Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking for advice from Corvette enthusiasts...

P

pjt

Hi all you Corvette enthusiasts!!!

I recently purchased a 1988 Corvette. She is an automatic and when she runs--she really runs BUT
lately I have been having a terrible time with her. She wants to start but then stalls out immediately. I have had her towed 3 times to 3 different garages (2 of them being local Chevrolet dealers) but no one seems to be able to determine what the issue is. I have replaced soooooo many different parts but the issues still remains. Here is a list of the parts I have replaced so far:
Battery, mass airflow sensor, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator,intake hose,lock cylinder and 2 new vat keys, numerous other "sensors" that I was told were bad. I am at a loss here. I am trying to find a "seasoned and well experience corvette mechanic that knows the older models". She has not started since Christmas day. I don't have the history on her but obviously there is something wrong. She wants to start---but will not remain started. Any ideas?????? Spring is fast approaching and I want to drive her--not look at her taking up space in my garage.....Any help will be appreciated.....:ugh

Welcome to CAC. I have copied your post to the C4 tech area. I left the original here so folks can say howdy!

Welcome to CAC!!!!
enjoy!!!
just a thought,check the timing.

Welcome to the CAC......hope someone can help you.....I was going to say fuel pump but you changed that out.........

Looks like the only thing you haven't replaced is the Ignition Coil and Ignition Module in the distributor!~ :L

Both of them can have the same symptoms your having,Replaced allot of L98 ignition modules in my time! :thumb

:beer

Maybe the pick up coil under the ignition module. My 85 was running rough and like you started replacing everything I could think of . I finally figured out I had a bad injector by checking the resistance on them all. Should be between 16 and 17 ohms. One wasn't reading at all. C4s are famous for having grounding problems also. Rule of thumb check spark then fuel it may point you in right direction.

Won't Idle

I had a similar problem. I could get it to run once it was started by opening the throttle some. Originally it showed codes when tested then latter no codes.

Mine turned out to be a bad ECM. It is fairly easy to change and reasonable ($110 at Rockauto).

I suggest you check codes first.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom