Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking at a '71 coupe.....

Corvette
'02 Torch Red Roadster w/lt oak and a C5-R 427
and could use a little advice.
Here's the deal:
I was approached last night by a friend at our cigar lounge. His dad's friend is looking to sell his '71 coupe, and it sounds like he needs the cash pretty quickly. What little I know- 454 with a 4 speed, side pipes and 39k miles. Supposed to be numbers matching and he paid $30,000 some time ago. Don't know if/when it's been restored. My friends says it's one beautiful vette.....nicest one he's seen. He didn't know if it has air, ps or pb. I told him to get me the particulars on it and I'd be interested in looking at it this weekend.

So, knowing very little of the sharks, I'm in need of some advice as to what to look for. I'd appreciate some pointers or guidelines as specific as you can be. Also, what and where on any numbers to verify the originality.

Last but not least, I was also told he'd take $27,000 for it. Does that sound like much of a deal if it is numbers matching?

Brett

You Go Bro.....

Tammy would just look SO good in that. Even if the #'s don't match, condition counts. Frame is obviously so important, the rest depends on how much you are willing to replace. A decent hot rod is $20,000 without being a big block four speed vette.:upthumbs

Rowdy1 said:
Tammy would just look SO good in that.
Lou....that's exactly what she said when he told us about it last night :L Can't say I'd disagree either ;)

Brett

Lou- very sorry to just read about your mom passing. Tam and I send our best to ya buddy.

Thanks

I appreciate all the warm wishes from everyone and sincerity concerning the loss of my Mom.

Brett,

If this is a northern car, the number one item to check for is R-U-S-T. The metal birdcage and frame do rust, and a serious case can be a nightmare.

In particular, check the frame in the rear kick-up (where it starts to "kick-up over the rear wheels) area, just behind the seats. Get under there and poke at it with a screwdriver (with the owner's permission of course ;LOL ) to check for soft areas.

Check under the dash around the door frame area (where hinges mount) for signs of falling rust. Take the kick-pad trim off and look behind them for rust flakes from the birdcage above, especially the windshield area.

IMHO, the number one item to check for on any old Corvette is R-U-S-T. Almosy anything else is easier to repair.

A bumper car is sweet. Numbers-matching means little to me, but it does to the marketplace.

As others have said, check for rust - birdcage (the area around the windshield), frame (especially in the rear kickup area) and the frame in general. Secondly, the condition of the interior, the engine, whether or not the components are original really matter. If you aren't familiar with Corvettes, pay to have someone inspect it for you.

As a side note, the side pipes are added. NO C3's, except 1969, had original, factory side pipes. Anything else is owner/dealer added.

Gary

Also, check the VIN tag. Then check the engine stamp pad. See if the "numbers match". Also check the block casting # and casting date.

I'd also check the trim tag. Make sure it's painted the correct color with the correct interior color/material.

Sounds like a nice car......................... BUT :)

If there are rust issues, non original motor, non original color exterior/interior, etc., those would influence the price.

AND, let me say one more thing. If I were selling any of my cars, there is NO WAY I would let anyone disassemble anything to look for birdcage rust, etc.

There is NO WAY I'm going to permit anyone to start taking off windshield trim, kick panels, dash panels, pull up carpets, etc. I draw the line there.

Put yourself in the owners position. There are way too many tire kickers, "test pilots", lookers, and those with NO MONEY or those looking for a "fire sale, who will offer you 10K less than you're asking. (They probably still don't have the money :) ) Rant over. :) Chuck

We don't see ads for bumper vettes in our local paper too often ... I have NO idea who it is or anything about it ... in today's (Sunday 6/09/06) Florence SC paper:

Chevy, '71 Corvette, LS5 454, 4speed, fully loaded, bright red, $22,000 OBO (843) 662-8520.

71 big block

over here in australia we would be paying as much as 50k for that beast,if it looks good and your happy ,then go for it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom