound. The following year I did ARH longtubes ........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom