Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for a roof panel shade.

S

sierra5

Does anyone know where I can find a roof panel shade for the interior, to use on the transparent roof when my Vette is parked. I'm not interested in that static cling plastic wrap, more like a panel that would velcro up and be easy to remove or roll up. Thanks for your assistance!

Pretty sure they can be had through Ecklers,MAD,etc.

I made my own by ordering the headliner for a painted top from GM parts. It arrives finished on one side only. The side that goes against the top is basically one large piece of white tape. I had an upholstery shop cover this in the same fabric that matched the finished side and also sew six velcro fastening points around the perimeter. I also had them add two small leather finger loops to the underside at the rear to grasp for the purpose of detaching the liner when I wanted to pull it out. I then had a windshield/glass shop glue matching velcro fasteners around the perimeter of the glass top for attachment points. They must use a special heat resistant glue as the temperature between the top and the headliner gets extremely high and will melt most common glues. They basically fit the liner to the top for me. The set-up has worked quite well for the 2 1/2 years I've had my car. It takes about 5 seconds to install/detach the headliner and it can be done while seated in the driver's position. I simply pull it off and toss it in the back. It looks factory from the inside , because it is! You can not see it through the glass top from the outside. The top simply looks black. I did all of this because I could not find an acceptable alternative on the market at the time. Now I believe there is a similar product on the market that attaches with suction cups, but I haven't seen any posts from anybody that has one. If you like, I can look up the part number for you and give you some idea of the cost involved. I'll just need to dig through the files. Anyway, I can't imagine being without mine.

I purchased from MidAmerica a topshade (static-cling) and also the Head Liner Blackout which is a panel covered in headliner
style material to maintain a factory appearance . I really like the smoked clear top on my C5 but here in sunny calif the sun when parked just heats up my black on black C5 and man what a diffrence in temp.reduction So I left both on and just remove them in the spring, fall and winter,. I purchased my Y2K C5 new and now wished I had gotten both tops :beer

JOV said:
I purchased from MidAmerica a topshade (static-cling) and also the Head Liner Blackout which is a panel covered in headliner
style material to maintain a factory appearance . I really like the smoked clear top on my C5 but here in sunny calif the sun when parked just heats up my black on black C5 and man what a diffrence in temp.reduction So I left both on and just remove them in the spring, fall and winter,. I purchased my Y2K C5 new and now wished I had gotten both tops :beer

I just ordered a sunshade thru GM. It has adhesive on the top side, that goes against the glass, and just slides into place. With the discount they gave me it was about $65, about $85 list. So far I like it.

No luck finding a roof panel shade yet....

My local Chevy dealer could find no such part listed. Do you have a GM part number or different name for it? Also, there was no listing for a headliner blackout on the MidAmerica website. They both sound exactly what I'm looking for if I can track one down. Thanks for the help!

The part number that you are looking for is 10246988. This is the headliner panel for the painted top. It will need to be modified to work as I have outlined above. Try looking for it at: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ They usually have about the best prices. I didn't know about them when I bought my car a couple years ago so I got the panel from a dealer and paid too much. I'm looking at my invoice now and it looks like I paid $60.65 for it back in April, 2000. Then I paid the upholstery shop another $69.23 to have the sticky side covered (you don't want that against the glass, the adhesive would melt and run everywhere) and to sew the velcro fasteners and the finger pull loops on it. Then it was off to the galss shop to have them etch the top so they could glue the velcro pads to it. That was another $50.00. Total for the completed project for me was: $179.88. But it was done properly, looks factory, and I have never felt the need for the painted top. Just something to get in the way or store under a bed as far as I'm concerned. Hope this helps.

John L said:
The part number that you are looking for is 10246988. This is the headliner panel for the painted top. It will need to be modified to work as I have outlined above. Try looking for it at: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ They usually have about the best prices. I didn't know about them when I bought my car a couple years ago so I got the panel from a dealer and paid too much. I'm looking at my invoice now and it looks like I paid $60.65 for it back in April, 2000. Then I paid the upholstery shop another $69.23 to have the sticky side covered (you don't want that against the glass, the adhesive would melt and run everywhere) and to sew the velcro fasteners and the finger pull loops on it. Then it was off to the galss shop to have them etch the top so they could glue the velcro pads to it. That was another $50.00. Total for the completed project for me was: $179.88. But it was done properly, looks factory, and I have never felt the need for the painted top. Just something to get in the way or store under a bed as far as I'm concerned. Hope this helps.

I have the glass top, and just called my local dealer. At first the parts guy didnt know what I was talking about, because I think they only see a Vette about every 6 months. He looked thru his parts screen and came up with it. Its black felt on the bottom, and sort of a yellow-adhesive surace on the top. Email me and I can probably get the part number from my parts order form.

I just checked GMPartsDirect and they have the headliner panel listed for $51.60 plus shipping. That is the correct part number (the one I posted above).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom